Thread: Tinker Class

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
52
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    outside of this website tinker is almost never mentioned. such an unpopular class idea isnt likely.

    next class will likely be something like a dark ranger, demon hunter, spellbreaker or dragonsworn, one of the popular class choices that pop up frequently on multiple fansites.

    tinker is thankfully contained to only this site.
    Actually there's numerous mentions of a Tinker class on the official forums as well.

    Let's also not forget the inclusion of a mechanical/technology class in several recent MMOs and RPG games.

    The classes you mention overlap terribly with existing classes. Heck, every class you mentioned above already have abilities in existing classes.

    Tinkers on the other hand come from an untapped archetype that has the potential to cause no class overlap at all, and properly represent a very underrepresented aspect of the game on the class side of things.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Methias View Post
    I'm sorry but you're also ignoring the following:

    Pure Melee DPS: Rogue
    Melee / Tank Hybrid: Warrior / DK
    Pure Ranged: Mage / Warlock / Hunter
    DPS / Tank / Healer Hybrid: Paladin / Druid / Monk
    DPS / Healer Hybrid: Priest / Shaman

    So surely, based on this theory with very little evidence, the next class will be a pure melee DPS. I don't see how this is any different that using Armor Classes as an excuse.
    It doesn't really work in that fashion. Its broken down by pure DPS, 2 role Hybrids, and Full Hybrids. This explains why Monks were brought in as a full hybrid (despite being fully capable of being a pure dps melee class), because there was only 2 full hybrids in the game at the time.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post

    In short - I don't think a "Tinker" is a good choice for a new class, but a Tech themed class has potential. Blizzard, of course, could got with a Bounty Hunter/Warden archetype or Bard or some other archetype instead.
    Or they could go with an archetype that actually makes sense from a class perspective, and exists in the Warcraft universe.

    The Tinker class.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-08-31 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Actually there's numerous mentions of a Tinker class on the official forums as well.

    Let's also not forget the inclusion of a mechanical/technology class in several recent MMOs and RPG games.

    The classes you mention overlap terribly with existing classes. Heck, every class you mentioned above already have abilities in existing classes.

    Tinkers on the other hand come from an untapped archetype that has the potential to cause no class overlap at all, and properly represent a very underrepresented aspect of the game on the class side of things.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It doesn't really work in that fashion. Its broken down by pure DPS, 2 role Hybrids, and Full Hybrids.

    Also the last thing this game needs is another pure melee DPS class. Blizzard is having a hard enough time making the Rogue specs different from one another. Let's also not forget all the other melee DPS currently in the game.
    Fair enough, but even so I don't see how armor class is a huge pulling factor. Don't get me wrong, the rest of what you wrote is more than understandable. And quite frankly I do think you're onto something xP. But you could also look at who uses certain weapons and pull a conclusion from that, because that (Imo) is no different. I suppose you could also do it by what main stat is stacked for a class, but that doesn't really work for hybrids so I won't dwell on that bit.. xD. But I will also say that the last thing this game needs is another ranged DPS. There's so bloody many that they're pretty damn similar anyway. The only thing I feel that adds any spice in that department are warlocks, and even their specs feel like other classes with a new resource. Destruction - Mage, Affliction - Spriest, Demo - Mage who turns into a demon. At the very least, that's how I feel when I'm playing that class.

    With that, I just see a Tinker ending up as a glorified hunter. The gadgets they use being similar to hunter traps, attacking from range with a gun. Occassional burst rockets / hunter shots. I dunno, I'm not really trying to argue because I personally think you're on the right track xD. But I'd rather see Blizzard go for a Warlock level overhaul of every other class than see another being added. Make the classes they've already got unique than adding another homogenized class to the mix =/.

    Edit: Very little knowledge on the Tinker as a Class btw, that may be seen in my last paragraph :]

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Or they could go with an archetype that actually makes sense from a class perspective, and exists in the Warcraft universe.

    The Tinker class.
    A Warden class could incorporate the Bounty Hunter and Ranger archetypes easily enough, and while they appear to be wearing plate armour, its flexible enough that it can be described as mail.

    The theme would fit in with the game, would allow for ranged and melee DPS as well as tanking and would offer an opportunity to show case Maeve and develop Night Elf lore through the Wardens. With Naisha, it could also fit in to a BL or Azshara XPac. You could also incorporate stealth mechanics beyond the leather archetype, which may allow for greater gameplay including such elements.

    The downside would be the look of the actual Wardens...which would be a NElf staple. You'd not really be able to give that look to the Horde...hasn't stopped Blizzard before though...but it would make a great set of transmog armor from the faction.

    EJL

  4. #24
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Methias View Post
    Fair enough, but even so I don't see how armor class is a huge pulling factor. Don't get me wrong, the rest of what you wrote is more than understandable. And quite frankly I do think you're onto something xP. But you could also look at who uses certain weapons and pull a conclusion from that, because that (Imo) is no different. I suppose you could also do it by what main stat is stacked for a class, but that doesn't really work for hybrids so I won't dwell on that bit.. xD. But I will also say that the last thing this game needs is another ranged DPS. There's so bloody many that they're pretty damn similar anyway. The only thing I feel that adds any spice in that department are warlocks, and even their specs feel like other classes with a new resource. Destruction - Mage, Affliction - Spriest, Demo - Mage who turns into a demon. At the very least, that's how I feel when I'm playing that class.

    With that, I just see a Tinker ending up as a glorified hunter. The gadgets they use being similar to hunter traps, attacking from range with a gun. Occassional burst rockets / hunter shots. I dunno, I'm not really trying to argue because I personally think you're on the right track xD. But I'd rather see Blizzard go for a Warlock level overhaul of every other class than see another being added. Make the classes they've already got unique than adding another homogenized class to the mix =/.

    Edit: Very little knowledge on the Tinker as a Class btw, that may be seen in my last paragraph :]
    Well the Tinker hero was melee, so it doesn't need to be a Hunter derivative. One avenue Blizzard could go in is a class that can use melee and ranged weapons interchangeably, and have skills and abilities that adjust accordingly. You see this in Torchlight 2 with the Engineer that can tank or DPS using either melee weapons or ranged weapons. Thus, Tinkers who want to be melee can be melee, and Tinkers that want to be ranged can be ranged. Sort of how Mistweaver Monks currently work.

    Another avenue that is possible is to make the class Goblin and Gnome only. This would allow the class to utilize a lot more flavor from the game universe, and allow the use of Mechs like some bosses (Black Fuse, Gallywix, and Thermaplugg) have utilized in the game. It would also allow a new form of combat in WoW that is used in other games that have technology classes. Let's also not forget that Druids were restricted to 2 races for the majority of WoW's lifespan, yet was still one of the most popular classes around.

    In short, there's a variety of ways this class could be implemented. Being a Hunter derivative is just one out of many.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-08-31 at 03:24 PM.

  5. #25
    Oh god. Op good job. Awakened this shitstorm. The tinker fans are like extreme feminists ive come to realize. They ignore all reason and when you say something they dont like they beat you up and harass you. Just stop posting in this thread if you want to maintain decency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

  6. #26
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    A Warden class could incorporate the Bounty Hunter and Ranger archetypes easily enough, and while they appear to be wearing plate armour, its flexible enough that it can be described as mail.
    The problem being that the Hunter class already covers both of those archetypes.

    The theme would fit in with the game, would allow for ranged and melee DPS as well as tanking and would offer an opportunity to show case Maeve and develop Night Elf lore through the Wardens. With Naisha, it could also fit in to a BL or Azshara XPac. You could also incorporate stealth mechanics beyond the leather archetype, which may allow for greater gameplay including such elements.
    Already covered by Hunters and Rogues. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunter and Rogue updates coming next expansion completely incorporates Warden and Ranger elements. It would make sense given those classes' already strong connections to the hero units.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    outside of this website tinker is almost never mentioned. such an unpopular class idea isnt likely.

    next class will likely be something like a dark ranger, demon hunter, spellbreaker or dragonsworn, one of the popular class choices that pop up frequently on multiple fansites.

    tinker is thankfully contained to only this site.
    I strongly disagree, tinker threads were always popular even at US battle.net suggestion forums. even more popular than monks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Unholy Blight = Locust Swarm
    by using your own theory about the goblin rocket ability i can say that because Unholy Blight and Locust swarm do different stuff so they are not related to each other.

    Locust Swarm (Ultimate)

    Creates a swarm of angry locusts that bite and tear at nearby enemy units. As they chew the enemy flesh, they convert it into a substance that restores hit points to the Crypt Lord when they return.


    Unholy Blight
    Surrounded by a vile swarm of unholy insects.
    Infecting nearby enemies with Blood Plague and Frost Fever every 1 sec.
    Duration: 10 seconds

    Related debuffs :

    blood plague :

    Disease
    Blood Plague
    Suffering X Shadow damage per 3 sec.
    Duration: 30 seconds


    frost fever :

    Disease
    Frost Fever
    Suffering X Frost damage per 3 sec.
    Duration: 30 seconds

    please bear in mind that me disagreeing with you on this topic does not mean i'm trying to bash your tinker idea. in fact im a strong supporter of tinker.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    I strongly disagree, tinker threads were always popular even at US battle.net suggestion forums. even more popular than monks.
    brewmasters have always been the 2nd most wanted class behind only the demon hunter.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The problem being that the Hunter class already covers both of those archetypes.
    In that case, it also covers the Tinker.

    Or hasn't one of your arguments been that the tinker could incorporate a physical ranged aspect? If you are going to be that strict, then you may as well rule out any class ever getting a ranged DPS option.

    Then we get to the Paladin, Warrior and Death Knight. We also have the issue that the Hunter COULD cover the Ranger...but not really the Bounty Hunter or Warden archetypes.

    EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-08-31 at 04:06 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    brewmasters have always been the 2nd most wanted class behind only the demon hunter.
    im talking about the monk idea. back when it wasn't mixed with the brewmaster and was only "an unarmed class that does kung fu." sort of idea and was based on scarlet monks with no relation to brewmaster whatsoever.

  11. #31
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post



    by using your own theory about the goblin rocket ability i can say that because Unholy Blight and Locust swarm do different stuff so they are not related to each other.

    Locust Swarm (Ultimate)

    Creates a swarm of angry locusts that bite and tear at nearby enemy units. As they chew the enemy flesh, they convert it into a substance that restores hit points to the Crypt Lord when they return.


    Unholy Blight
    Surrounded by a vile swarm of unholy insects.
    Infecting nearby enemies with Blood Plague and Frost Fever every 1 sec.
    Duration: 10 seconds

    Related debuffs :

    blood plague :

    Disease
    Blood Plague
    Suffering X Shadow damage per 3 sec.
    Duration: 30 seconds


    frost fever :

    Disease
    Frost Fever
    Suffering X Frost damage per 3 sec.
    Duration: 30 seconds
    The difference here is that we know that during the development of WotLK, Locust Swarm was changed to Unholy Blight. Additionally, the spells effects have been changed constantly since WotLk.

    Also, most understand that spells designed for giant insects need to be altered for use by other races.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Warlock, fourth specilization, Demon Hunter, melee dual wielding spec which primarily uses warglaives. That would be the easiest implementation by far.

    If Demon Hunter was its very own class I have no idea what the third spec would be, melee DPS, melee tank, and then what? Also, Demon Hunters use very light armor, next to none if you look at Illidan. The next class is very likely going to be a mail wearing one considering we only have two of those, and having Demon Hunters wear mail would just not be right...

    As for Tinkers, GC commented on it being a humorous idea but not something they are currently working on. I definitely feel that it could work, if done right, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see it any time soon.
    They've all but ruled out 4th specs entirely. If we see Demon Hunters, they'll be their own class.

  13. #33
    I've seen tons of people recently say how if we get a new class it will "most likely be the Tinker" So, I was wondering is there any actual evidence? Other than we don't have a "tech" class, and people really want one? It seems to be the way it goes on the forums, a couple people get an idea, they throw their opinion as fact, then some people foolishly believe it and start spreading it, So I was curious is there any evidence this time around to what I keep seeing?
    Why don't we just bug Blizzard to fix the other 11 classes first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  14. #34
    There's no evidence that suggest tinker will be the new class. It's just one of the ideas of many classes people want.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They've all but ruled out 4th specs entirely. If we see Demon Hunters, they'll be their own class.
    Or they'll just rename "demonology" to "demon hunting" to make people stop whining about it.
    The Abbot at first tried to console Pai Mei, only to find Pai Mei was... inconsolable.

  16. #36
    I'm open to most class ideas that I've read except for tinker. The entire concept of this class does not strike me as WoW material and I personally really do not hope it shows up.

  17. #37
    Tinker in Warcraft is kinda whimsical. MoP has that light-hearted theme when it was released so I kinda think next xpac Blizzard will explore more serious tone of Warcraft and the new class will likely fit the theme.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Or they'll just rename "demonology" to "demon hunting" to make people stop whining about it.
    You think that a ranged DPS caster spec, unavailable to Night Elves, being renamed Demon Hunter would sait those looking to play a dual wielding melee DPS class iconic of Night Elven lore?

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They've all but ruled out 4th specs entirely. If we see Demon Hunters, they'll be their own class.
    They have? The last blue post I saw concerning fourth specs was that it's something they would do little by little, if they were to do it, not all classes in one expansion as that would be too much work, but perhaps 2-3 specs per expansion. But I haven't seen them making any statement that it will never happen, and I don't see why it couldn't happen either considering Druids.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I've seen tons of people recently say how if we get a new class it will "most likely be the Tinker" So, I was wondering is there any actual evidence? Other than we don't have a "tech" class, and people really want one? It seems to be the way it goes on the forums, a couple people get an idea, they throw their opinion as fact, then some people foolishly believe it and start spreading it, So I was curious is there any evidence this time around to what I keep seeing?
    There's not actually any solid evidence. There are a few hints though. This expansion has seen a proliferation of tinker npcs and bosses. Every third boss in the Brawler's Guild is a tinker, three bosses in the Battle on the High Seas scenario, two bosses in Siege are going to be a tinker's creation and the tinker himself, respectively, and the final boss is going to have siege engineer adds. There are many more examples than these. Mekkatorque is going to melt some faces in the upcoming raid, and Gallywix got a short story all to himself.

    Now, a blue post is on the record saying that tinkers might be "too whimsical" to be implemented. It should be noted that they said the same thing about Pandaren two months before MoP was announced. They've also never been shy of adding technological npcs and sci fi constructs to the game, so the statement is questionable on its face.

    At the end of the day, does any of this mean anything concrete one way or the other? No. But as others have said, it's fun to speculate. And the tinker concept does have a large number of fans, given the polls I've seen, who would love to see them added.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •