1. #1

    Returning after 2 years and a bit lost - Arygos Server

    If this needs to be moved to a different forum, feel free, but I am just trying to find an active forum to get some questions answered and possibly some direction to returning to the game or finding a new guild on the Arygos server.

    I quit WoW right before the Firelands patch, which was apparently June of 2011. Nostalgia and some of the podcasts like Convert to Raid and Tauren Think Tank convinced me to come back before I missed out on Pandaria completely. I have played each expansion for 6 to 8 month before realizing I was in guilds too small to raid seriously, and didn't want to leave friends behind just to see the end content.

    However, this time back in the game, I don't know anyone that still plays, horde side of my server is dead, the guild I was in is dead, all the classes were completely reworked, and I'm pretty lost.

    Main character on Arygos is Flogg, but I have four other level 85 alts, 2 Horde, 2 Alliance, so my questions are as follows:

    1. Is there any reason to go back through Firelands content on any of my toons, whether just to see it or for item quests? Are there still 85's or 90's raiding that content?

    2. What current content/factions do I need to work on, which can I ignore? Main is a LW, one alt is an Ench, one blacksmith, so I assume I will need to do some rep grinding for patterns and such.

    3. Is there a good place to start searching for a guild in which I can stay on my server as well as work through old content with some likeminded adult gamers who also have work and home repairs and countless other things taking up their time? At level 90 and 481 item level can I just dive into LFR without getting my ass chewed for not knowing all there is to know about the content (assuming I read strategies at the minimum, I don't like watching all the fights before hand, ruins a bit of the intrigue).

    I would like to spend 2 or 3 nights really digging into the game, but I am pretty lost with 5.4 hitting a week after I return to the game.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,086
    You can use our guild recruitment forums to find a guild.

    1 - No. Firelands is gone in terms of need. Instead a fresh 90 can go to the Timeless Isle and open chests (and kill rares) to pick up 496 gear that can be upgraded to 535 in preparation for doing LFR or Flexible Siege of Orgrimmar. There are a lot of guides if you just google Timeless Isle

    2 - For professions I'm not sure. You can't grind Golden Lotus quite like you used to prior to the new patch as the entire Vale has been completely changed and their quests and questline removed. Tailoring is August Celestials, that I know.

    3 - Use our guild recruitment forum!



  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by flogg View Post
    If this needs to be moved to a different forum, feel free, but I am just trying to find an active forum to get some questions answered and possibly some direction to returning to the game or finding a new guild on the Arygos server.

    I quit WoW right before the Firelands patch, which was apparently June of 2011. Nostalgia and some of the podcasts like Convert to Raid and Tauren Think Tank convinced me to come back before I missed out on Pandaria completely. I have played each expansion for 6 to 8 month before realizing I was in guilds too small to raid seriously, and didn't want to leave friends behind just to see the end content.

    However, this time back in the game, I don't know anyone that still plays, horde side of my server is dead, the guild I was in is dead, all the classes were completely reworked, and I'm pretty lost.

    Main character on Arygos is Flogg, but I have four other level 85 alts, 2 Horde, 2 Alliance, so my questions are as follows:

    1. Is there any reason to go back through Firelands content on any of my toons, whether just to see it or for item quests? Are there still 85's or 90's raiding that content?

    2. What current content/factions do I need to work on, which can I ignore? Main is a LW, one alt is an Ench, one blacksmith, so I assume I will need to do some rep grinding for patterns and such.

    3. Is there a good place to start searching for a guild in which I can stay on my server as well as work through old content with some likeminded adult gamers who also have work and home repairs and countless other things taking up their time? At level 90 and 481 item level can I just dive into LFR without getting my ass chewed for not knowing all there is to know about the content (assuming I read strategies at the minimum, I don't like watching all the fights before hand, ruins a bit of the intrigue).

    I would like to spend 2 or 3 nights really digging into the game, but I am pretty lost with 5.4 hitting a week after I return to the game.

    Thanks for any advice.
    1. No.
    2. At this point all factions are optional as gear can be obtained in other ways. Wrathion the black prince if you want the legendary. Current rep grind is Shaohao.
    3. unless you are planning on doing normals or heroics, guilds are jsut for talking and repairs now. Jump into lfr and enjoy. 481 is plenty high enough for all lfr's pre SoO. You should get enough gear from them (or upgrade with valor points for 250 each upgrade) to hit 496 for SoO within a week or two. Then you will be caught up with the majority of the player base.

    - - - Updated - - -

    look for bellular gaming timeless isle guide (or many other guides) on youtube. bellular does a ton of great guides. I usually repost them in the video section here on MMO.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by flogg View Post
    1. Is there any reason to go back through Firelands content on any of my toons, whether just to see it or for item quests? Are there still 85's or 90's raiding that content?

    2. What current content/factions do I need to work on, which can I ignore? Main is a LW, one alt is an Ench, one blacksmith, so I assume I will need to do some rep grinding for patterns and such.

    3. Is there a good place to start searching for a guild in which I can stay on my server as well as work through old content with some likeminded adult gamers who also have work and home repairs and countless other things taking up their time? At level 90 and 481 item level can I just dive into LFR without getting my ass chewed for not knowing all there is to know about the content (assuming I read strategies at the minimum, I don't like watching all the fights before hand, ruins a bit of the intrigue).

    I would like to spend 2 or 3 nights really digging into the game, but I am pretty lost with 5.4 hitting a week after I return to the game.

    Thanks for any advice.
    1. If you just want to see Firelands and DS and any of the other raids you've missed i'd recommend downloading an addon called oQueue which allows you to create/join groups x-realm. FL runs are very popular, as is Dragonsoul. You'll find the older MoP raids on there as well and is much easier than trying to create/join groups on a dead realm.

    2. For Enchanting you'll need to get revered with Shado Pan for the weapon enchants and either revered or exalted (can't remember exactly) with the August Celestials to get the bracer enchants. Not sure which faction has the LW and BS patterns. Aside from doing the daily quests they offer, another great way to get rep is to farm Zandalari Warbringers and scouts. They have a chance to drop 1k rep tokens for the various factions. Scouts are soloable, but with your ilvl you'll probably need to find a group to take down the Warbringers. Again, oQueue is a great tool to use for this because there is always people making groups for them.

    3. Only advice I can give is check your servers forums.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Noshii View Post
    1. If you just want to see Firelands and DS and any of the other raids you've missed i'd recommend downloading an addon called oQueue which allows you to create/join groups x-realm. FL runs are very popular, as is Dragonsoul. You'll find the older MoP raids on there as well and is much easier than trying to create/join groups on a dead realm.

    2. For Enchanting you'll need to get revered with Shado Pan for the weapon enchants and either revered or exalted (can't remember exactly) with the August Celestials to get the bracer enchants. Not sure which faction has the LW and BS patterns. Aside from doing the daily quests they offer, another great way to get rep is to farm Zandalari Warbringers and scouts. They have a chance to drop 1k rep tokens for the various factions. Scouts are soloable, but with your ilvl you'll probably need to find a group to take down the Warbringers. Again, oQueue is a great tool to use for this because there is always people making groups for them.

    3. Only advice I can give is check your servers forums.
    Actually gave me a tip with oqueue. will be checking that out once i get done with SoO tonight on LFR.

  6. #6
    1. Ignore Firelands and most things that were Cataclysm related. That expac almost killed the game. Blizz has fixed many things with the new expac and you are best to just hop into Pandaria and begin enjoying the great new content.

    2. Most of the initial factions aren't all that relevant now for gearing or professions. There might a reason or two to go back once you've maxed your toon and pick up things you missed, but I"d go straight to current content after you've leveled. One faction I recommend strongly is the Tillers faction which is found in the Halfhill Market in Valley of the Four Winds. They will provide the ability to start a farm that you can eventually buy. On this farm you can plant crops that yield mats or resources for amost everything. And it's fun and well done too!

    3. Go to your realm forum on Blizzards forums. It's the fastest place to see who is recruiting from your realm. Alternatively, you can check out the actual recruitment forums on the Blizzard forums or here at MMO. Another good place to look is Wowprogress.com since you can go to your realm and get an idea for who is raiding at your level or the level you want to be at. They will tell you on their page if they are recruiting and who/what they are looking for.

    Good luck and welcome back. Mists is light years ahead of the Cata expac .. so enjoy!

  7. #7
    I'd really love for Blizzard to one day make every single dungeon and raid be scaled up to maximum level and have the gear drops relevant too. Would give everyone so many options. One day!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    I'd really love for Blizzard to one day make every single dungeon and raid be scaled up to maximum level and have the gear drops relevant too. Would give everyone so many options. One day!
    Pay attention to blizzcon. they pretty much already announced they will be doing this.

    reward system is what needs to be figured out.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbgr View Post
    Pay attention to blizzcon. they pretty much already announced they will be doing this.

    reward system is what needs to be figured out.
    Awesome, that's great news!

  10. #10
    I just want to point out that getting to lvl 600 is a lot easier in MOP than 525 in Cata just simply by doing quests in the various zones. I'm a LW and I hit 600 on skinning quite easily. I'm not quite 600 on lw because I'm hording Mats to use on that one item that allows me to learn new recipes. I'm quite happy about the changes they have made in MOP.

  11. #11
    This is a lot of the info I was looking for, I will definitely check out oQueue. Thanks for the replies.

    Blizzard's Arygos forum gets about one post a week, but I will try some LFR's, then post up here once I decide how much time I can put into the game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •