Thread: Tinker Class

Page 1 of 63
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Tinker Class

I've seen tons of people recently say how if we get a new class it will "most likely be the Tinker" So, I was wondering is there any actual evidence? Other than we don't have a "tech" class, and people really want one? It seems to be the way it goes on the forums, a couple people get an idea, they throw their opinion as fact, then some people foolishly believe it and start spreading it, So I was curious is there any evidence this time around to what I keep seeing?

Hopes and Dreams i guess?

But in all Seriousness, I have not seen anything Blizz related to the Subject, myself..Doesn't mean there has not been however.

Deleted
    No evidence, tinker class idea is just something someone came up with and somehow some (a lot of) people started to like.

Demon hunter 4 ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SirAaron View Post
    No evidence, tinker class idea is just something someone came up with and somehow some (a lot of) people started to like.

Demon hunter 4 ever.
    No Offence but i don't think the Demon Hunter will ever become a Playable class either..Best you can get is a Demo Warlock with dark apotheosis It's an awesome concept but i just don't think Blizz will take the time to do it..and even if they did..they would not give it the justice it deserves

There is probably objectively more player interest in Demon Hunter than Tinker... just ask yourself if more people like Illidan than Mekkatorque. Lol? There will be a lore hook to whatever new class but it will have to also be something that enough people are interested in to make it worth the development time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkan View Post
    No Offence but i don't think the Demon Hunter will ever become a Playable class either..Best you can get is a Demo Warlock with dark apotheosis It's an awesome concept but i just don't think Blizz will take the time to do it..and even if they did..they would not give it the justice it deserves
    Warlock, fourth specilization, Demon Hunter, melee dual wielding spec which primarily uses warglaives. That would be the easiest implementation by far.

If Demon Hunter was its very own class I have no idea what the third spec would be, melee DPS, melee tank, and then what? Also, Demon Hunters use very light armor, next to none if you look at Illidan. The next class is very likely going to be a mail wearing one considering we only have two of those, and having Demon Hunters wear mail would just not be right...

As for Tinkers, GC commented on it being a humorous idea but not something they are currently working on. I definitely feel that it could work, if done right, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see it any time soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    do you mean "is there any trace of tinkers in lore?" then the answer is yes.

but if you mean "is there any evidence that suggests tinkers will BECOME a class in future?" nothing yet so far. but tinker fans (myself included) like to make everything we see or hear into a hint.

I hope there will be a tinker. but unless we see any solid proof via leaks or official announcements the answer is no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I've seen tons of people recently say how if we get a new class it will "most likely be the Tinker" So, I was wondering is there any actual evidence? Other than we don't have a "tech" class, and people really want one? It seems to be the way it goes on the forums, a couple people get an idea, they throw their opinion as fact, then some people foolishly believe it and start spreading it, So I was curious is there any evidence this time around to what I keep seeing?
    The reasons;

1. The Tinker Hero.

Its pretty well know that Blizzard has pulled their expansion classes directly from WC3 heroes. First we had the Death Knight which was a combination of the Undead's hero units. Then we had Monks which were based from the Pandaren Brewmaster, and standard Monk archetypes. So its a pretty good bet that the next class will emerge from WoW's roster of hero units. However, several hero unit abilities currently reside within other WoW classes. Here is a list of the WC3 heroes, and the classes who have their abilities. Please note that all heroes have 4 abilities, so if the majority of those abilities are being used by other classes, it greatly diminishes the chance of a class based on that hero showing up in the game.

Also please note that I only included abilities that used the same name as the ability in question;

Orcs:
    Blademaster: 2 Mages/Warriors
    Shadow Hunter: 3 Shaman
    Farseer: 4 Shaman
    Tauren Chieftain: 3 Warriors/Tauren Racial/Shaman

Humans:
    Archemage: 3 Mages
    Blood Mage: 3 Mages/Warlocks (Drain Mana has been removed from the game)
    Mountain King: 3 Warriors
    Paladin: 3 Paladins

Night Elves:
    Keeper of the Grove: 4 Druids (Thorns was removed from the game)
    Priestess of the Moon: 2 Hunters/Druids
    Warden: 2 Mages/Rogues
    Demon Hunter: 4 Rogues/Warlocks/Priest (Mana Burn was removed from the game)

Undead:
    Death Knight: 4 Death Knight
    Lich: 3 Death Knight/Mages
    Dreadlord: 4 Warlocks/Death Knights
    Crypt Lord: 1 Death Knights

Neutral:
    Naga Sea Witch: 1 Mages (Mana shield was removed from the game. Replaced with Incanter's Ward in MoP)
    Dark Ranger: 3 Hunters/Priests/Warlocks (Drain Life was changed into Harvest Life in MoP)
    Brewmaster: 4 Monks
    Beastmaster: 1 Hunters
    Pit Lord: 3 Warlocks
    Goblin Tinker: 0
    Firelord: 2 Warlocks
    Goblin Alchemist:0

So as you can see, the only heroes left that have no ability represenation in WoW are the Tinker unit and the Alchemist unit.

2. The loot hole.

Currently nearly every armor set has 3 classes using it. The only armor set that is still only using 2 classes is the mail armor set. A Tinker class could fill that gap easily, since it wouldn't go against the Tinker's lore to wear mail armor. Another big loot gap is bow/gun weapons. This gap is somewhat justified since Hunters can really only use Ranged weapons now. However, it does bother some that only one class can use 3 families of weapons with no competition. The 4th ranged weapon, Wands can be used by 3 different classes. It seems kind of imbalanced for all parities involved. A Tinker class could also use ranged weapons such as guns and crossbows and not break its lore.

3. Thematics.

As we enter the winter of WoW's life cycle, its getting harder and harder to think of unique class concepts that have a connection to the original RTS and the game itself. Monks came dangerously close to being too much like Rogues. Thankfully the unique style of the Pandaren Brewmaster, alongside a highly imaginative healing spec and resource system allowed Monks to still be a unique and entertaining class with a strong connection to the source material. I've always felt that one of the great strengths of WoW is that Blizzard is very particular about what classes they bring into the game. Sure fans would have loved to see a Necromancer in the game, but Blizzard instead chose to bring in a Death Knight with Necromantic abilities. So instead of adding yet ANOTHER clothie caster to the game that clashed with an existing class just because it was popular, Blizzard introduced a slightly less popular class that fit the game's dynamic (and loot tables) better.

The Tinker would also be a very unique class concept in a class roster filled with traditional casters and old fashioned knights in armor swinging swords around. If implemented, this class would never be confused for another class in the game. Also it is the only class that is highly different than Hunters, but could still logically share guns and crossbows with them. Tinker would be unlike any other class that has ever been introduced. It would also finally give non-melee players a chance to play something new. Again, since none of its core abilities are in the spell books of other classes, the class wouldn't step on any toes during the implementation process.

4. Hybrid Vigor

Tinkers could clearly fit any role in the game. They could be melee, they could be ranged, they could be casters, they could fire weapons, they could heal their allies, they could tank, etc. Whatever Blizzard needs, the Tinker could fill the role pretty easily. A Dark Ranger could never tank or heal a raid, but a Tinker could, and it would make perfect sense. This is especially important since there is no 4th tri-spec (healing/tank/DPS) class currently in the game, and Blizzard may want to introduce such a class to finish off the class roster.

5. Racial Harmony

Like Monks before them, a Tinker class could be played by any race in the game. Like Martial Arts, technical know-how can be taught to anyone. This adds to a class' chance of implementation, because clearly the developers want class concepts that can be applied to as many races as possible. Everyone doesn't like Elves or Goblins, so the option to potentially be able to play a new class on your race of choice is highly attractive to the game developers.

Also let's remember that Goblins and especially Gnomes need some love and some lore. These are two highly advanced races that have seemingly been looked over as the game has progressed. It would be cool to see Goblins and Gnomes finally have a class that properly reflects their unique cultures. Afterall, its pretty jarring to drive around in a car during the Goblin starting zone, and then hop out wearing a full suit of armor with a sword and shield.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    There is probably objectively more player interest in Demon Hunter than Tinker... just ask yourself if more people like Illidan than Mekkatorque. Lol? There will be a lore hook to whatever new class but it will have to also be something that enough people are interested in to make it worth the development time.
    We just had a poll where Tinkers beat out Demon Hunters by about 40 votes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope we don't get a tech class, I don't think they'd really fit in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The reasons;

Neutral:
    Naga Sea Witch: 1 Mages (Mana shield was removed from the game. Replaced with Incanter's Ward in MoP)
    Dark Ranger: 3 Hunters/Priests/Warlocks (Drain Life was changed into Harvest Life in MoP)
    Brewmaster: 4 Monks
    Beastmaster: 1 Hunters
    Pit Lord: 3 Warlocks
    Goblin Tinker: 1 Goblin racial
    Firelord: 2 Warlocks
    Goblin Alchemist:0
    fixed it for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reasons;...
    The only thing where I don't fully agree is the armor.
    agi mail is used by 4 speccs
    int mail by 2
    and int plate by 1

in this reasoning having a class use int plate would make more sense
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    fixed it for you.
    Rocket Barrage (Goblin Racial)

Launches your belt rockets at an enemy, dealing fire damage

Cluster Rockets (Tinker ability)

Bombards an area with rockets, stunning enemy land units for 1 second and damaging nearby enemy units.
    Not the same ability. They don't even have the same name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drakiru View Post
    The only thing where I don't fully agree is the armor.
    agi mail is used by 4 speccs
    int mail by 2
    and int plate by 1

in this reasoning having a class use int plate would make more sense
    Agi leather was used by 5 specs. That didn't stop Blizzard from adding 2 more Agi leather specs in MoP.

Classes > Specs in terms of armor balance. In that regard, plate is full at three classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I really hope we don't get a tech class, I don't think they'd really fit in.
    Really? We rode into Pandaria on a massive airship. We've fought various robot bosses in a variety of raids. We've had siege tanks and mechanized shredders since WC3, and two races are entirely based around technology and robotics. Gnomes themselves are technically mechanical beings.

Anyone see the Iron Juggernaut? Siegecrafter Blackfuse? the Skygolem?

If anything, a tech class is long overdue.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    None. There is no evidence. Odds are good we won't get a new class this XPac...but it's fun to speculate.

As for tinker...its nice and flexible, with a wide selection of roles and themes, offers the potential to expand upon Gnome lore and doesn't have a strong overlap in theme, abilities or looks with any other existing class while still offering the opportunity for a unique look and feel. In short, it ticks a lot of checkboxes for a new class.

Downsides? It may in some ways be too similar to the Hunter, its potentially very restrictive race wise on the Horde side, there is a potential degree of overlap with the Engineering profession, it may not fit the Warcraft theme that well (WoW is still largely fantasy) and the existing Tinker class model from WC3 is too whimsical for a player class.

In short - I don't think a "Tinker" is a good choice for a new class, but a Tech themed class has potential. Blizzard, of course, could got with a Bounty Hunter/Warden archetype or Bard or some other archetype instead.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-08-31 at 02:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rocket Barrage (Goblin Racial)
    Cluster Rockets (Tinker ability)
    Not the same ability. They don't even have the same name.
    the other one stuns, the other one damages. they're both rockets fired from a goblin.

the theme is the same.

---
    and i don't see any crypt lord abilities used by DKs. care to enlighten me?

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread again? /facepalm

I'd rather see something more badass, like a demon hunter or a warden.

- - - Updated - - -

the other one stuns, the other one damages. they're both rockets fired from a goblin.

the theme is the same.

---
    unholy blight might be one
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account

the theme is the same.
    That's like saying Incinerate, Lava Burst, and Pyroblast are all the same abilities because you're shooting hot stuff at a target. Each has different animations, different purposes, and do different things for their respective specs.

Not the same ability.

Unholy Blight is the WoW version of Locust Swarm. I lost the link, but Blizzard explains why they changed the name in WotLK.

nobody ever mentioned the tinker except very rarely until teriz made a kajillion threads about it.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    nobody ever mentioned the tinker except very rarely until teriz made a kajillion threads about it.
    I've only made about 5 threads. Its not my fault that people find the topic interesting and agree with my PoV.

The evidence simply backs a Tinker/technology class inclusion. That isn't my doing, it's Blizzard's.

outside of this website tinker is almost never mentioned. such an unpopular class idea isnt likely.

next class will likely be something like a dark ranger, demon hunter, spellbreaker or dragonsworn, one of the popular class choices that pop up frequently on multiple fansites.

tinker is thankfully contained to only this site.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I'm sorry but you're also ignoring the following:

Pure Melee DPS: Rogue
    Melee / Tank Hybrid: Warrior / DK
    Pure Ranged: Mage / Warlock / Hunter
    DPS / Tank / Healer Hybrid: Paladin / Druid / Monk
    DPS / Healer Hybrid: Priest / Shaman

So surely, based on this theory with very little evidence, the next class will be a pure melee DPS. I don't see how this is any different that using Armor Classes as an excuse.