Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Teenage perpetrator in Delhi "gang-rape" sentenced. 3 years, with chance of parole.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/india-court...014706791.html

If anyone forgot about this "rape" incident, it's the one where the victim had her intestines pulled out her ass and spent her next days in what was probably one of the greatest agonies a person can experience before dying.

One of the so called rapists, who happened to be 17, received his sentence. He'll be doing 3 years, minus the time he's already spent in custody, and with possibility of early release for good behavior. I don't even know what to say. I don't think the little shit should ever see daylight again.

That's 100% messed up. I agree. Shouldn't ever let that jackass out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd give him close to 10 years as a Judge but....that's just me. To the courts, I'm bias.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This is disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And people say the western world shouldn't claim they are "right" when they want to bring democracy and justice to other countries that are clearly just fucked up. It's nauseating that people feel actions like this should be punished with basically a slap on the wrist.

One thing I never understood was the "good behavior" part. Short of aggressive actions between inmates, what opportunity does an inmate have to not be good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I mean 3 years at that point in life isn't gonna be fun, but he'll be out when he's like 20, so he still has so much of his youth left.

I'd probably keep in him jail for 12-15. More than that isn't really called for (despite the horrible thing he had a part in). 3 years itself is low. 3 years minus time served already seems really low. That plus eligibility for parole is beyond stupidly low.

Deleted
    He's 17 and therefore by law tried as a juvenile and 3 years is the max sentence he can possibly receive.

Not saying it's right, but that's the law there. If you read the article you'd know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    One thing I never understood was the "good behavior" part. Short of aggressive actions between inmates, what opportunity does an inmate have to not be good?
    Not cooperating. Caught with smuggled in drugs and such. Generally being a nuisance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    He's 17 and therefore by law tried as a juvenile and 3 years is the max sentence he can possibly receive.

Not saying it's right, but that's the law there. If you read the article you'd know this.
    You can try 17 year olds as adults if their crime calls for it. His crime really justified it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    pretty much. it's an enticement to not shank guards or other inmates, not much else tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And people say the western world shouldn't claim they are "right" when they want to bring democracy and justice to other countries that are clearly just fucked up. It's nauseating that people feel actions like this should be punished with basically a slap on the wrist.
    so india is communist or something?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    I mean 3 years at that point in life isn't gonna be fun, but he'll be out when he's like 20, so he still has so much of his youth left.

I'd probably keep in him jail for 12-15. More than that isn't really called for (despite the horrible thing he had a part in). 3 years itself is low. 3 years minus time served already seems really low. That plus eligibility for parole is beyond stupidly low.
    12-15 years? Are you shitting me? He participated in a rape in which the woman had her intestines pulled out her anus, and then slowly died. The little fucker ought to spend the rest of his life in a small covered pit.

Deleted
    12-15 years? Are you shitting me? He participated in a rape in which the woman had her intestines pulled out her anus, and then slowly died. The little fucker ought to spend the rest of his life in a small covered pit.
    Prison isn't about punishment, it's about keeping society safe from the people within. Retribution and justice should never, ever overlap. The US prison system mess is a good example as to why.

Long sentences are occasionally warranted but nowhere near as often as people cry out for them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    so india is communist or something?
    Please, you know what I mean.

It was an AWFUL AWFUL thing he participated in, but he's still a "kid" and 12-15 takes away probably the best part of his life.

Quotes mean he's not ENTIRELY a kid, but he deserves a slightly lighter sentence than the adults. I'd give them 25+

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    Prison isn't about punishment, it's about keeping society safe from the people within. Retribution and justice should never, ever overlap. The US prison system mess is a good example as to why.

Long sentences are occasionally warranted but nowhere near as often as people cry out for them.
    Prison is indeed about punishment, not sure how you think otherwise. It's also about keeping harmful people from the lawful citizens of a society, but it's primarily about punishment.

Long sentences are very warranted in a number of categories (the US screws this up by overly punishing drug related crimes).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    It was an AWFUL AWFUL thing he participated in, but he's still a "kid" and 12-15 takes away probably the best part of his life.

Quotes mean he's not ENTIRELY a kid, but he deserves a slightly lighter sentence than the adults. I'd give them 25+
    Hmmmmm, ok, yeah - I can see that. 17 is still very young.

Such a shame he can't be tried as an adult. He deserves to hang with the rest of them.

Deleted
    Prison is indeed about punishment, not sure how you think otherwise. It's also about keeping harmful people from the lawful citizens of a society, but it's primarily about punishment.

Long sentences are very warranted in a number of categories (the US screws this up by overly punishing drug related crimes).

I think we can ALL agree that this case warrants a life-long punishment. If you disagree, tell me why.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmmm, ok, yeah - I can see that. 17 is still very young.
    It is only ever about punishment if that is deemed to be the most effective way to prevent reoffence. If, through some magic, you could be 100% sure a person will never reoffend, there is no need to imprison that person.

The vast majority of people posting here probably haven't been to prison. It's quite difficult to imagine just how much 3 years in prison is, let alone 15-20. 15-20? that's a quarter to a third of your life gone. That's a really REALLY long time. Lesson learnt threshold usually comes a long time before this. Anything beyond that is unnecessary. It doesn't help the prisoner, doesn't help the prison and doesn't help society. If they're about punishment, why are they called correctional facilities?

There's a very good reason that any family member is left off a jury. Emotion and anything stemming from it has no place in a court.

With some luck, the sentence length won't make a diference...

15+ Year Old Account
    i've always believe any male convicted of rape should have his penis cut off with a rusty butter knife
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together