Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why The Rest Of The World (Europe) Should Learn From The United States of America

It's a well-known fact that the United States is the oldest constitutional republic to date, but what is not well-known is the unique nature of the United States of America. In our history, no country or nation has ever emerged that has been as socially innovative as the United States of America.

I think the concept of a nation-state will continue to be changed as we go forward in time. As globalization works, nations are becoming less and less ethnically homogenous and increasingly heterogeneous. No country in the world is prepared for this save for the United States (and Canada), and what I mean by this is further developed by the following hypothetical example:

If an African from Angola moves to Russia, he will be branded as an ethnic outcast, harassed by various neo-Nazi groups among others, and constantly be treated as an outsider. Even if he manages to gain a Russian citizenship, he will never be hailed as a Russian. Even his kids will not be hailed as Russians, at least in the current era of Russia. He is forever banished to societal ostracization simply due to his genetic composition, something that he had no control over. The same is true in countries like Sweden, France, Germany, Finland, Norway, etc. The European country for which this is probably the least true is the United Kingdom as it has a long history of assimilating different types of people into the British Empire (up to 90% of the world has been controlled by the British in the past.) As a result, it is the closest to the United States in this regard.

Now, let's examine the United States. Anyone in the entire world can become an American as long as he or she learns to speak English at a somewhat understandable level, decides to consciously become an American (provided you are given a green card/proper immigration documentation), and shares humanist American values outlined within our constitution. The African immigrant from Angola will be hailed as an American wherever he or she goes, unlike in Russia.

I think this is important because a societal choice like this emphasizes the primary contention that underlies everything: we're all human. The United States seems to be well ahead of its time in that, by the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., it judges people based upon the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. This is something that the rest of the world will inevitably need to learn to do at some point in the future as globalization becomes further accelerated, but the United States has already mastered it in concept and practice.

Furthermore, I specifically addressed Europe in my title because that's where this is most relevant today. It's Europe today, where minorities are often disenfranchised (particularly in places like France, Russia and Sweden), and it'll be places like Africa and Asia tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nation bashing incomming...

/popcorn
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I agree, also don't use too much oil in your fries, your kitchen might get invaded.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Nation bashing incomming...

/popcorn
    I don't see why there'd be any nation bashing, but k...

Deleted
    What the United States of America can learn from the rest of the world:

Trust each other.
    Don't spy each other.
    Don't begin to invade countries with the promise to change something when you don't do it.

Popcorn, popcorn get your popcorn!

Deleted
    Sorry but I have to say, if you think Racism/Xenophobia doesn't exist in the USA you're wrong. If you think that African American person won't be treated differently, discriminated against, made fun of, and maybe even beaten up in certain parts of the USA, you're wrong.

Europe does not need to learn from the USA. The USA could stand to learn a few things from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by AssimilateTruthx View Post
    lolwut?

You basically said all the aforementioned european countries are a bunch of xenophobes and compared them to Russia.

Deleted
    TL;DR
    you lot have nothing to teach us...next

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    hi, how's the weather in delusionland? im wondering.

15+ Year Old Account
    What does the fact that the US is a constitutional republic have to do with the rest? It's the oldest constitutional republic, but not the oldest republic in general. Not by a long shot. In fact it's one of the youngest nations around.

And I don't really see a lot of the points you bring up. Yes there's racism. There will sadly always be racism. But none of the countries I've been to are treating ex-patriots any better or worse than the US.
    If anything I'd say the US is worse in their treatment of homosexuals and religious minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by siafu View Post
    hi, how's the weather in delusionland? im wondering.
    There's no sunlight (hidden by eagles' wings), and it rains coca cola. True story.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Rose Colored Glasses doesn't even describe the OP at all...Rose Colored Telescope maybe.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's a well-known fact that the United States is the oldest constitutional republic to date
    I stopped reading there 'cause you forgot to say it's also the youngest country in the world. Other countries have formed on the ruins of other, more ancient ones but the united states is literally a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Zucko View Post
    What the United States of America can learn from the rest of the world:

Trust each other.
    Don't get caught spying on each other.
    Don't begin to invade countries with the promise to change something when you don't do it.
    FTFY. It's a very important fix as well.

The entire world has a very long way to go...

10+ Year Old Account
    .....oh, I don't know... Maybe because you basically dizz 50+ European (and countless other) nations, with your own false illusions???
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    I stopped reading there 'cause you forgot to say it's also the youngest country in the world. Other countries have formed on the ruins of other, more ancient ones but the united states is literally a teenager.
    How is it literally a teenager when it is 237 years old? wot?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    .....oh, I don't know... Maybe because you basically dizz 50+ European (and countless other) nations, with your own false illusions???
    False illusions? Do you follow the news at all? This is all accurate pertinent to contemporary European domestic events. Russia, Sweden, etc, all have severe issues with minorities/immigrants/etc due to a culture that is intrinsically different than the U.S.

America is an interesting place, it's so young and so big, but the term american doesn't really cover much. Every state is different, it's like somebody threw together a bunch of countries and bound them together with a constitution and burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    lolwut?

You basically said all the aforementioned european countries are a bunch of xenophobes and compared them to Russia.
    No, I said that their culture and atmosphere is fairly xenophobic compared to the United States. I made sure to single out the U.K. for being fairly progressive relative to the other European countries in an attempt to be fair.