Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by horselessheadsman View Post
    I think Brits look at July 4th in the wrong way. This is not just an American holiday, it should be a human holiday to celebrate standing up to tyrants worldwide. I was born and raised American, but I have absolutely no problems with Brits. And why should I? It wasn't the British people that caused the war, it was a garbage King. I think a lot of Brits, just like a lot of Americans, need to learn to separate their Government from their national pride. The people of a nation is not the same as it's Government.

I'd like to see the day where more Brits do celebrate July 4th because it's not an anti-British celebration. It's a celebration of a (supposedly) free people from a tyrannical Government.
    The US isn't the only country that has an indepence day, nor is it the only only country that has gained its indepence from a tyrannical government.

Deleted
    England will never come out of history smelling like roses. London was created by Romans and that torch was passed on once the Western side died. England has invaded more countries than... well, I can't say Rome but it's damn close. And that torch was then passed on to America in ww2. I see history as America being the bastard grand child of the Roman Empire. And everything that was bled over has been lost in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

See that's the problem here, Brits still worship that scumbag. You tax the crap out of your colonies to fund your war with France and then wonder why people revolt.
    I have heard the term plastic paddies before, but plastic Romans takes the cake.

- - - Updated - - -

England will never come out of history smelling like roses. London was created by Romans and that torch was passed on once the Western side died. England has invaded more countries than... well, I can't say Rome but it's damn close. And that torch was then passed on to America in ww2. I see history as America being the bastard grand child of the Roman Empire. And everything that was bled over has been lost in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

See that's the problem here, Brits still worship that scumbag. You tax the crap out of your colonies to fund your war with France and then wonder why people revolt.
    Who worships George the 3rd? name 1.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I have heard the term plastic paddies before, but plastic Romans takes the cake.

- - - Updated - - -

We can talk about the pope and his melted down crowns next if you wish?

Who worships George? I don't know, maybe the people that decided it was a good idea to name a future King George. Oh but it was after Elizabeth's father, right. Every Brit that I've ever talked to sits here and talks about George 3 as if he was the return of Christ. And the OP especially, of how dare Americans revolt against our beloved monarch. It's sickening, truly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the fall of the Roman Empire in Britain, and the rise of the British Empire (if you use the English Empire as the start), was about 1,000 years give or take - there was nothing even vaguely close to continuity.

Worship? What are you talking about?

I could be wrong since modern history isn't my thing, but isn't the foundation of the United Kingdom actually after the American Revolution? The actual country England no longer exists. Think in terms of countries with the same ongoing government (US constitution in this case) the USA is actually one of the oldest countries in the world at this point. Governments just don't last like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Between the fall of the Roman Empire in Britain, and the rise of the British Empire (if you use the English Empire as the start), was about 1,000 years give or take - there was nothing even vaguely close to continuity.

Worship? What are you talking about?
    And what did we have in the mean time? The Dark Ages and the rise of the Catholic church in Rome. And the wonderful smelted down crowns of our beloved Pope.

10+ Year Old Account

Who worships George? I don't know, maybe the people that decided it was a good idea to name a future King George. Oh but it was after Elizabeth's father, right. Every Brit that I've ever talked to sits here and talks about George 3 as if he was the return of Christ. And the OP especially, of how dare Americans revolt against our beloved monarch. It's sickening, truly.
    What the hell? Thats pretty blatantly untrue. SOME may, but the vast majority of brits just dont care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatheralira View Post
    I could be wrong since modern history isn't my thing, but isn't the foundation of the United Kingdom actually after the American Revolution? The actual country England no longer exists. Think in terms of countries with the same ongoing government (US constitution in this case) the USA is actually one of the oldest countries in the world at this point. Governments just don't last like they used to.
    No, the Act of Union was in 1707.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every Brit that I've ever talked to sits here and talks about George 3 as if he was the return of Christ. And the OP especially, of how dare Americans revolt against our beloved monarch. It's sickening, truly.
    How many Brits have you talked to?

I've talked to thousands being British and all, and not one of them has even mentioned George III. And stop linking names to mean more than they do, Americans do it all the time. The father will be called X Carter so the son will be X Carter Junior or something like that. Want to know where you got that tradition from? It was the European monarchies. It's so the name lives on and is remembered.

His son was called George and so on so forth. Naming your child after your great grandfather has no link whatsoever to someone who ran the country 200 years ago. That's not honouring him at all, it's honouring your great grandfather. You really seem to be clutching at straws with that one.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted

They are messing with you, baiting other countries is a national past time.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what did we have in the mean time? The Dark Ages and the rise of the Catholic church in Rome. And the wonderful smelted down crowns of our beloved Pope.
    What has that got to do with the British Empire not being a continuation of the Roman Empire? You've lost me here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    You know, occasionally people shoot themselves in the foot, right?

How about that example..
    http://www.king-george.va.us/
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Nope. Not a shred of regret or shame.

Why should I or any other American?

We broke away from an empire like countless other countries have done, through bloodshed like countless others have done.

Your question might as well have been: "Why didn't the U.S. sit around like a good little colony until England gave them permission to strike out on their own."
    The answer? Because they didn't fucking want to.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    How many Brits have you talked to?

I've talked to thousands being British and all, and not one of them has even mentioned George III. And stop linking names to mean more than they do, Americans do it all the time. The fater will be called X carter so the son will be X Carter Junior or something like that. Want to know where you got that tradition from? It was the European monarchies. It's so the name lives on and is remembered.

His son was called George and so on so forth. Naming your child after your great grandfather has no link whatsoever ever to someone who ran the country 200 years ago. That's not honouring him at all, it's honouring your great grandfather. You really seem to be clutching at straws with that one.
    I have family and roots in England. I talk to enough Brits.

When American media, Fox News, says on live TV "God save the queen", I'm sorry, but it's just not something I'm willing to put up with. And it's not clutching at straws, the name was an insult.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You know, occasionally people shoot themselves in the foot, right?

How about that example..
    http://www.king-george.va.us/
    I take it back, some people do worship him, they happen to be Americans though.

- - - Updated - - -

When American media, Fox News, says on live TV "God save the queen", I'm sorry, but it's just not something I'm willing to put up with. And it's not clutching at straws, the name was an insult.
    Never been heard on British news in my lifetime, don't blame us because Americans love the Royals more than we do.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, they deliberately chose the name to piss you off.

Quote Originally Posted by samsungtv View Post
    I just wondered if any of you ever feel any shame for celebrating Independence Day?

At the time, you was governed by the British, and no matter what you are taught at school, you decided to slaughter the redcoats, military men with families, in order to reap the wealth of the newly discovered land.

Basically traitors to your (then) Government.

How would you view things if lets say, Texas decided to start killing the American Army because they didn't want to pay any more taxes, won the fight, then claimed all of the USA for themselves? It's not really much of a different situation.

So yea, I've always wondered this, are there any Americans who are actually ashamed their country was born out of a situation that could also be described as bloodthirsty traitorism?

Wow are you serious?lol i mean come on the idiocy of your topic makes me think troll.

10+ Year Old Account

Im sorry, but you're taking this WAY too seriously. Brits and Americans have been friends for awhile now. why WOULDNT we wish well for their queen?

and it still doesnt change the fact that most brittons dont give a damn about George the 3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

and it still doesnt change the fact that most brittons dont give a damn about George the 3rd.
    I'd be surprised if most Britons knew who was king at the time of the American Revolution.

10+ Year Old Account

The name was not an insult. Stop being so stupid and insecure about the world. Blame your media for those things and the majority of the American population, not the Brits. We aren't FORCING your media to cover the British Royal Family extensively but you know what? They show it anyway! Because most Americans absolutely love the monarchy we have and clamour for more of it.

When it came to the Royal Wedding did you know that the American news networks asked Buckingham Palace to keep the lights on at the Mall and around Victoria Fountain until late into the night, so that the cameras could see more for the American public? They were told no, because the people in the palace need to sleep. Despite that, the news networks stayed there and still tried to get every little bit of information they can because that's what the people want. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that basically everyone else in your country doesn't.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.