Poll: Which Political Party is More Oppressive?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Who would you consider the more oppressive political party - Democrats or Republicans

Hey all,

Interesting question for you all. Simply put, which political party (In the US) would you consider to be the most oppressive party?

On one hand, we've got the Democrats / Liberals who:

- Forcefully funnel your tax dollars into programs regardless of your support for them.
    - Mandate social and economical policies regardless of whether you want them.
    - Create environmental regulations you have to abide by regardless of whether you believe in them.
    - "Restrict" access to firearms through a more thorough background check process.
    - Promote amnesty for illegal immigrants and work towards expediting their citizenship through programs that are far more convenient than the traditional, LEGAL immigration process.
    - Promote the unionization of workers to fight against corporate profits.
    - Fight for more compensation for less, unskilled labor.
    - Promote economic policy that, even if you hate the term, attempts to even out the distribution of wealth in America with progressive tax laws.

On the other side, we've got the Republicans / Conservatives who:

- Want to tell women what they can / can not do with their bodies.
    - Tell homosexuals they cannot be bound by marriage (and, for some, that their lifestyle is an abomination).
    - Lessen regulations on those in power and allow for greed and corruption to go unchecked.
    - Base a significant portion of their social policy on the Christian religion.
    - Fight against laws that attempt to create gender / race equality in the name of freedom.
    - Worked to create provisions that prevented (though not "directly") minorities from voting in the 2012 election.
    - Promote spending your tax dollars on Wars without national interest.

So, this then raises the question - which party is more oppressive? I suppose it all comes down to whether you think social oppression is better or worse than economical oppression, but I'll leave that for you all to decide.

Edit - Reformatted.
    Last edited by Warwithin; 2013-09-01 at 05:33 PM.

Anyone who compares how their tax dollars are spent to not being allowed to marry needs to check themselves.

Now that that's out of the way.....

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the individual of each party. With that said, those that seem to want to tell others what to do seem to bother me. Of course SOMETIMES I can understand their POV. Other times I wonder what fantasy world they live in.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Hey all,

Interesting question for you all. Simply put, which political party (In the US) would you consider to be the most oppressive party?

On one hand, we've got the Democrats / Liberals who forcefully funnel your tax dollars into programs regardless of your support for them, mandate social and economical policies regardless of whether you want them, create environmental regulations you have to abide by regardless of whether you believe in them, "restrict" access to firearms through a more thorough background check process, and promote economic policy that, even if you hate the term, attempts to even out the distribution of wealth in America with progressive tax laws - among other things.

On the other side, we've got the Republicans / Conservatives who want to tell women what they can / can not do with their bodies, tell homosexuals they cannot be bound by marriage (and, for some, that their lifestyle is an abomination), lessen regulations on those in power and allow for greed and corruption to go unchecked, base a significant portion of their social policy on the Christian religion, and fight against laws that attempt to create gender / race equality in the name of freedom - again, among other things.

So, this then raises the question - which party is more oppressive? I suppose it all comes down to whether you think social oppression is better or worse than economical oppression, but I'll leave that for you all to decide.

Poll inc.
    So if republicans spend dollars on the military do they let people who are opposed to the military choose not to pay those parts of the taxes? No? Perhaps governments are meant to allocate the funds collected from taxes?

Personally I found the Nazi Party to be much more oppressive. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Anyone who compares how their tax dollars are spent to not being allowed to marry needs to check themselves.

Now that that's out of the way.....
    Oh, I'm not necessarily taking things that are directly comparable in terms of influence and general political weight. I just went through and selected some of the more "hot" topics per party and listed them. Additionally, I'm not saying either one is correct - but more opening the floor for debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    People are going to vote the way they want, pretty much regardless of the OP. That being said, its incredibly biased against Conservatives/Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    People are going to vote pretty much regardless of the OP. That being said, its incredibly biased against Conservatives/Republicans.
    How so? I was just picking examples. If you've got some more incendiary ones for the Democrats, I'm more than happy to edit the OP in favor of equal representation.

People are going to vote the way they want, pretty much regardless of the OP. That being said, its incredibly biased against Conservatives/Republicans.
    How so... it's kind of their overwhelming opinion at last polls lol.

I'd say it's incredibly soft on republicans...he made no mention of gerrymandering or forcefully spending your hard-earned tax dollars on military ventures against american interests, aiding corporations in gaming the system, the failed and oppressive by definition war on drugs...

There is nothing untrue about the OP. If by bias you mean he didn't conceal enough facts about the republicans then yes, but only in an alternative universe would that constitute bias.

On one hand, we've got the Democrats / Liberals who forcefully funnel your tax dollars into programs regardless of your support for them.
    Anyone who thinks only one party does this, is incredibly fooling themselves. People need to stop acting like they personally paying for individual programs out of pocket. We all put into the big tax pool that then gets divided into the programs decided by the people that got elected there by the people. That being Said the GoP clearly has no problem telling people how to run their lives as long they are the ones doing it. The moment they lose the control Big Government this, Big Government That...
    Aku, Soku, Zan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    *looks at poll results*

It's only a matter of time before people come storming in, saying how MMOC is infested with liberals.
    Those damn liberals.

OT: Personally I've come to the conclusion both parties are shallow. I side with one side more then the other but I was actually agreeing with a BLOODY REPUBLICAN during the whole Zimmerman nonsense.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    How so? I was just picking examples. If you've got some more incendiary ones for the Democrats, I'm more than happy to edit the OP in favor of equal representation.
    You kind of mention what I would have gone with in your discussion of the opposing side. From what I gather, conservatives/Republican et al, are more concerned with the (perceived) massive increase in the size of government and social welfare programs. I'd venture to say that amnesty for illegal aliens/immigrants is another big sticking point. The biggest complaint I hear from the conservative side though, is how they feel that between the NCAAP, ACLU, et al, there's actually a significant disadvantage to being anything other than a female minority.

Again, and sorry if I didn't make this clear originally, I'm not trying to support either side. To me at least, it seemed that the OP's write up was biased in favor of the liberal/Democrats side.

Edit: I wasn't trying to argue that anything said about the conservatives/Republicans wasn't true. Simply that the OP glossed over what I would consider significantly more major issues that the other side has with liberals/Democrats.
    Last edited by DockyWocky; 2013-09-01 at 05:24 PM.

Liberals are no star children, and I do not consider myself a liberal in any way, but I wouldn't be caught dead voting for a Republican the way that they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Those damn liberals.

OT: Personally I've come to the conclusion both parties are shallow. I side with one side more then the other but I was actually agreeing with a BLOODY REPUBLICAN during the whole Zimmerman nonsense.
    I can't wait for Nakamura & Grummug's posts.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You kind of mention what I would have gone with in your discussion of the opposing side. From what I gather, conservatives/Republican et al, are more concerned with the (perceived) massive increase in the size of government and social welfare programs. I'd venture to say that amnesty for illegal aliens/immigrants is another big sticking point. The biggest complaint I hear from the conservative side though, is how they feel that between the NCAAP, ACLU, et al, there's actually a significant disadvantage to being anything other than a female minority.

Again, and sorry if I didn't make this clear originally, I'm not trying to support either side. To me at least, it seemed that the OP's write up was biased in favor of the liberal/Democrats side.

Edit: I wasn't trying to argue that anything said about the conservatives/Republicans wasn't true. Simply that the OP glossed over what I would consider significantly more major issues that the other side has with liberals/Democrats.
    Updated OP

Deleted
    No government should decide what an individual should do unless it causes harm to somebody else, therefore I'll go with the republicans.

Deleted
    Republicans give more money to the few rich people (that are the true oppresors in a capitalistic system) than the democrats, so a poll ending with anything other would be dumb. Nobody gives a shit about abortion rights, gun control, gay marriage or illegal immigrants in the bigger picture really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, they're all oppressing us in one way or another. Or trying to, anyway. See, each of our politicians has a "perfect" way of life in his head, and he's going to try to force that way of life on you. If you agree with him, then you think he's being "progressive" or "liberating". In reality, he's being just as oppressive as the politicians that you disagree with. You just happen to be in on it with him.

I hope we may be so fortunate to someday see politicians who realize that their own beliefs are not always the ideal path. That sometimes, nay, always, there is more than one route to happiness and prosperity, not one single "right" way that just so happens to perfectly match their party agenda. But I won't be holding my breath.