According to surveys , the proportion of computer game playing women about 50 percent. But at Dreamhack , they are a minority. " Girls are met with a lot of prejudices ."
Elaine Bostrom, 24 , devotes much of his free time playing computer games . But she was not at DreamHack , the world's largest computer festival that is on his last day at Elmia Fair in Jönköping.
- I have been to many similar events and know how it is . DreamHack I stay away from . As the girl met by guys who gives one a look that means " what are you doing here ? ' . Or seen it as a potential partner. But as a girl, you are deemed to never be as good , she says.
- I think they are afraid that we will encroach on their territory .
For Rebekah Prentell , Chair of game hobby association Sverok , the problem is familiar.
- We have a lot of girls who are really good at gaming . But there are not several hours drive to Dreamhack just to be treated like someone's girlfriend. Girls are greeted by a lot of prejudices.
Recently wrote Aftonbladet chronicles Eva Franchell a chronicle entitled " DreamHack is sexist " with the message that the gaming industry should test the quota to be more equal . It did not take long for than the first comments came on Fragbite , one of the largest forums for e-sports and computer games , "Are games industry the last bastion of anti- feminism and philanthropic ideals ."
Dreamhack organizers do things to wash away the stamp. Among other things, workshops on sexual harassment in the network. It has also stopped the exhibitors who wanted scantily clad " båstjejer " to attract the young male audience . But discussions on Fragbite , which is the largest forum for e-sports and computer games, before Dreamhack 2013 , speaks volumes . " Easy to snag bitches on dh , va a bride who said she would suck me if I could fix the system for her ," wrote one user. Another comment : " DreamHack is a whorehouse not counting the official matches, nothing new there."
For Elaine Bostrom is sexism in the world of computer games not news . She confronted with it every day when she is playing computer games in the so-called e-sports competitions online, the anonymous users from around the world .
- I have kept me in this world just because I 'm stubborn and has a mind of her . Otherwise, you do not feel . You can not do it . It is so extremely much sexism. I hear maybe six times in one e-sports game that I'm a whore , slut and a cunt. It's clear you become angry. And playing worse .
Press officer at DreamHack , Fredrik Nyström , think it is a shame about girls stay away from DreamHack only because of how the atmosphere is online.
- We are aware that there is a pretty hard lingo online, but I do not think it reflects how it is in Dreamhack. We work to have a good environment where everyone feels welcome.