Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    I forgot to mention that is very strange that my rp character has existed in the world of warcraft for 9 years now and still has no house. I just find it odd I have to make him sit in an inn if wants to sleep. Then again, the rp limitations of this game are enormous.
    Really, you think thats odd but don't find it odd that you can literally walk across a continent, from northern most to southern most part, in like an hour?
    Housing isn't very interesting in general. Sunsong ranch is a nice place to hang your boots and phase out of the world, that's plenty for me.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Player-owned ships that you can customize and use to sail from island to island in a South Seas / Broken Isles themed expansion. The developers can get around to revamping fishing finally, players could partake in ship-vs-ship combat or invite their friends to their ships, archaeology could expand into retrieving hidden treasures from the depths of the sea.

Sadly, only in my dreams...

Housing can not simply be done by just puting houses in the world. It has to be interesting, maybe even some challenges, the whole guild needs to be able to enjoy it.

Bloodsail Admiral Master Jinora's Avatar
    If you datamine at all, you can see something called 'Player-Housing' in there, its been there since Vanilla-TBC.
    "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."
    — Zaheer

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    for housing? I'd like an instanced place where I could decorate, play games, get some food from the fridge, invite my friends and guildies in, and throw some parties with provided disco balls
    Pretty much this. Would be a wonderful idea, although I can imagine it's something that'll never happen since Blizzard are always talking about getting more players out into the world & it's kind of doing the complete opposite with people in phased/instanced areas. Blizzard have gone back on their word before though.
    “First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.”
    Mage | Monk | Druid | Warlock | Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Housing worked for a little while in Ultima Online when not many folks could afford the deeds but soon became a big problem. Because there was always going to be a limited amount of land available to place a house, pretty soon all the available land was grabbed and houses placed, which resulted in two problems. One, if you wanted a house, you couldn't have one because you couldn't physically place it anywhere. Very frustrating. And two, the world became filled with houses. So any clear open spaces that existed when the game was launched suddenly became full of houses. So you were having to navigate between them all the time and generally it was pretty annoying. Imagine the barrens full of houses. You get the idea.

The problem was compounded because if a player quit the game, their house would remain standing.. so you had lots of ghost houses in the world that were never used. Origin tried to fix this problem by forcing them to decay which would lead to people camping abandoned houses for literally days waiting for the house to finally collapse, which would immediately free up the plot (and place all the items held within the house on the ground.. phat loot). That was fun times. But eventually all those plots would be taken up too and they were back to square one.

I quit the game shortly after that point. So I don't believe physical world housing works.

The only way I can perhaps see a half way point is if they were able to instance "neighbourhoods" where you could perhaps have a house that sits along side houses of other guildies or friends. But I think it would be too messy for them to implement. I'm sure Blizz will be sat watching how well the housing works out in W* and will copy it in some form if it's a success.
    Housing had nothing to do with UO's decline. Their numbers increased month over month until the release of Age of Shadows revamped the core mechanics of the game. Like most things in that game, housing was comprehensive and mirrored a real economy, adding depth that is not found in Warcraft. An actual real estate economy developed. You could buy and sell houses. For many, the acquisition of a house after months or years of grinding was the penultimate experience, much as it is in the real world. The hoarding of wealth, and diversity of housing types allowed for a never-ending grind to decorate or upgrade your housing. It was a great way to pass time between expansions. Simple services like character transfers in Warcraft would allow long-time players to transfer to a new server to place a house, and the Trammel facet also doubled the player housing on the same servers. The effect of housing on the landscape is a matter of opinion. Wide open, barren areas can be boring to some. I spent MANY a night in UO just walking around the world enjoying the tricks and techniques players used to decorate. Isn't that what WoW developers are always complaining about? Getting people out into the world? Player housing, guild houses, etc. do just that. I'm not saying it would work in WoW, or that they should even try. WoW isn't UO. WoW is inferior in most ways, other than the graphics engine and character diversity. It probably doesn't have the depth of play to ever successfully implement such a mechanic.

I think you should watch this, before making any conclusions. As you can see, you have a freedom of choice there: your house may be your personal location, but you may also open it for your friends and even make it public. It also tied to varius kinds of content: questing, raiding, crafting. It's all so great.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Not this again....

Right:
    - you will use it one week to a month perhaps
    - you will get bored of it / why? Because why go stand idling in a room without anyone there or hardly anyone? Even in a guild that has 500 members
    1. will you be there with people you actually LIKE of those 500?
    2. why would people be there in that ONE spot when they can walk/fly/run around in a city or..... the open world?
    - oh you will have an anvil and other profession requirements available in there? Really? So I have to go into an instanced room with a loading screen to get to my NPC's? While I can just fly to the locations I need in a city? Or if it is PHASED, it would become a hotspot and probably very lagsensitive.

Look from a ROLEPLAY POV I can understand. Not from any convenience POV. It is a waste of resources. There are a zillion other things in WoW that needs attention before this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Housing had nothing to do with UO's decline. Their numbers increased month over month until the release of Age of Shadows revamped the core mechanics of the game. Like most things in that game, housing was comprehensive and mirrored a real economy, adding depth that is not found in Warcraft. An actual real estate economy developed. You could buy and sell houses. For many, the acquisition of a house after months or years of grinding was the penultimate experience, much as it is in the real world. The hoarding of wealth, and diversity of housing types allowed for a never-ending grind to decorate or upgrade your housing. It was a great way to pass time between expansions. Simple services like character transfers in Warcraft would allow long-time players to transfer to a new server to place a house, and the Trammel facet also doubled the player housing on the same servers. The effect of housing on the landscape is a matter of opinion. Wide open, barren areas can be boring to some. I spent MANY a night in UO just walking around the world enjoying the tricks and techniques players used to decorate. Isn't that what WoW developers are always complaining about? Getting people out into the world? Player housing, guild houses, etc. do just that. I'm not saying it would work in WoW, or that they should even try. WoW isn't UO. WoW is inferior in most ways, other than the graphics engine and character diversity. It probably doesn't have the depth of play to ever successfully implement such a mechanic.
    Let us say that one can built a house wherever the player desires.
    1. annoying rich guild A that know where rival guild B will be making a house, will just get a bogus guild and set that house right at that very spot.
    2. you could get wildgrowth of houses where one does not want it - could be made so by blizzard that there are a FINITE available spots on a server and locations

You claim that people will go out and about when you have houses everywhere. Really? So let us assume the most logical scenario > your Hearthstone is bonded with your guilds house. = no one sees the world, your house is where you could go idle. Or even worse: Blizzard makes them cloaks a way to portal to your guildhouse. Which will probably not be used very often since your guildhouse will not be next to the center of the expansion where the shit is going down.

Ultimately it is a waste.

Don't like it - don't use it. As simple as that. Only number of lost subs in Wow will show, how many players want it. And I've already signed up for Beta test. Hope will get inventation soon.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    To be fair when UO was at its best the player housing was brilliant. I was in a roleplay guild and we had a LOT of fun with our custom housing. We made it fit the theme of our guild and everything. No other MMO i've played has anything close to UOs housing system. The games major decline was its engine was aging and there was no major end game. oh its skill up system was BRUTAL (power hour anyone).

I would love to have a UO styled housing system in wow where there is a few limited spots per zone to place a house and you bid on each areas plot via the BMAH.

Listen if Blizz can make player housing and you have to spend real money to decorate it, they will might implement it. For me I don't give a crap about having a place for my toon to stay. I would rather them keep to game content and improving the game (sorry laughing too hard, because Blizz gave up on this years ago).

thing is i honestly would not know what to do with housing because for it to make sense it needs to provide some sort convenience features such as access to AH, Bank, Give rested exp however I'm certain blizzard would never implement something something like this (aside from possibly personal bank and rested exp) because then players would have little incentive to go to major cities except for things like guild bank, class trainers and trade chat. Given how blizzard wants people to go out and explore the world having a hub where you afk waiting for your queue does not fit that goal.

If it were not to have something aside from bank/inn what is the point of dedicating a zone/land/island/tree for said housing. I see no point to this aside from "this spec of land is mine and no one else can't have it"

Another issue is do you have it phased or not? This is a tough one because if it IS phased then getting cool rewards/upgrade for your house is kinda meaningless if you can't share it/show it off. Having it NOT phased means you may run into trolls and people just swamping your house. Maybe a system where only your party/raid members can see it and rest can't would work but needs new application of the phasing tech.

IMO the development of personal progression similar to Brawler's guild and Proving Grounds >>>>> the time spent developing proving grounds. It would be nice to see a pvp training feature where you need to CC, Interrupt, kill NPC's similar to how the raid fight was in ToC but both the NPC and you would be in pvp gear and you would get pvp rewards.
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    I think you should watch this, before making any conclusions. As you can see, you have a freedom of choice there: your house may be your personal location, but you may also open it for your friends and even make it public. It also tied to varius kinds of content: questing, raiding, crafting. It's all so great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgQ2ov0-Q-M
    I will admit this looks neat, so an incentive to all players who love housing to try Wildstar? Has some cool ideas - though I will admit I am not considering it from all angles and looking of drawbacks. (Example: would all these people that you invite actually come to you? Especially if they have their own houses? Would your friend spend time harvesting your crops when you are offline when he has his own to tend to? Are the houses instanced or will the world fill up? Will you be allowed to build anywhere (Imagine in WoW you build in Nagrand, would Durn the Hungerer aggro on your house or you in it?) PvP servers? Can your house be razed? Plundered? Looted?

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

Another issue is do you have it phased or not? This is a tough one because if it IS phased then getting cool rewards/upgrade for your house is kinda meaningless if you can't share it/show it off. Having it NOT phased means you may run into trolls and people just swamping your house. Maybe a system where only your party/raid members can see it and rest can't would work but needs new application of the phasing tech.
    ..and this
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Rift, EQ2, LOTRO, FFXI and soon to be FFXIV and...I heard? Wildstar all have or will have player housing. In Rift, EQ2 and Lotro it was highly successful. In many "old school" MMOs player housing was a main attraction - mind you, these were the days before the MMO genre got flooded with FPS kiddies that have the attention span and imagination of a gnat.

More things to do in game = more fun. I have no interest in pet battle via Pokemon, but obviously a lot of people like it. It really is pointless and adds nothing to the game, but fun factor...which is the point of a game, right? Frankly more content like housing and pet battles or a real crafting system would potentially make me interested enough in WoW to come back. But Blizzard caters to the FPS generation, so it's unlikely it will happen.

But I think Blizzard won't implement it, cuz their game engine is too ugly for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    But I think Blizzard won't implement it, cuz their game engine is too ugly for it.
    Then run along to play your superduperultragraphicfun Wildstar, engine is fine as it is, because it became "part"of WoW already.
    And in your earlier post, saying that WoW loses subs because there's no player housing...just lol.

Excuse me, are you saying something? Nah, you can't tell me nothing

I think a simple large instance for each capitol (SW and Org definitely, maybe IF and UC as well) would do well. An instance approx the size of BRD, but empty with a simple cycle of streets patterned after the city in question, with a number of empty houses. A couple main drags with some guild houses (Higher level guild perk maybe?) and a number of sidestreets with individual player housing. Maybe a few NPCs milling about doing random tasks to give it the feel of a populated place. Definitely no vendors, trainer, or AH though. Let them be locked with a soulbound item (like a hearthstone) and you canopen them while you're "at home". Cosmetic rewards dor decoration/customization, maybe even some new professions like carpentry or somethng to produce furniture. And if they need more houses, key another duplicate of the instance.

Stormwind already has the gate in place.
    Last edited by Urti; 2013-09-03 at 03:44 PM.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

I don't get it. If you want your own specific place = Sunsong ranch. If you want a "home" for your RP character that other players can visit, pick one of the random houses out in the world on a mountain somewhere. There's lots of those. Would make a great setting for RP, imo.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

I would go one step further, and allow WoW to have custom user-made content.

I do believe this would be the ultimate feature to give WoW longevity. I mean, look at the amazing stuff people have done with the editor from Warcraft and Starcraft. Some custom campaigns from Warcraft 3 are even better than the game's original.

A user-made raid, such as Black Temple? Another take at the Well of Eternity? Alternate reality where Arthas is alive? Facing all the Old Gods at once? Yes please!