Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.

Player housing, will Blizzard ever get the message?

The traditional player housing in MMOs isn't very interesting, maybe with the exception of Ultima Online. This was because you owned part of the world, making the area have real value. The idea of having an instanced chunk of the world that is decorated inside and no one will ever see isn't interesting, so housing in WoW would have to go beyond just visual customization with some gameplay elements or something else actually interesting.
    So yeah. That's the front page. Of all the other things that seemed mildly interesting to start a topic on, this is the only thing that really stuck a thorn in my side. I honestly don't think Blizzard gets the point of player housing. Or they do, but they are being completely oblivious as to why it's been something sought after for ages in this game. An instanced, phased or otherwise personalized chunk of the world is exactly what I personally would want. Having all the creative and decorative tools at my disposal I would work a masterpiece and when I was ready and done, I'd show it off to all my friends by inviting them to my group and allowing them to join my "phase" or "instance.

So I decided that I would open this thread (Considering doing a brief scan of the last couple of days and finding no similar threads) as to what the people of mmo-champ would like player housing for! My example being that I want privacy in my work and a perfect location and I am willing to give up seeing it in the world for being able to have artistic control over it. Conversation, go!

Edit: I forgot to mention that is very strange that my rp character has existed in the world of warcraft for 9 years now and still has no house. I just find it odd I have to make him sit in an inn if wants to sleep. Then again, the rp limitations of this game are enormous.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no player housing is a stupid idea, it's not interesting and adds no interesting gameplay whatsoever. I absolutely can not see why anyone would want player housing at the expense of something meaningful like, let's say, interesting end game content?

for housing? I'd like an instanced place where I could decorate, play games, get some food from the fridge, invite my friends and guildies in, and throw some parties with provided disco balls
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

They understand this, obviously, but it isn't something that they want in wow otherwise they'd have created it. It sounds sort of mean but at the end of the day its about what Blizzard wants for wow then what the players want fixed about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They understand it correctly, they just dont really agree completely with your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yeah, no player housing is a stupid idea, it's not interesting and adds no interesting gameplay whatsoever. I absolutely can not see why anyone would want player housing at the expense of something meaningful like, let's say, interesting end game content?
    why do you think the same teams would work on the project? I can't see the art team or the encounter design boys working on player housing. the art is already done. there are no bosses in your house. it doesn't need story or new characters to develop. it just needs a new system.

player housing would have competed with pet battles if they were being developed at the same time, but pet battles are already completed anyway.

Blizzard doesn't need more places/content that people can use to ignore the rest of their server. I hear that the Sims is still available for purchase if you want to build a house and sit in it all day by yourself.

To be honest, that's kind of the point of the farm since they've changed it to allow hearthing and such. Would like to have more options on the visuals, though.

At most I just want a trophy room like in Civ2 where I can display some weapons and/or transmog outfits. Doesn't even need to be a physical space, just a screen I can pull up.

I'm trying out Rift; went into my own little dimension, immediately left and stuck the dimension items in the bank. There's no point in having a solitary space in an MMO.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

It was a success in RIFT. Hopefully Blizz would pull it off in a good way, it would be amazing.

The failure of Blizzard to see how player housing would contribute to the gameplay in far more meaningful manner than pointless Achievements, can only be manifestation of their absolute lack of imagination.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

yeah i know, i hate not having player housing its why i tried Rift again and though it needs some work in the design tools their housing is awesome. Just put the port back in SW and make it so we can invite others in or set it to friends or public. Its a huge part of the game missing for me and so many storage issues could be solved, let alone new profession around it, gold sinks etc... I mean if they could figure out a way for player houses to show up in a non-instanced part of the world awesome but don't see that coming as area's around major cities would be over crowded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not interested in it. I really don't think 100% of the player base is dying to have it implemented. It is a wishlist for the players, but I doubt we really strongly care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Housing ties players to the world, instead of it just being a loot-treadmill game.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think this is one of those "vocal minority" things
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we would never see people in the world anymore, theyd just be chilling in their houses, and yes it would take away from meaningful content, theyre arnt going to hire more people to work on housing
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    Because we would never see people in the world anymore, theyd just be chilling in their houses, and yes it would take away from meaningful content, theyre arnt going to hire more people to work on housing
    "you can't queue for dungeons, raids, scenarios, arenas or battlegrounds while in your house"

problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    The problem in MMOs is usually people not spending time in their houses at all, not the other way around. Mostly housing is used for trophies and the like - a way to look back on the history of your character. It's a more engrossing system than achievements, that's for sure.

I liked the way SoE handled player housing in EQII. You had to pay rent, can't remember if it was daily or weekly, but if you didn't pay you couldn't access it. Once you had a housing space, you could purchase items from crafters for decorations, as well as using 'Heritage' items as decorations. People could also visit to check your house out if they wanted. No idea if they still do this, as it's been about 8 years since I played EQII last.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    "you can't queue for dungeons, raids, scenarios, arenas or battlegrounds while in your house"

problem solved.
    and you don't gain rested XP and can't set it as a hearthstone location.