Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    People don't want player housing to have a secluded spot; most want it to have a spot they can customize and call their own. Some people really like customization.
    Okay, so in your world you customize your house with some nice paintings, the head of the boss you just killed, some very nice antique vanilla furniture.....then what? Really, people actually think that a house is a good idea? Seems like a huge waste of time in a game that is already a waste of time.

edit: I could go with something along the lines of guild flying ships or castles, but they would always have to be PVP flagged so the opposite faction can destroy them (or at least make them unusable until they are repaired). Good way to get rid of all the gold floating around the game.
    Last edited by Marema; 2013-09-02 at 02:43 AM.

Only if they do it like Ultima Online. Man that was some good player housing.

There was player housing back in AC, and it was kind of neat for a few reasons that don't really apply in this game (for one, there were no banks or mail in that game, so storing stuff on alts was a very different experience).

I don't see much of a point to it in this game really.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    edit: I could go with something along the lines of guild flying ships or castles, but they would always have to be PVP flagged so the opposite faction can destroy them (or at least make them unusable until they are repaired). Good way to get rid of all the gold floating around the game.
    I think a cool system would be guild airships that would be PvP flagged, where you could build defenses/reinforcements by clearing raid content, pvp objectives and/or other group content such as scenarios and dungeons with your guild.

Also maybe some sort of alliance based system where you could group up with other airships of your faction in order to form a fleet, that can attack faction capitols and other-faction airships.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Not only solved but probably reduce the interest in this by a considerable amount too. That said though, I'm not against it. I enjoyed the farm in MoP and thought it a useful thing with a lot of potential, especially the work orders.

Anyone doubting that this wouldn't affect things needs to remember this would come most likely under systems with supporting necessary art assets and the rest. So it really would have an effect.
    it depends on what you can do in your house.

if you could play videogames, or cards, or store raid food in the fridge, or interact with a neighborhood gaining reputation and buying cosmetic items, such as the "good neighbor's uber awesomesauce dragon with lazorz", or throw parties that increase reputation with a faction proportionally to the amount of people you get to come to your party and interact with your stuff, it could be very interesting.

if it was just "place stuff around and be happy", than nobody would do it.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    player controlled warfare would be a pretty sweet addition with airships, and it would give World PvP a huge boost
    Their filthyness STAAAINNS me~~

10+ Year Old Account
    An interesting point of view on display here: "if I can't force someone to look at it and be impressed, what's the point in doing it?"

Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think a cool system would be guild airships that would be PvP flagged, where you could build defenses/reinforcements by clearing raid content, pvp objectives and/or other group content such as scenarios and dungeons with your guild.

Also maybe some sort of alliance based system where you could group up with other airships of your faction in order to form a fleet, that can attack faction capitols and other-faction airships.
    And then for PvE servers... jackshit nothing?

I'd say bring in Guild Housing: You can buy a guild hall with an entrance in one of the major cities, with a corresponding theme. You could have specialized, buyable areas for the guild house, like a cooking area with a "food storage" tab to store mats right there, and a blacksmith area, etc. Guild achievements can give special trophies/plaques/decorations that you can place around the hall, along with craftable decorations and the like.

There. Now "more than one person" could appreciate it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

People say player housing is boring, stupid, whatnot, and yet in LotRO they've had problems with the more populated servers running out of instances for player housing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like player housing to exist in the game world, but they players with the most gold will get all of the good stuff and I don't want something new for only players that stock up on gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    People say player housing is boring, stupid, whatnot, and yet in LotRO they've had problems with the more populated servers running out of instances for player housing.
    People are worried that player housing wont offer another avenue for them to force other people into thinking they're cool, so they think it's "uneeded."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Interestingly enough, in regard to people I interact with, the same people that complained about pet battles taking time away from content are the same people that are complaining they're not wasting time on player housing.

At least with pet battles (not that I bother with it) is you can obtain something meaningful from it (in regard to lesser charms etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    An instanced, phased or otherwise personalized chunk of the world is exactly what I personally would want. Having all the creative and decorative tools at my disposal I would work a masterpiece and when I was ready and done, I'd show it off to all my friends by inviting them to my group and allowing them to join my "phase" or "instance.
    And they'll look around for 2 minutes say "nice house dude"... and then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People are worried that player housing wont offer another avenue for them to force other people into thinking they're cool, so they think it's "uneeded."
    Pretty much my conclusion as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And then for PvE servers... jackshit nothing?
    No, there would be guild vs guild stuff that you could engage in within your faction. But I guess for some people, that is too similar to pvp >.<

What message? "Some people really really want player housing, other people don't care or are outright hostile to the idea"?

I get that some people really, really like the concept of player housing. Like really, really, really. But it's mostly a niche thing. Personally I'd probably welcome it. Like Sunsong Ranch but with lots more cool stuff, visual representations of achievements, armour racks, etc. Could be really kickass. But it's a lot of design resources for something only certain people would really enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm glad they've come out and said this. I have always been against Player Housing, I've never liked the idea. It's great for single player games, horrible for multiplayer. I never played UO nor do I know anything about it, but the only game I've ever heard of housing in a way I liked, is what Wildstar is doing. Even then I still have trouble with it, worried about people just staying in their little flying house alone from everyone else, spending more time decorating the house than doing anything else.

So can Wildstar be done well? Yes. Do I think it's worth the time and effort it would take to make it feel like it belongs in an MMO? Only if it's part of the game from the earliest development days.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    for housing? I'd like an instanced place where I could decorate, play games, get some food from the fridge, invite my friends and guildies in, and throw some parties with provided disco balls
    That's stupid. Id rather just log out in a city. No need for player housing. Stupid request. Glad its never been granted.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is already plenty of interesting end game content, and believe me there will be quite a few players interested in player housing. I do hope though, it won't be like your farm at halfhill, where everything is same as every other character, involving dailies just to add some features which are cosmetic only.

It would be nice to have Guild Housing, which can be a visual way of boasting off your guild achievements. Imagine a lifesize statue of the last boss you defeated (on normal raids only of course not LFR) in your front yard or inside. You could have your Guild Housing/Hall open to public if you wish, or closed to friends and guild members.

Player housing could be an area that is phased which has numerous houses which are open to buy from a housing auction. Of course for those who don't have the gold could be supplied with a 'unit' which is free to keep and to receive, but not as appealing as the houses. To own a house you will be required to pay a weekly rent (as to ensure the money wizards of the game just don't buy out all houses then that's the end for anyone else) Player housing IMO should be customisable, craft your own furniture, outdoor gardens etc. You could have a farm similar to your ranch in panda where you can grow cooking materials. Houses should have the option to be open to public, or just open to friends and guild members.

So in a way, for those that want to have player housing have something they can save their gold up for, and spend time in decorating. And for those that don't well, it won't effect you in the slightest.

Houses shouldn't have portals, or anything that would make them superior to capital cities, just more of a cosmetic trophy, and farming plot basically.

Something like this, if they did it correctly can be an endgame in itself, if you aint into raiding etc, you could spend your time creating your own little home, and showing it off to friends

And yes my ideas are based on how AIon does there player housing, which I thought was quite a good system. Although Rift Housing/Dimensions are quite fun too since everything is customisable!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiGadi View Post
    player controlled warfare would be a pretty sweet addition with airships, and it would give World PvP a huge boost
    Don't you think that if guilds wanted to fight they'd go out and fight with one another already?

I'm trying to imagine any faction capital with five dozen airships floating over it. I suspect that adding flight combat between airships would be a very big thing to code and for very little purpose after the first couple of weeks.

But whatever, if we are to have flying airships let us also have searchlights, air raid warnings and gnome/goblin created artillery batteries so we can join in the fun from on the ground. +3 crit from getting hit with a shard of flaming debris.

Oh, the humanity
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Interestingly enough, in regard to people I interact with, the same people that complained about pet battles taking time away from content are the same people that are complaining they're not wasting time on player housing.

At least with pet battles (not that I bother with it) is you can obtain something meaningful from it (in regard to lesser charms etc).
    Not everything needs to be about gearing your character, and I can garantee you that Blizzard will keep adding things that arent gear-up related like pet battles and the likes, as pet battles was pretty successful as they've stated.