Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    @OP

So if everyone has an instanced house then surely that would make the realms even deader right...?

Its a double-edged sword for the low-pop realms, theres not many others around outside so your own instanced house is good for hanging out somewhere productive. Yet u will still be playing solo as u sit in your house alone...
    I played LOTRO for some time, there were instanced player homes and guild halls. Do you think world was empty and everyone just hang around there? hell no, why would people do that, when you have questing, crafting, raids and all that crap in the world?
    But still it was cool to decorate your home with a new trophy and check other players backyards.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    for housing? I'd like an instanced place where I could decorate, play games, get some food from the fridge, invite my friends and guildies in, and throw some parties with provided disco balls
    WoW isn't a sandbox mmo, how can't people understand it?
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

I hope they never do player housing, It's going to take shitloads of dev time, and what more could you do than just decorating it and maybe some other perks? I think it would be better if they just made Inn's more interesting in some way ( drinking games, heartstone implemantation, warderobe etc)
    Last edited by makketota; 2013-09-02 at 10:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by makketota View Post
    I hope they never do player housing, It's going to take shitloads of dev time, and what more could you do than just decorating it and maybe some other perks? No thanks.
    please Blizzard stop with creating new raids, I don't like it and thing it's pointless, no thanks.

Yeah. They should just drop the idea entirely. Player housing sounds like the most boring part of MMOs. If I have the choice between slaying dragons and decorating a house, why would I choose to decorate a house? Why would anyone?
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    please Blizzard stop with creating new raids, I don't like it and thing it's pointless, no thanks.
    You're comparing a core gameplay feature to something that adds literally zero gameplay at all, that's kind of funny. But it's also kinda sad, and actually proves the point as to why player housing is pointless.

It adds virtually nothing, there is absolutely nothing you can do in player housing other than sitting there looking at it, or hoping other people look at it. Basically, you can play Sims and do the same thing. Especially since the Sims is actually made for that, while WoW is made to actually play your character and not decorate a house.

@OP

So if everyone has an instanced house then surely that would make the realms even deader right...?

Its a double-edged sword for the low-pop realms, theres not many others around outside so your own instanced house is good for hanging out somewhere productive. Yet u will still be playing solo as u sit in your house alone...
    I would not want to see instances guild housing. There is some room on live servers in certain zones for a few spots for some housing. Just have a small section in a few selected zones, have an auction at the BMAH for the deed for that area and it can only be bought buy a guild (so a GM or officer of a guild) it is then linked to that guild. You can then have limited spots for guild housing and have some customising options.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    well the problem is that player housing is someting extra. and might be fun for some people. but people don't pay/play WoW to have a house. might as well play a sims online kinda like mmo.

It's also greatest place to store all your bag-bloating stuff. Some players may like open world idea, but I just hate this feeling, that I'm homeless.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved SWG player housing/cities.

Wish there was something like that in a good MMO these days.

15+ Year Old Account
    so what does in game housing add to my game play?
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

Player housing is not what the game needs. Blizzard want us to be out in the world doing stuff, and if not then AFk in a major city where we make it feel populated. Everyone just hanging out in their own personal instance is counter-productive.
    Player housing works in some games (for example I used to play a game called Tibia where it worked quite well), but I don't think it's good for WoW.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if they implement player housing it should be as a vertical progression thing for the old school crowd. Make people farm thousands of mats for it, like the AQ opening event. And once the house is built, add more of those things... want a permanent teleport to your house? Farm 10000 Goldthorn! Want a portal to Dalaran in it? Farm 10000 Saronite Ore!

There are loads of ways to make it tie into the world and be prestigious through tuning the requirements and the actual gameplay content required - think the kinds of vanilla quests everyone remembers. In order to make it relevant it would simply have to be non-casual, or at least come with heavily stratified cosmetic rewards.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2013-09-02 at 10:52 AM.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like seeing people in cities, listening to trade chat for groups and even looking at other peoples gear and transmog. Don't see the point of making it so the cities feel empty. Player Housing adds nothing to the game in terms of useful content, it doesn't really have long term cosmetic benefits like Transmog, which everyone can see. The world needs less instancing, not more.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

I don't mind them spending time on other stuff, like pet battles even though I don't play it myself. Player housing might sound like a fun concept but just look at other MMO's that have tried it. As I said I rather want them do something with Inn's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    so what does in game housing add to my game play?
    time sink.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sildor View Post
    Player housing is not what the game needs. Blizzard want us to be out in the world doing stuff, and if not then AFk in a major city where we make it feel populated. Everyone just hanging out in their own personal instance is counter-productive.
    Player housing works in some games (for example I used to play a game called Tibia where it worked quite well), but I don't think it's good for WoW.
    We need to increase the size of the world then and have housing like SWG!

I don't like the idea of instanced housing either.

Deleted
    @OP

While I couldn't care less about player housing (and probably sit slightly over in the "for" side if anything) it's these complaints that I really don't get because not only have they proven to be false in other game (the presence of dimensions hasn't made Tempest Bay in Rift a ghost town for example), but I don't get the difference in people hanging about the latest city hub waiting for their instance queue to pop or hanging about in a housing area waiting for their instance queue to pop.
    People "solo" play right now, it doesn't matter how many people are standing in the Valley of Strength at the same time as them.
    It's a proven myth that player housing housing leads to players spending all their "relaxing" in those areas. All that happens, from a gameplay perspective, is people have something else to do, something else to earn rewards for, something else to follow a progression curve for; the amount of time each individual person spends in them on average isn't a concern.
    Now, if you object to player housing on resource level I could see your argument, but this "Oh noes the streets will be deserted" is so demonstrably false that it's not even funny.

Deleted
    Just wait till Wildstar comes out and check out player housing there. To be honest .. it looks amazing. What will it do to the game-world population-wise? No clue. But it seems done right to be honest. Check out the video if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBKu5XJ3Ds

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft + The Sims 3 ultimate mashup??

Ha Gaaayyyyyy

Still don't get why some people insist on getting this pointless feature.
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

Quote Originally Posted by ACPrime View Post
    Just wait till Wildstar comes out and check out player housing there. To be honest .. it looks amazing. What will it do to the game-world population-wise? No clue. But it seems done right to be honest. Check out the video if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBKu5XJ3Ds
    So basically, it's the Sims. And then after you build enough, you never have to leave because you can farm in your own little block. So it goes from a MMO into the Sims into a single player farming game, and the only time you leave is to go raid (assuming you're already max level)

What part of that is fun? That completely negates the point. Granted, I don't actually farm mats for anything in WoW anyway, but still, at least sometimes I see people ride by on a mount or something farming. Not that it really matters... Actually, it makes no difference at all. But why waste resources to make no difference? That would be the equivalent to throwing money into a shredder.

EDIT: I will say I like how you attack the crops in your garden to harvest them. Because nothing sells delicate flower like attacking it with a sword. Quite enjoyed that, wish it was the same in WoW instead of the dumb cast time harvesting. =\