Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not this again....

Right:
    - you will use it one week to a month perhaps
    - you will get bored of it / why? Because why go stand idling in a room without anyone there or hardly anyone? Even in a guild that has 500 members
    1. will you be there with people you actually LIKE of those 500?
    2. why would people be there in that ONE spot when they can walk/fly/run around in a city or..... the open world?
    - oh you will have an anvil and other profession requirements available in there? Really? So I have to go into an instanced room with a loading screen to get to my NPC's? While I can just fly to the locations I need in a city? Or if it is PHASED, it would become a hotspot and probably very lagsensitive.

Look from a ROLEPLAY POV I can understand. Not from any convenience POV. It is a waste of resources. There are a zillion other things in WoW that needs attention before this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Housing had nothing to do with UO's decline. Their numbers increased month over month until the release of Age of Shadows revamped the core mechanics of the game. Like most things in that game, housing was comprehensive and mirrored a real economy, adding depth that is not found in Warcraft. An actual real estate economy developed. You could buy and sell houses. For many, the acquisition of a house after months or years of grinding was the penultimate experience, much as it is in the real world. The hoarding of wealth, and diversity of housing types allowed for a never-ending grind to decorate or upgrade your housing. It was a great way to pass time between expansions. Simple services like character transfers in Warcraft would allow long-time players to transfer to a new server to place a house, and the Trammel facet also doubled the player housing on the same servers. The effect of housing on the landscape is a matter of opinion. Wide open, barren areas can be boring to some. I spent MANY a night in UO just walking around the world enjoying the tricks and techniques players used to decorate. Isn't that what WoW developers are always complaining about? Getting people out into the world? Player housing, guild houses, etc. do just that. I'm not saying it would work in WoW, or that they should even try. WoW isn't UO. WoW is inferior in most ways, other than the graphics engine and character diversity. It probably doesn't have the depth of play to ever successfully implement such a mechanic.
    Let us say that one can built a house wherever the player desires.
    1. annoying rich guild A that know where rival guild B will be making a house, will just get a bogus guild and set that house right at that very spot.
    2. you could get wildgrowth of houses where one does not want it - could be made so by blizzard that there are a FINITE available spots on a server and locations

You claim that people will go out and about when you have houses everywhere. Really? So let us assume the most logical scenario > your Hearthstone is bonded with your guilds house. = no one sees the world, your house is where you could go idle. Or even worse: Blizzard makes them cloaks a way to portal to your guildhouse. Which will probably not be used very often since your guildhouse will not be next to the center of the expansion where the shit is going down.

Ultimately it is a waste.

Don't like it - don't use it. As simple as that. Only number of lost subs in Wow will show, how many players want it. And I've already signed up for Beta test. Hope will get inventation soon.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Housing had nothing to do with UO's decline. Their numbers increased month over month until the release of Age of Shadows revamped the core mechanics of the game. Like most things in that game, housing was comprehensive and mirrored a real economy, adding depth that is not found in Warcraft. An actual real estate economy developed. You could buy and sell houses. For many, the acquisition of a house after months or years of grinding was the penultimate experience, much as it is in the real world. The hoarding of wealth, and diversity of housing types allowed for a never-ending grind to decorate or upgrade your housing. It was a great way to pass time between expansions. Simple services like character transfers in Warcraft would allow long-time players to transfer to a new server to place a house, and the Trammel facet also doubled the player housing on the same servers. The effect of housing on the landscape is a matter of opinion. Wide open, barren areas can be boring to some. I spent MANY a night in UO just walking around the world enjoying the tricks and techniques players used to decorate. Isn't that what WoW developers are always complaining about? Getting people out into the world? Player housing, guild houses, etc. do just that. I'm not saying it would work in WoW, or that they should even try. WoW isn't UO. WoW is inferior in most ways, other than the graphics engine and character diversity. It probably doesn't have the depth of play to ever successfully implement such a mechanic.
    To be fair when UO was at its best the player housing was brilliant. I was in a roleplay guild and we had a LOT of fun with our custom housing. We made it fit the theme of our guild and everything. No other MMO i've played has anything close to UOs housing system. The games major decline was its engine was aging and there was no major end game. oh its skill up system was BRUTAL (power hour anyone).

I would love to have a UO styled housing system in wow where there is a few limited spots per zone to place a house and you bid on each areas plot via the BMAH.

Listen if Blizz can make player housing and you have to spend real money to decorate it, they will might implement it. For me I don't give a crap about having a place for my toon to stay. I would rather them keep to game content and improving the game (sorry laughing too hard, because Blizz gave up on this years ago).

10+ Year Old Account
    thing is i honestly would not know what to do with housing because for it to make sense it needs to provide some sort convenience features such as access to AH, Bank, Give rested exp however I'm certain blizzard would never implement something something like this (aside from possibly personal bank and rested exp) because then players would have little incentive to go to major cities except for things like guild bank, class trainers and trade chat. Given how blizzard wants people to go out and explore the world having a hub where you afk waiting for your queue does not fit that goal.

If it were not to have something aside from bank/inn what is the point of dedicating a zone/land/island/tree for said housing. I see no point to this aside from "this spec of land is mine and no one else can't have it"

Another issue is do you have it phased or not? This is a tough one because if it IS phased then getting cool rewards/upgrade for your house is kinda meaningless if you can't share it/show it off. Having it NOT phased means you may run into trolls and people just swamping your house. Maybe a system where only your party/raid members can see it and rest can't would work but needs new application of the phasing tech.

IMO the development of personal progression similar to Brawler's guild and Proving Grounds >>>>> the time spent developing proving grounds. It would be nice to see a pvp training feature where you need to CC, Interrupt, kill NPC's similar to how the raid fight was in ToC but both the NPC and you would be in pvp gear and you would get pvp rewards.

Rift, EQ2, LOTRO, FFXI and soon to be FFXIV and...I heard? Wildstar all have or will have player housing. In Rift, EQ2 and Lotro it was highly successful. In many "old school" MMOs player housing was a main attraction - mind you, these were the days before the MMO genre got flooded with FPS kiddies that have the attention span and imagination of a gnat.

More things to do in game = more fun. I have no interest in pet battle via Pokemon, but obviously a lot of people like it. It really is pointless and adds nothing to the game, but fun factor...which is the point of a game, right? Frankly more content like housing and pet battles or a real crafting system would potentially make me interested enough in WoW to come back. But Blizzard caters to the FPS generation, so it's unlikely it will happen.

But I think Blizzard won't implement it, cuz their game engine is too ugly for it.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    But I think Blizzard won't implement it, cuz their game engine is too ugly for it.
    Then run along to play your superduperultragraphicfun Wildstar, engine is fine as it is, because it became "part"of WoW already.
    And in your earlier post, saying that WoW loses subs because there's no player housing...just lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a simple large instance for each capitol (SW and Org definitely, maybe IF and UC as well) would do well. An instance approx the size of BRD, but empty with a simple cycle of streets patterned after the city in question, with a number of empty houses. A couple main drags with some guild houses (Higher level guild perk maybe?) and a number of sidestreets with individual player housing. Maybe a few NPCs milling about doing random tasks to give it the feel of a populated place. Definitely no vendors, trainer, or AH though. Let them be locked with a soulbound item (like a hearthstone) and you canopen them while you're "at home". Cosmetic rewards dor decoration/customization, maybe even some new professions like carpentry or somethng to produce furniture. And if they need more houses, key another duplicate of the instance.

Stormwind already has the gate in place.
    Last edited by Urti; 2013-09-03 at 03:44 PM.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

I don't get it. If you want your own specific place = Sunsong ranch. If you want a "home" for your RP character that other players can visit, pick one of the random houses out in the world on a mountain somewhere. There's lots of those. Would make a great setting for RP, imo.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

I would go one step further, and allow WoW to have custom user-made content.

I do believe this would be the ultimate feature to give WoW longevity. I mean, look at the amazing stuff people have done with the editor from Warcraft and Starcraft. Some custom campaigns from Warcraft 3 are even better than the game's original.

A user-made raid, such as Black Temple? Another take at the Well of Eternity? Alternate reality where Arthas is alive? Facing all the Old Gods at once? Yes please!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I would go one step further, and allow WoW to have custom user-made content.

I do believe this would be the ultimate feature to give WoW longevity. I mean, look at the amazing stuff people have done with the editor from Warcraft and Starcraft. Some custom campaigns from Warcraft 3 are even better than the game's original.

A user-made raid, such as Black Temple? Another take at the Well of Eternity? Alternate reality where Arthas is alive? Facing all the Old Gods at once? Yes please!
    The only reasons I would hesitate at that is the QC angle. Yeah that could result in some absolutely amazing content, but it would definitely result in a mountain of crap content. Sifting through colossal heaps of shite for the occasional diamond isn't very fun. There is also the question of reward, and is Blizz really gonna give players access to loot tables?
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Its funny how everyone now spouts the same bs that the blue said. I don't remember "it's boring without something special" to be an argument of that magnitude in the past. First of all housing is not for everyone, as is neither raiding nor pvp for that matter, accept that.

Wehn thinking about housing I like to remember housing in EQ2, where you would furnish your room that was an instance somewhere in a town you entered by clicking on a door. Not good enough ? It's okay for 90% of the content to be like that, heck thats a lie. It's okay for 40% of the content to be like that, another 50% is accessed via your UI nowadays, so why would there have to be giant zones or even houses somewhere out in the wildernes? While the later would be cool, it's absolutly not neccessary.

All that needs to be inside such a room is a bit of furniture you have to earn and a few fun items you gathered during your travels. The rest is a trophy room like blizzard already implemented personally phased for everyone with the archeology stuff. It doesn't need to be a boring ass repetetive grind like the farm, just a way to be a little bit creative and a place to put the stuff you've acquired during your travels, showing it off to friends that come to visit. I mean it's hillarious that blizzard things this way when even social gaming, stuff like garry's mod or endless cash cows like the sims show how easy and lucrative this feature is. I guess it is not warcrafty enough for metzen and street.

And this is only for personal houses, the shit you could do with guild houses that could actually increase the bond of guilds to make them more than easier to manage raiding enviroments...
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-09-03 at 04:17 PM.

No player housing.

I would much rather have guild housing. Less focus on Solo stuff and more focus on guild interaction.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Edit: I forgot to mention that is very strange that my rp character has existed in the world of warcraft for 9 years now and still has no house. I just find it odd I have to make him sit in an inn if wants to sleep. Then again, the rp limitations of this game are enormous.
    We risk life and limb, paying numerous visits to the personification of death herself the Spirit Healer, to protect Azeroth from world-ending dangers - and this is in addition to the minor "police work" dealing with bandits and such. You would think by now, the "Kings" of our respective factions would have given us a huge chunk of land in appreciation of our efforts. But nope, still a homeless hobo.

As myself I realy like customization wether its a character or a house it gives me control over how I want it, anyways the new EQ has an option to build a settlement anywhere in the world definitely gonna try that out to see how it goes, I also like the guilds halls in GW1.

As for WoW I don't see Blizzard adding it any time soon though (Probaly even never).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yeah, no player housing is a stupid idea, it's not interesting and adds no interesting gameplay whatsoever. I absolutely can not see why anyone would want player housing at the expense of something meaningful like, let's say, interesting end game content?
    right, because every1 cares only for raids/arena/bgs and no people ever do Pet battles/farmville minigame or grind achievements or level up alts, it's all about end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    right, because every1 cares only for raids/arena/bgs and no people ever do Pet battles/farmville minigame or grind achievements or level up alts, it's all about end game.
    Get ready for the onslaught of "casual" hate.

A disturbingly large percentage of the playerbase is somehow grossly, terribly, and pathologically offended if others play WoW differently than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    i think this is one of those "vocal minority" things
    ^^^

Phased housing is boring. There are plenty of other games that allow you to play homemaker. If it's a feature you like, fine, but don't assume that most of us want it. I would never step foot into my house because I just couldn't possibly care less.

Now, if they did something like classic Runescape it may be more interesting, but just some stupid instanced home? No thanks.