Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #281
    Brewmaster Travio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    They went into the future as if they never stopped Deathwing & failed to do so that is how future without stopping Deathwing was like.

    Now that we stopped him, the future is different.
    But we did stop Deathwing. So that future doesn't occur on our timeline. But we still went there - how did we go somewhere that doesn't exist on our timeline unless we went to another timeline?

  2. #282
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    But we did stop Deathwing. So that future doesn't occur on our timeline. But we still went there - how did we go somewhere that doesn't exist on our timeline unless we went to another timeline?
    A causality paradox. The lowest common denominator of time travel stories.

  3. #283
    Brewmaster Travio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    A causality paradox. The lowest common denominator of time travel stories.
    Easily explained with multiple timelines - which we know to exist, because Murozond said he looked to all possible futures and the outcome where we ended up fighting him was the best one for Azeroth.

    Now, the whole idea of being us able to step back and forth across those timelines, into an infinite number of worlds, where the infinite dragonflight can interfere...

  4. #284
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    Easily explained with multiple timelines - which we know to exist, because Murozond said he looked to all possible futures and the outcome where we ended up fighting him was the best one for Azeroth.

    Now, the whole idea of being us able to step back and forth across those timelines, into an infinite number of worlds, where the infinite dragonflight can interfere...
    Superstring style time travel, like sliders but also through time. Sliders.

    Billy Mays will sell us his big city slider station.

    The parallel time line method is the most intellectually lazy way of preventing paradoxes.

    As I elluded to in this or some other time travel thread; the better and more compelling solution is having only one controller of time travel who does so with both omniscience and intention. Nozdormu's split personality rules out this possibility unless Aman'Thul is aware of everything he will do and has the ability to revoke his power across all time, including when and where he goes bad.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I agree, the Trials of the Timewalkers don't sound like stuff to help out new players. They actually sound like the perfect thing for alts which you want to boost up to max level instead.
    EXACTLY what I was thinking, what the OP said makes zero sense.

    If this is the next expansion, I'd play it...because it's WoW, but I'd be so massively disappointed, time travel is a load of bs, I want new zones and worlds to explore, not cataclysm or CoT, time travel feels disjointed, exactly what Blizzard said feedback that cataclysm fucked up on, so I don't think they'd do it now.

    I also don't think they'd not add a new class or race because it's basically become a mandatory selling point now.

    Scalable raids would be amazing, as seen on the front page, but most of the ideas from this thread I don't like, so gems in there though.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This is exactly what was done with Cataclysm.

    Maybe you should take a moment to go back and see how well it went over.
    A large amount of the player base did NOT like developer time and resources being put into updated and changed versions of old content--It was probably one of the single biggest, most often brought up problems with the expansion.

    Even I, who enjoyed the Cataclysm revamp, and playing through old zones would not enjoy an expansion that is "Oh hey, you played through Lordaeron in classic... you played through the NEW Lordearon in Cataclysm.. but now... WATCH OUT... you're going to play through Lordaeron... IN THE PAST, when there was more forests and human cities were around! Coming Soon!"
    But it's not exactly what happened in Cataclysm. It's similar yet different, but because of the similarities people can't see past "Cataclysm 2.0". The only rehashed zones in Cataclysm were the leveling zones and I believe the general consensus is that the new leveling experience itself was very good. The only problem was that not enough people played through it, and there wasn't enough resources to make a good end-game experience. If redone zones were end game content, this would in fact save huge amounts of resources which could go towards more dungeons and raids, but there could still be a great questing experience. I'm really confused as to why anyone would object to playing through what would essentially be an entirely new zone (different textures and everything) just because it was the same general shape.

    The key would be finding zones that are different enough in the past, or the future or whatever that they could make them seem fresh.
    Disclaimer: No I'm not Alliance. I reserve the right to bat for both factions thank you very much.


  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    But it's not exactly what happened in Cataclysm. It's similar yet different, but because of the similarities people can't see past "Cataclysm 2.0". The only rehashed zones in Cataclysm were the leveling zones and I believe the general consensus is that the new leveling experience itself was very good. The only problem was that not enough people played through it, and there wasn't enough resources to make a good end-game experience. If redone zones were end game content, this would in fact save huge amounts of resources which could go towards more dungeons and raids, but there could still be a great questing experience. I'm really confused as to why anyone would object to playing through what would essentially be an entirely new zone (different textures and everything) just because it was the same general shape.

    The key would be finding zones that are different enough in the past, or the future or whatever that they could make them seem fresh.
    I've seen it mentioned many times, and I agree, that the questing in cata was so rigid and "on rails" that the player had no voice in what areas in a zone to quest in. You had to go from hub a to hub b in that order, you could not skip. For people with more than one toon especially it was horrible.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
    I've seen it mentioned many times, and I agree, that the questing in cata was so rigid and "on rails" that the player had no voice in what areas in a zone to quest in. You had to go from hub a to hub b in that order, you could not skip. For people with more than one toon especially it was horrible.
    But again, that's likely due to not having the resources to create less linear content. Most the of the problem with Cata was caused by the huge effort taken to revamp the old world. A time travel expansion, with 8-10 new zones based off of old zones wouldn't have this problem.

    Basically, Cata has soured people to any revamping whatsoever, even though it wasn't the concept of revamping itself that was the problem, but how it was handled. Revamped zones could be handled well. I mean Cata was the most hyped expansion ever - there was clearly a lot of love for the idea of going back to old zones to begin with. Why can't it be done well in a time travel expansion, and bring back some of that love?
    Disclaimer: No I'm not Alliance. I reserve the right to bat for both factions thank you very much.


  9. #289
    This post is great, full of nostalgia, I would love to see an "Infinite" expansion.

  10. #290
    no new class no new race... good luck with that

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    You know, that is a fair point! The vision of End time was where we killed Muruzond, yet by killing Deathwing that will never happen. So Muruzond is alive and the Infinite Dragonflight still exists. I never thought of it this way.
    Murozond was a time traveller & not native to that timeline.

    Killing Deathwing is very much irrelevent to him being there as he's hiding out. We simply met him there and killed him.

    His Dungeon journal entry:
    Now living outside of time, Murozond was once the great Dragon Aspect Nozdormu the Timeless One. After the titans showed him his own death, the tormented Nozdormu was tricked by the Old Gods into trying to subvert his mortality. As a result, Nozdormu shattered the timeways and created the infinite dragonflight... jeopardizing the very future of Azeroth.

  12. #292
    Blizzard already stated there is something horrible under tirisfal but it's not an old god. Fan creation or not, at least get your facts straight before trying to create something.
    I'm the minister of mistakes. I'm the shaman of sh*tstorms. If there was a f**k-up pope. I'd have a 3 foot hat!

    When arguing online I like to use big words. Because by the time they're done googling it, they have forgotten what their point was.

  13. #293
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    a well written expansion idea, Kudos
    although i would be sad if we got no new races or new classes.
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  14. #294
    I'm sure someone already mentioned this, but...

    Throughout the zone the player also hears whispers from an ancient Old God, awakened and unchained from its ancient Titan Prison below tirisfal.
    Whatever is below Tirisfal has already been confirmed to NOT be an Old God. We don't know what it is, as we've only been told we shouldn't "go digging through the Glades", but there has been confirmation that there is NOT an old god under Tirisfal.

    Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489940501

    Q: Is there truly an Old God underneath the Tirisfal Glade?
    A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.

  15. #295
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    Easily explained with multiple timelines - which we know to exist, because Murozond said he looked to all possible futures and the outcome where we ended up fighting him was the best one for Azeroth.

    Now, the whole idea of being us able to step back and forth across those timelines, into an infinite number of worlds, where the infinite dragonflight can interfere...
    remember, wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  16. #296
    The Patient kallekaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    around 60°N 24°E
    Posts
    331
    Ive said it before that an expansion where we'd be able to go back in time would be cool.

    But one thing I dont like is the "Trial of the Timewalkers"
    Anything that would just skip levels is stupid. Leveling is easy enough. And I really feel that actually leveling your character is what a role playing game is all about. Not just skipping to lvl 90.
    The problem with new players is that trial is too short. You cant really test the game when you can level only in two zones per race. And to pay for the game just to see if you like it isnt really atrractive. 1-60 should be the minimum for the free trial next expansion.

    And besides, if you are a new player it would be kinda hard to do the Trial of the Timewalkers. You said it was for new players. Skipping 10 levels and then trying to learn your shit by soloing in an arena seems hard and like I said it wouldnt even be leveling.

  17. #297
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tempest Keep
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Apprently the timeline we live in isn't the true timeline, but one that has been masked.
    Who gets to determine which timeline is the true timeline?

  18. #298
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    Who gets to determine which timeline is the true timeline?

    who indeed?!
    who...in-...deed...?
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Murozond View Post
    This is but a glimpse into the timeways... It is a reality that has already come, is yet to come, and will never come.
    I lol'd at the first line.

    This is actually pretty good. I wouldn't mind playing it.

  20. #300
    I dunno, I think I could see a lot of this stuff being very plausible.

    Why? 'cause I highly doubt we're going to be tackling the Legion head-on next expansion. Plus Wrathion would be the type to abuse timestreams and bring people like Illidan over to help fight the Legion once they actually arrive. And it gives us an expansion to basically redirect our focus towards the Burning Legion by looking into alternate realities...

    Plus there's evidence that scalable raids/dungeons is going to be very real. The devs mentioned sometime in August that the scaling technology had basically been finished, and sometime last week someone discovered a glitch/bug while in Stratholme where he was suddenly scaled down stats-wise (at level 90) to iLvl 43 gear and was easily destroyed by a bunch of level 40ish mobs.

    As for the Infinite stuff in general, we already know from the Timeless Isle questline that there is indeed a traitor amongst 'em... Mal'Ganis, though? Seems a bit far-fetched, but it is plausible since in WotLK it was revealed that he's alive and all we did was force him to flee to some other realm or whatever.

    With Illidan's "revival" of sorts, and bringing him back to our timeline... beyond Wrathion being the guy who'll stop at nothing to defeat the Legion and protect the planet he loves so much (and presumably the people, even though he uses us as weapons and tools for his plans to beat away the Legion), I can actually see it being plausible as well. 'cause Metzen mentioned back in 2010's Blizzcon that he'd like to bring Illidan back since he's a sucker for a good redemption story. In 2011's Blizzcon lore Q&A, he said that they would work on figuring out a way to bring Illidan back. So going back in time would make sense to retrieve him, though I really don't think it would work to retrieve him from the Black Temple... it'd probably need to be earlier, like maybe even before he absorbs the Skull of Gul'dan. 'cause in Burning Crusade he was pretty much mad, since he went to ridiculous lengths to try and stop the Legion, and for some reason became our enemy rather than working with us to stop the Legion.

    The alternate leveling path for 1-90 would be huge and IMO great for those who don't want to go through the fairly long leveling process otherwise. And it seems like it would be something Blizzard would do to help people get up to the expansion faster.

    Overall, most of the ideas Murozond presented sound like they could make for good expansion material and most of the stuff sounds very plausible. And it somewhat fits in with the supposed leaks from that Chinese site which also talks about an expansion focused more on tackling the Infinite Dragonflight and investigating at least one alternate timeline.

    Plus having alternate timelines could set the stage for a Warcraft 4 RTS, which could simply continue off of a different timeline where there might not have been so many heroes willingly ready to tackle the world's threats.

    Also, alternate timelines are pretty much already existent. Rhonin, Krasus, and Broxigar going back in time during the War of the Ancients is a good example of this, 'cause that happened in a book trilogy and yet in the War of the Ancients instance in Cataclysm they were never seen there; Blizzard probably did that on purpose for some reason or another. And the Timeless Isle quest chain shows an alternate timeline where Garrosh is killed. And End Time shows an alternate timeline where things go to hell if Deathwing isn't stopped. So it's not like these alternate timelines aren't visitable, since they clearly are, and they can alter future outcomes which is why the Infinite Dragonflight has been messing with the timelines so much. Plus with the Bronze Dragonflight unable to really do much now, that allows the Infinites to potentially screw with the timelines quite a bit and make several alternate realities.

    So if you simply made all of that up, kudos for creativity. If that's actually a leak, then I can't wait for them to reveal it at Blizzcon.

    Less than two weeks... >.<
    Last edited by Sorenthaz; 2013-10-28 at 10:00 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •