Page 3 of 200 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    A friend on my facebook just posted this (she is a waitress at our local Red Robin) and i feel somewhat conflicted about this statement.
    She's 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    nope

i dont agree with it

it's not someone else's fault that your employer doesn't pay you enough. if you don't like your job, then get a new one. if you can't, then you don't want a new job badly enough.

yeah its my fault that you cant choose to not work a shitty job that you dont like

you are right, it is definitely my fault your company does not pay you enough

maybe if you spent more time doing your job instead of bitching about it, you'd be getting tips from people instead of flaming them on the internet. it's because of people like you, that whenever i eat out, i never leave a tip. you and your ilk are directly responsible for a waiter not receiving a tip every time i go out to eat. i hope that you can live with that.

cuz i mean if it's my fault their job is bad then this must also be your fault
    You are absolutely hilarious. You should seriously consider making a career out of comedy.

Just don't blame me when you come home every night smelling of putrid produce. But your lack of shame makes me somehow believe you wouldn't mind.

(Yeah, you're an ass.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I wonder if people who are saying that it's okay to not tip know the amount that a waitress in the US gets paid per hour.

it's about 2 dollars
    It can't be 2 dollars since that's below minimum wage in many places. It pisses me off that there are self-entitled waitresses and waiters out there who think they can guilt-trip people and gouge money out of them.

They are not working a skilled job at all. They are doing something that a chimpanzee could probably do if given enough vocalization training. They don't deserve tips at all. They should be thankful if they get one and still thankful if they don't. The culture of demanding tips is absolutely disgusting.

OP, I would tell that waitress on your Facebook feed that she isn't working any special job that deserves tipping. She's doing menial, average labor and she doesn't deserve tips from hardworking people who can barely afford the bill in the first place. Tell her to stop being so infuriatingly self-entitled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Nice propaganda they've fed to you. Did they ask tip for that aswell?
    Propaganda? Not really, it's called reality. I've never worked a tip job, but my brother is a server, and they get paid I think 2.25 an hour. Which is roughly just enough to cover taxes, so they don't get a paycheck. No tips = no pay. If we moved away from a tip based system, employers would have to pay their employees a standard wage, lets say 10$ an hour. Thats roughly 4x what they're being paid now.
    My comment about wiping out the restaurant industry simply meant that if everyone stopped tipping, and servers and such weren't paid a decent wage, nobody would perform those jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommunistBias View Post
    It can't be 2 dollars since that's below minimum wage in many places. It pisses me off that there are self-entitled waitresses and waiters out there who think they can guilt-trip people and gouge money out of them.

They are not working a skilled job at all. They are doing something that a chimpanzee could probably do if given enough vocalization training. They don't deserve tips at all. They should be thankful if they get one and still thankful if they don't. The culture of demanding tips is absolutely disgusting.

OP, I would tell that waitress on your Facebook feed that she isn't working any special job that deserves tipping. She's doing menial, average labor and she doesn't deserve tips from hardworking people who can barely afford the bill in the first place. Tell her to stop being so infuriatingly self-entitled.
    http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
    2.13 an hour

10+ Year Old Account
    if you don't have a source of income why would you go out to a place where you leave a tip just go to like a subway or mcdonalds rather than La Hacienda or Apple Bees
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    add the tip to the price and im fine with that, give a tip not even based on my happiness as a customer or even my mood ? its my money i spent it how i please.

and why wouldn't you tip a MCdonalds person ? but you will some other place where the food/service is as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Her boss would disagree and to me, grounds for firing if said to a customer.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    This is not the same thread as i have a different approach to tipping, i am not asking if tipping is required, i am asking in relation to that statement that if you only have enough money for dinner but not enough for tip, should you not go?
    Yes, stay home or take your order home. This is how servers make their money. It's part of the deal. If you don't tip you are literally taking money out of their pocket because they could have had someone seated who would have left a tip. Of course, you can do it, it just makes you a bit of a dick.

Most states do not enforce the typical min. wage for tip based industries. You're quite ignorant on a subject that you seemingly have such strong opinions about. You're just cheap; this is how these people make a living, how they pay their bills, how they feed their children (assuming they have children). Don't like it? Stay home.
    Last edited by Biged781; 2013-09-02 at 06:36 AM.

Give me 1 good reason why I should tip? Do I get a tip everytime I help a customer in IT? Nop, why? Because I am doing the job I am hired for! And the job I am getting paid for. Just like the waiter, cook whatever. So why should they get a tip? What's next, tip everyone that ever does their job? We already do, it's what you get per hour.

People who post that are pretty much saying "ermahgerd, give meh free muniez!"

You are so uninformed that it's actually somewhat repulsive.

The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13, and tips are taxed just like regular income.

Learn your shit before you talk out of your ass.
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

2.13 an hour
    So? Shouldn't have slacked at school and expected people to sustain your livelihood by tips. Also, the actual wage is much higher than that in almost every state. Most waiters/waitresses get paid ~$10.00 per hour in California, for example.

If you can't afford a tip, you certainly can afford to eat out.

Regardless of how the United States handles it, tips are not mandatory, they're a reward for going above and beyond when dealing with customers. If I have to wait for my drink refills, or no-one is asking me how my meal is going, I'm less likely to tip.

Having recently went to Wagamamas and getting fantastic service, I left a tip. That is how it works. You do your job, you earn your wage, you go above the requirements of your job and make an effort, you'll earn a tip and your wage.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Propaganda? Not really, it's called reality. I've never worked a tip job, but my brother is a server, and they get paid I think 2.25 an hour. Which is roughly just enough to cover taxes, so they don't get a paycheck. No tips = no pay. If we moved away from a tip based system, employers would have to pay their employees a standard wage, lets say 10$ an hour. Thats roughly 4x what they're being paid now.
    My comment about wiping out the restaurant industry simply meant that if everyone stopped tipping, and servers and such weren't paid a decent wage, nobody would perform those jobs.
    It was about the "impending doubling of prices if proper salaries were paid" I was commenting on.

I checked the average dining prices and even taking in conversion between euro and US dollar our prices here in Finland are quite in same category regarding dinner yet our restaurants manage to turn in proper profit while paying waiters wages that actually support living.

Restaurants could easily afford to pay proper wages but they don't because they have this cop-out system called "mandatory tipping" where the blame is put on customer while they laugh their way to the bank.

And looking at the food prices and average tips people tend to boast in threads like this it seems you lot pay more per food than we.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-09-02 at 06:35 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Give me 1 good reason why I should tip? Do I get a tip everytime I help a customer in IT? Nop, why? Because I am doing the job I am hired for! And the job I am getting paid for. Just like the waiter, cook whatever. So why should they get a tip? What's next, tip everyone that ever does their job? We already do, it's what you get per hour.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    You are so uninformed that it's actually somewhat repulsive.

The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13, and tips are taxed just like regular income.

Learn your shit before you talk out of your ass.
    He implied that they were just paid $2.13 without tips when that is not the case. The employer is required to make up the difference until the actual minimum wage.

Read the source before you launch ad hominem attacks, zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Yes, with that logic you would completely wipe out the restaurant industry in the USA.
    i dont care

a tip is a tip and not a fee, it's not the customer's fault that somewhere along the line someone forgot the meaning of the word and made this mess because they couldn't just include it in the bill. you don't get paid to bitch about tips, you get paid to do your job. it should be a crime to complain about tipping.

its like ffs you go to a restaurant for the food, not for someone to bring you the food. but how many places have you gone to where you could refuse a waiter's service? waiters take their jobs for granted, anyone can do what they do, it's a miracle that people are willing to be bitched at by them and continue to act like they have broken legs, or they'd be out of a goddamn job and bitching about how they have no job at all.

You don't get tips in IT because the wages and salaries are adjusted under the assumption of not receiving tips. Whereas in North America service personnel are paid lower wages under the assumption that they will receive tips.

Pro tip: If tipping was considered customary for IT professionals, then you would probably get paid minimum wage, and you'd be crying about everybody who didn't tip you.

So? Shouldn't have slacked at school and expected people to sustain your livelihood by tips. Also, the actual wage is much higher than that in almost every state. Most waiters/waitresses get paid ~$10.00 per hour in California, for example.
    What if she is still going through education, and working a part time job to help fund it?

While I don't agree with her statement, the attitude towards Waiters / Waitresses in this tread is quite appalling. It may not be hard physical work, but it certainly isn't the lowest option, and is often filled with young people looking to save some cash for better and bigger things, such as a Car to then be able to travel to a higher paying job, or their education.

Can we all just get back to the point at hand, and stop abusing anyone who works in any form of Retail?

That's not at all what it's like, and you should feel dumb for saying that. Servers get paid 2.13 per hour because of the US tradition of tipping based on service. You're perfectly entitled to be an ass and knowingly shaft someone every time you go out to a restaurant, but if I were you, I wouldn't frequent the same restaurant more than 2-3 times with that attitude, because you aren't going to get shit for service.

Do you get paid 1/3 of the federal minimum wage, and any tipping you receive is taxed, and you are placed in a higher tax bracket under the assumption that you DO get those tips?

Oh. No? Congratufuckinglations, now you sound like a jackass.

If you don't want to tip wait staff, get their wages changed.

Wages in this country so screwed, there's likely no light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm grateful that I was privileged enough in life to never have to scrounge for tips. I sincerely feel sorry for those that do have to work such jobs.