Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    No, talking to their boss is going to help if they give you grief for not tipping like fucking with your food.
    If ya say so...

Pandaren Monk Silhouette of Seraphim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    If ya say so...
    Turns out bosses want customers, and don't want lawsuits or health violations that can shut them down.

Servers are infinitely replaceable.

You do the math.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I like the tip model!

It is better because you get to pay what you feel is appropriate for the service you receive, instead of a set amount. They do a bad job, you pay less, they do a great job, you can pay more.

I also like that is friendly to the poor who cannot afford to tip, but also can't afford the inflated menu prices a no tip system would create. Now I dont feel like the poor should regularly be showing up and not tipping, but for special occasions having the option is good.
    yeah, it´s awesome to have power over someone, if he displeases you, you can punish him, mwahahahahaaa
    secretly gay

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem;
    And, firearm violence is not always a firearm homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Turns out bosses want customers, and don't want lawsuits or health violations that can shut them down.

Servers are infinitely replaceable.

You do the math.
    Turns out bosses that run successful businesses don't just take a customer's word as gospel. I realize that in hypothetical internet forum scenarios everything black and white, but in reality, that's not how things work.

Turns out bosses that run successful businesses don't just take a customer's word as gospel. I realize that in hypothetical internet forum scenarios everything black and white, but in reality, that's not how things work.
    That may work for some places, but given sites like Yelp, widespread bad attitudes from management can obliterate a business.

Depends on where you live.
    Customer's complaints are usually taken very seriously here, and while they might not instantly cause troubles to the servers, you usually get compensated if you say something wasn't right with the food/service was bad.
    Servers are just too replaceable. It's not worth risking a bad reputation because of it.

That may work for some places, but given sites like Yelp, widespread bad attitudes from management can obliterate a business.
    If we're talking about general complaints then yea, that's true of all businesses. I was replying to Cattaclysmic's examples of "grief for not tipping" and "fucking with food". If you're going to approach a manager with that you better have proof beyond "I'm a customer and I say so".

If we're talking about general complaints then yea, that's true of all businesses. I was replying to Cattaclysmic's examples of "grief for not tipping" and "fucking with food". If you're going to approach a manager with that you better have proof beyond "I'm a customer and I say so".
    I still think most places (in my experience) would do anything to make people happy, even if it was a complaint like this. Bad news spreads like wild fire on the internet, all it takes is one bad review on Yelp to cost a business money.

I still think most places (in my experience) would do anything to make people happy, even if it was a complaint like this. Bad news spreads like wild fire on the internet, all it takes is one bad review on Yelp to cost a business money.
    It's probably more true of corporate places than independent ones. Corporate restaurants have pretty pathetic rules that don't generally favor employees.

On the other side, the owner of one of the independent restaurants I worked for threw people out of his restaurant once or twice for being rude to the servers and other employees. We had an open kitchen which allowed people to talk to the chef(he was the owner), so if customers bothered him with something,t hey had better be able to prove it.

which allowed people to talk to the chef(he was the owner), so if customers bothered him with something,t hey had better be able to prove it.
    In most cases where the owner is also the cook they don't take criticism to well.
    As far as proving it, if I don't like the way your food tastes that's my opinion and as a customer I am entitled to it there is nothing to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    In most cases where the owner is also the cook they don't take criticism to well.
    As far as proving it, if I don't like the way your food tastes that's my opinion and as a customer I am entitled to it there is nothing to prove.
    Sigh. I wish you'd read the discussions that were taking place before interjecting yourself. We're not talking about whether food "tastes good". We're talking about claiming food was fucked with, or that the server treated someone badly due to poor tipping.

Sigh. I wish you'd read the discussions that were taking place before interjecting yourself. We're not talking about whether food "tastes good". We're talking about claiming food was fucked with, or that the server treated someone badly due to poor tipping.
    So if I thought the person serving me was rude I have to prove it?

So if I thought the person serving me was rude I have to prove it?
    Again, "treated badly due to poor tipping". Those are the situations being discussed. I'd personally love to see an exchange in which a customer approached a manager/owner to claim they were being treated poorly because they don't tip.

Again, "treated badly due to poor tipping". Those are the situations being discussed. I'd personally love to see an exchange in which a customer approached a manager/owner to claim they were being treated poorly because they don't tip.
    How would you know if you were being treated "badly" from not tipping when you tip after the service is done?
    Unless you're referring to a repeat customer who always comes in and never tips, in that case I believe that person will not get the same service from most people.

This just further solidifies that notion that if you don't tip, you'll be treated poorly. So it's "give me a tip or else," which is what people have a problem with.

This just further solidifies that notion that if you don't tip, you'll be treated poorly. So it's "give me a tip or else," which is what people have a problem with.
    Well personally I don't go out to eat that much anymore.
    If I do I know the person serving me is pretty much working for my tip not their salary so much.
    I take that into consideration and as long as I feel they did their job (which is pretty much be around if I need something and to fill my drink before its empty) I will tip them and I expect to be doing this. However if I got bad service I wouldn't return. Oh and no tip.

I'm just curious, at what restaurants do you give a tip in advance? I mean, I don't understand how a server can treat a person poorly on the basis of that person not tipping...when you typically tip at the end of a meal? Maybe if the person before them didn't. But then that's just a server taking out their issues on others.
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'm just curious, at what restaurants do you give a tip in advance? I mean, I don't understand how a server can treat a person poorly on the basis of that person not tipping...when you typically tip at the end of a meal? Maybe if the person before them didn't. But then that's just a server taking out their issues on others.
    We're talking about servers deliberately providing poor service to people who have stiffed them in the past on tips. Part of the "tips - to insure proper service" thing.

Well, a tiny minority of people seem to have a problem with it, as the overwhelming majority tip according to the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

How would you know if you were being treated "badly" from not tipping when you tip after the service is done?
    Unless you're referring to a repeat customer who always comes in and never tips, in that case I believe that person will not get the same service from most people.
    Repeat customer is the assumption we have been working under.

We're talking about servers deliberately providing poor service to people who have stiffed them in the past on tips. Part of the "tips - to insure proper service" thing.
    If that's the case, why would you continue to go to that establishment?
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.