Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    As I already said, noone in Italy uses "moolie", or the italian word for moolie, to describe black people. That's an Italian-american slang we don't use here. Nowhere.
    So he's inventing stories and using "facts"? Awesome

Also, given the line: The entire restaurant within earshot/line of sight became immediately hostile towards us as a result of this, and we again had to leave.

So ten entire restaurant could see there was a black guy there, but it wasn't until it was pointed out that they became hostile? Suuuuuure.

I have encountered racist europeans... americans...japanese..chinese..the list continues.. i do not say ALL of them are racists cause of a few jackasses..

Now if you go to certain countries it will be more common, such as if you go to Japan and you are a black guy, you will not be looked at by large chunks of the population as the same as a japanese guy.. a lot of the older people still have personal stigma's against blacks. But dont feel bad, the younger generations dont for the most part have those fucked up views.

Now go to the Philippines and a black personal would most likely be teased / admired on an equal level, a white person is seen as an ATM until proven otherwise..that is not everyone in the country but a large enough percent that you expect it to happen.

Countries like Sweden, yeah racism is infrequent. Same with most of western europe, and parts of the USA. Now the whole "America dont have shit like that"...you are joking right? Go to Biloxi, Mississippi and see how equal things are... or how bout a small town in Alabama, Georgia (they recently just had a school throw their first ever interracial prom)...saying racism is not that bad in america is just ignorance to the 10th degree...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure that the rest of Europe is not the same as a small racist group you encountered in sweden.
    "The Xbox one sucks and the PS4 isn't as Ready as my Body" - Reggie Fils-Aime

My Friend Code is 1864 - 9258 - 8679 PM me if you add me so I can add you back!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    I am curious to understand what your group of 4 looked like. Aparently there was something about your group intimidating to common people.
    I'm 5' 11", and the others are all around 6', +/- ~1.5".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GalacticFloesx View Post
    [...]
    As for smiling, that's something that I find very interesting. Smiling is not good in many east asian countries, such as Korea, and it's not encouraged in places like Germany either, but I guess it varies wildly depending on local culture.
    Sorry, how is smiling at people discouraged in Germany? I have never heard of that? Well, you learn something new about your own country every day I guess. Thanks, internet.

That a restaurant owner of a multicultural city like Frankfurt/Main where a lot of restaurants are actually owned by people with immigration background was actually threatening his own guests to leave or call the BPOL(!) is actually hardcore enough to make the headlines here. So colour me skeptical about the story, let's contrast it with a story of my own how I went on sightseeing with my Greek and Dutch friends in Leipzig, Halle and Munich and were actually surprised about how much of the negative stories about the East were not quite as correct. An anecdotal experience for an anecdotal experience.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-09-02 at 09:52 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Is this the norm for Europe? It feels as though it is, at least relative to North America.
    I've not been to the US, so I can't compare. But I can tell you that in The Netherlands there is little discrimination (at least purely based on race, there is some bias against certain groups of foreigners) and if you behaved appropriately as you said I can't imagine that you'd have had any problems here.

Lastly, EUROPE ISN'T ONE COUNTRY WITH ONE CULTURE. This also applies to continental Europe! Please stop generalizing all these very different cultures as one. Discrimination/Racism is generally formed due to social context within a culture, considering all the different cultures in Europe you can't just say 'Europeans hate XX'

However, I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience.

Deleted
    Why isnt this thread locked again and that guy warned?!?! Its like, he keeps posting crap like this that leads to country bashing! EVERY TIME!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belph View Post
    (they recently just had a school throw their first ever interracial prom)
    That reminds me, if America is so none racist, how did the Cheerios advert make so much commotion about an inter racial family?

We have adverts like that in the UK and don't bat an eyelid.

the guy mentions asian arab... there is no such thing. Either you are asian or an arab.

Arabs come from the arabic peninsula and they spread over 1300 years ago accross much of North Africa and spain.

I have never been to sweden. I am a brown guy. I might look arab to some yet I am a christian. I have experienced racism but I doubt there is anything like you describe in Sweden.

One such incident was when we entered a restaurant in Frankfurt, Germany, and while we were mostly keeping to ourselves (we're not obnoxious/loud or anything like that at all), our mere existence in that location appeared to have caused a problem. There were two couples dining together at a table, and as soon as we sat down adjacent to them, they complained to one of the restaurant's employees, and we were promptly forced to leave or be reported to the Bundespolizei. The reason? Apparently, two of my friends (he singled out the black one and the arab one) were appearing threatening to the other couple.
    I call this bullshit. I live in germany, and there is only one way to get thrown out of an restaurant : If you are loud or obnoxious.

I'm 5' 11", and the others are all around 6', +/- ~1.5".

are those measurements of some sort ?
    it's like 5 pineaples and 11 apricots or something use measurement units please like the world uses.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    the guy mentions asian arab... there is no such thing. Either you are asian or an arab.

Arabs come from the arabic peninsula and they spread over 1300 years ago accross much of North Africa and spain.

I have never been to sweden. I am a brown guy. I might look arab to some yet I am a christian. I have experienced racism but I doubt there is anything like you describe in Sweden.

The Middle East is a subcontinent of greater Asia, so someone can be construed as an "Asian Arab" just as a matter of taxonomical consistency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    are those measurements of some sort ?
    ' = feet
    " = inches
    +/- = uncertainty
    ~ = approximately

Imperial (American) metrics.

Racists exist everywhere...do not expect a place (or country) that has no racists people

What you can do is....learn to ignore such racism towards you or your friends. You will only satisfy them by even paying them attention.
    Also, don't judge the country (or continent) because you encountered a single or a few racists. If you do, you will only have bad experiences of them.

If a racist guy making comments or taunting you....just ignore them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    It's time to lock this thread. With all the cross-continent bashing and pissing contests, a proper civilized discussion can't be had.

Closing.