Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Varian was supposed to become this badass Conan the Barbarian King kinda character... but people seemed not to like it.

    I think the Night Elves might start throwing a fit soon though after a 'High King' is crowned. Tyrande is finally acting like her old WC3 self again and seems pretty 'racist' towards humans.


    Overall though the Alliance playerbase doesn't seem to appreciate 'badass' characters. I think, due to WoW, many alliance players have started to see the Alliance as some kind of peaceful, do-no-evil, noble faction. So anything that isn't a priest, paladin or nice girl isn't going to be well received.
    Sure we do. Imagine my disappointment when I thought I was rolling a badass character like this:



    But instead, got this:


  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Varian was supposed to become this badass Conan the Barbarian King kinda character... but people seemed not to like it.

    I think the Night Elves might start throwing a fit soon though after a 'High King' is crowned. Tyrande is finally acting like her old WC3 self again and seems pretty 'racist' towards humans.


    Overall though the Alliance playerbase doesn't seem to appreciate 'badass' characters. I think, due to WoW, many alliance players have started to see the Alliance as some kind of peaceful, do-no-evil, noble faction. So anything that isn't a priest, paladin or nice girl isn't going to be well received.
    The game is called World of Warcraft. I say ignore what people "appreciate" for the sake of the game's name.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Varian was supposed to become this badass Conan the Barbarian King kinda character... but people seemed not to like it.

    I think the Night Elves might start throwing a fit soon though after a 'High King' is crowned. Tyrande is finally acting like her old WC3 self again and seems pretty 'racist' towards humans.


    Overall though the Alliance playerbase doesn't seem to appreciate 'badass' characters. I think, due to WoW, many alliance players have started to see the Alliance as some kind of peaceful, do-no-evil, noble faction. So anything that isn't a priest, paladin or nice girl isn't going to be well received.
    I can't speak for others, but I didn't care for Varian because he was very exactly Conan, but without any of the backstory that makes Conan a good character. Conan wasn't an epic all powerful Cimerian, he was a normal Cimerian who came to civilization where everyone was made weak and stupid by living soft lives. Whenever he boasts it isn't personal, but for his entire race of people. Conan is more like a Vrykul who wandered down to Stormwind but couldn't be rousted due to cunning and strength where as Varian was a king who had a training montage in a comic book.

  4. #184
    Mechagnome Bad Ashe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep inside the power core.
    Posts
    581
    Alliance has already had the most badass can-of-whoopass-carrying character since BC...

    i love Millhouse

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    Alliance has already had the most badass can-of-whoopass-carrying character since BC...

    i love Millhouse
    And - again - just because it's an alliance race doesn't make it an alliance character.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    And - again - just because it's an alliance race doesn't make it an alliance character.
    People seem to be incapable of differentiating the two. Like they keep saying "Bring Illidan back to the Alliance!"

  7. #187
    Elemental Lord Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Didn't they try that with Varian at first and everyone bitched about it?
    Turalyon would be a good foil for "do right" Varian.


    Anyway, it's worth noting that Blizzard said in an interview that came out right around the time that MoP came out that Turalyon and Alleria would be showing up in the expansion after it.

    They'd have to do a pretty massive "change of plans" to somehow "nudge" two extremely lore-important characters out of the flow of things, especially because we know that Blizzard works on multiple expansions at once.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  8. #188
    Pit Lord Cyrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US Eonar
    Posts
    2,438
    Make a gnome bad ass - give him a mecha. Simple.

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Tyrande can fill the role fine if she didn't have male chauvinists writing her character during major developmental scenes. Shandris is always badass.
    THIS, a hundred times. What was once a fury of the nature incarnate, became:

    stage [a]: a forgettable N-elven priestess with a catchy name (this is the impression I got from WoW while having virtually no knowledge about Warcraft games beforehand)

    stage [b]: a zero-lore zero-interaction raidable N-elven priestess with a unique model

    stage [c]: a clearly lobotomized, with incompetence rivaling that of Spearmarshall Kormir herself [sans the personality and badass-ness!], barely present arm-candy of her OMG!-divinely powerful! man-god of a husbando.

    WHY

    Why Therazane and Magatha Grimtotem have to be the only well-written female characters in WoW's universe? ? ?

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Sure we do. Imagine my disappointment when I thought I was rolling a badass character like this:



    But instead, got this:

    I have played horde since beginning and mostly consider alliance a boring goody two-shoes faction but even i am pissed of the portrayal of Night elfs.

    When i first encountered nelfs back in wc3 i was amazed. Blizz had really set a new base for how elves can be described. Elves have usually been depicted as pale skinned and lean bodied and shorter than humans. But night elves on the other hand, muscular, taller than humans, somewhat barbaric.

    These guys should be the badasses of alliance. Thousands of years old warrior race. Instead they ended up being humans bitches.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyathon View Post
    I have played horde since beginning and mostly consider alliance a boring goody two-shoes faction but even i am pissed of the portrayal of Night elfs.

    When i first encountered nelfs back in wc3 i was amazed. Blizz had really set a new base for how elves can be described. Elves have usually been depicted as pale skinned and lean bodied and shorter than humans. But night elves on the other hand, muscular, taller than humans, somewhat barbaric.

    These guys should be the badasses of alliance. Thousands of years old warrior race. Instead they ended up being humans bitches.
    Despite five attempts, I have NEVER managed to level a N-elf character past level 10 and only two attempts ended up at that tenth level- -a testimony to how much of a mind-numbingly BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING of a playable race N-elves were/are, with questing equally as boring.

    When I finally learned that they once were depicted as a race of vitriolic, xenophobic beings of utmost ferocity and disdain for Azeroth's younger races, I was disappointed that ALL of this was scrapped in favour of having generic tree-dwelling faes with bows and staves. Blizzard has managed to create their own unique version of an elf without the burden of all the common denominations of this fantasy race. And then they destroyed their own concept to replace it with one that is so boring that it drives their own writers away from it.

  12. #192
    I was excited to see Jaina be the alliance 'Badass character" once they announced theramore was going to get blown up, but then she went IMMEDIATELY back to her idealistic, neutral ways. I honestly don't know what to expect fomr her character at this point, and i don't mean that in a good way. she has 180'd three times since MoP, and as easily as she calmed down after watching Theramore being erased from all existence, she could easily do it again after SoO. If they try to make her into a badass now, i don't think it'd stick simply because we can't trust her character development.

    People I'd love to see as an alliance badass, however:
    -Darius Crowley
    -Shandris Feathermoon
    -Bolvar Motherfuckin' Fordragon (why did they have to waste such a cool character? WHY!?)

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyathon View Post
    I have played horde since beginning and mostly consider alliance a boring goody two-shoes faction but even i am pissed of the portrayal of Night elfs.

    When i first encountered nelfs back in wc3 i was amazed. Blizz had really set a new base for how elves can be described. Elves have usually been depicted as pale skinned and lean bodied and shorter than humans. But night elves on the other hand, muscular, taller than humans, somewhat barbaric.

    These guys should be the badasses of alliance. Thousands of years old warrior race. Instead they ended up being humans bitches.
    This is the thing though, in the books, NElves are still badasses. They just fail absolutely horribly at bringing that into the game, they just can't seem to get past the whole daisy eating-tree hugging stereotype. I don't even know how it's possible the create that disconnect, but somehow they manage it. I can only imagine they write the books for the fans but keep in game to the normal stereotype so as not to confuse people or something.

    As for Alliance badasses, Varian's chin will eclipse everyone else too much to allow them to show how badass they are, but yeah Sky Admiral Rodgers is cool. Jaina could have been, but they seem to have become scared to change her too much and tempered her uh, temper somewhat.

    What the Alliance really need is a notable Warlock. Again, we read about them in the books, but they're the one class that's conspicuously absent from Alliance frontlines.

  14. #194
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine de Coolette View Post
    Despite five attempts, I have NEVER managed to level a N-elf character past level 10 and only two attempts ended up at that tenth level- -a testimony to how much of a mind-numbingly BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING of a playable race N-elves were/are, with questing equally as boring.

    When I finally learned that they once were depicted as a race of vitriolic, xenophobic beings of utmost ferocity and disdain for Azeroth's younger races, I was disappointed that ALL of this was scrapped in favour of having generic tree-dwelling faes with bows and staves. Blizzard has managed to create their own unique version of an elf without the burden of all the common denominations of this fantasy race. And then they destroyed their own concept to replace it with one that is so boring that it drives their own writers away from it.
    While most of my high level characters are night elves, I do agree. This is why I loved the new Darkshore, getting to kill every troll reminded me of those old night elves, the Warcraft 3 night elves. And then in Feralas gathering all the former allies and fighting Cho'gall again reminded me of that. This is why, from the new Cataclysm leveling zones, I loved those the most.

    But most of those old night elves are gone. We sometimes see a spark appear, like these 2 zones and Thisalee Crow (which, funny enough, is neutral) and now Tyrande in SoO by the looks of it, but these are rare and more often we see night elves being portrayed more like wood elves with arcane magic too these days, which is kind of lame.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    If Alleria returns she'll be the biggest badass the Alliance ever had. She was an extremist anti-Horde, and when she returns to find her sister (Sylvanas) part of the Horde and her entire people (High Elves of Quel'Thalas) turned Horde, she'll turn batshit crazy and annihilate them all. She hasn't seen her homeland since Warcraft 2, imagine returning to find the shit that she's going to find.

    At least that's what would happen if Metzen hadn't become the total pussy he is today.
    It seems that there are still people with sanity around here ...

    However I bet $ 1,000 to that Turalyon will be a neutral hero as Tirion and Alleria will be a heroine of the Horde as her sister Sylvanas (or at least a neutral heroine) ...

    Metzen should have some trauma with respect to the Alliance ...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •