15+ Year Old Account

Do I need this or not

I recently bought a new PC and it was broken when I got it so I'm returning the entire PC.

I was told I don't need an anti-static bag to cover the PC when I send it to them. (Mail service.)

I'm just double-checking. Is this true?

Deleted
    Return it the way you got it, they can't expect more than that.

Save the message that told you that you don't need it, and then just send it. If they complain leter, you got proof that they said it was not needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Save the message that told you that you don't need it, and then just send it. If they complain leter, you got proof that they said it was not needed.
    Over the phone.

Does the cabinet protect from static electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Over the phone.

Well it should protect it. And a turned off computer is not really affected by static electricity at all...

But just put it in whatever packaging you recieved it in.

Deleted
    Over the phone.

Like I said if they feel however they sent it to you is enough just return it the same way, they can't expect more than that.

Deleted
    Since most computer cases are at least somewhat conductive they will keep static fields on the outside, so no extra protection is necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Well it should protect it. And a turned off computer is not really affected by static electricity at all....
    Static bags protect more than just 'static'. Even a turned off computer can be affected by outside forces of energy. It's rare, but it's happened.

One of our vendors had a power line transformer explode while their shipping truck was driving past. It killed about 2500 various parts in the process. Some stuff that was shielded, too, but less so.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Static bags protect more than just 'static'. Even a turned off computer can be affected by outside forces of energy. It's rare, but it's happened.

One of our vendors had a power line transformer explode while their shipping truck was driving past. It killed about 2500 various parts in the process. Some stuff that was shielded, too, but less so.
    Not only this.
    ESD (Electro Static Discharge) could also happen really. I mean people handling the package could have a charge or the slightest thing. It is incredibly unlikely but possible.

Still i don't see a reason if they told you you didn't need a bag that you go out of your way to get a bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    ESD (Electro Static Discharge) could also happen really. I mean people handling the package could have a charge or the slightest thing. It is incredibly unlikely but possible.
    Even if that happened through the cardboard it would not cause any damage to the electronics inside as they are shielded by the computer case - no need to put an extra conductive layer around an already conductive case.

Also an anti-static bag would not really help you in a massive EMP case either (like that exploding power line transformer scenario)
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2013-09-03 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Even if that happened through the cardboard it would not cause any damage to the electronics inside as they are shielded by the computer case - no need to put an extra conductive layer around an already conductive case.
    I completely agree.. it is basically impossible but who knows. Stranger things have happened in this world.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?