Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Is the WoW name "Gary" offensive to you?

    Hi there,

    Recently I have managed to obtain the name Gary on the server EU Sylvanas. And today I found out it was flagged for rename. I have no idea why but after a bit of research I have came to the conclusion it can only be because it was "offensive" to someone... I have made a ticket and am confused, so...

    Is the name "Gary" offensive to you?

    Thanks

    Daniel
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  2. #2
    Warchief Klaxxar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,184
    I have a Uncle named Gary. LOL...
    PM me for my Friend Code, Battletag, ETC...

  3. #3
    Probably someone wanting their alts name restored after they found out that another person claimed it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaxxar View Post
    I have a Uncle named Gary. LOL...
    It was Gary the dwarf shaman...

    RIP - Gary Jenkins.
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  5. #5
    Well, in Japanese, it means diarrhea.

    "Geri." Look it up.

    :P

    (Honestly, no. What Sengiratolom said.)

  6. #6
    Some guy called Gary once whispered something inaudible with his back turned, which I can only assume was an insult directed at me, and I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to make me re-live that memory by using his name.

    I consider this not only a personal attack on me but, by extension, an affront to all those who've been emotionally traumatized by a Gary.


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Noin View Post
    Well, in Japanese, it means diarrhea.

    "Geri." Look it up.

    :P

    (Honestly, no. What Sengiratolom said.)
    But if I obtained the name because that character was inactive... Why do they take priority over me? My Shaman name now SUCKS because of this
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  8. #8
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,155
    It's a completly normal name 0o I don't know why anyone would be offended by that 0o Possibly a gm abusing his powers? 0o

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengiratolom View Post
    Probably someone wanting their alts name restored after they found out that another person claimed it.

    afaik blizzard doesn't change someones character name that is on an active account.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Some guy called Gary once said something inaudible with his back turned, which I can only assume was an insult directed at me, and I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to make me re-live that memory by using his name.

    I consider this not only a personal attack on me but, by extension, an affront to all those who've been emotionally traumatized by a Gary.
    I can only apologise for my offensive name, I hope you are okay.
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  11. #11
    Of course it's not offensive.

    However, is Sylvanas an RP realm? If so, perhaps they thought the name wasn't RP enough.

    (OT: When I played Magic the Gathering Online, my friend Mick was most dismayed to find out that his name was banned! Although Jock *wasn't* banned. meh)

    [EDIT: I checked; Sylvanas is not an RP realm. So there's no reason for you to have change the name as far as I can see.]

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Blademaster IAmBizMarkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Stratholme
    Posts
    36
    I'm offended that you even asked. Ga... I can't even type the name... is the reason I don't watch Spongebob. Sickening...

  14. #14
    Unless someone got a chip on their shoulder for the idea of killing Gary [Gygax] I don't see what's the issue. (only reason I can think of being against the name unless they don't like normal people sounding names over "lotsadots" or "deathguy")

    Also you can't name a pet Khan. =/ I'm still not entirely sure why...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Of course it's not offensive.

    However, is Sylvanas an RP realm? If so, perhaps they thought the name wasn't RP enough.

    (OT: When I played Magic the Gathering Online, my friend Mick was most dismayed to find out that his name was banned! Although Jock *wasn't* banned. meh)
    Nope, Sylvanas is a PVP (urgh) realm!

    PS - I only play on a PVP server cause of PVP friends -_-
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  16. #16
    Weirdly enough some actual names seem to flag "mature language" in wow. i encourage anyone to try and make a char named Aryana if u dont believe me :P

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshiren View Post
    Hi there,

    Recently I have managed to obtain the name Gary on the server EU Sylvanas. And today I found out it was flagged for rename. I have no idea why but after a bit of research I have came to the conclusion it can only be because it was "offensive" to someone... I have made a ticket and am confused, so...

    Is the name "Gary" offensive to you?

    Thanks

    Daniel
    Write a ticket. Its very common with a bug that flags random names for rename. Just write a ticket about it and they will fix it!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshiren View Post
    I can only apologise for my offensive name, I hope you are okay.
    I may recover, in time. Although, monetary compensation may speed up the recovery. 4000g to be precise, in unmarked gold coins.

    Bring it to the lil' space beneath the bridge in Redridge on Thursday, 1:15am. A lady will be waiting for you there. Tell her "Rhinos dance in the sunset". She'll know what it means.


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I may recover, in time. Although, monetary compensation may speed up the recovery. 4000g to be precise, in unmarked gold coins.

    Bring it to the lil' space beneath the bridge in Redridge on Thursday, 1:15am. A lady will be waiting for you there. Tell her "Rhinos dance in the sunset". She'll know what it means.
    Rhinos dance in the sunset sounds like a very bad teen bang song...
    Takeshiren - Ret Pally - EU Sylvanas

  20. #20
    So basically you have no evidence that it is because it is offensive yet you decided to make a thread about it based on nothing but your own assumptions?

    You are jumping the gun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •