1. #1

    How long is the average arena match?

    I know 2v2 fairly well. (and how a healer can impact the average time)
    But as for 3v3 and 5v5, what is the average length of a match?

    I've heard anything from 1 minute for a 5v5 to 10 minutes for a 3v3, but would love to hear the observations of people who pay attention to this sort of thing AND who also have a good sense of time.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,001
    Depends on the rating you play at, the composition you play, and the composition of the opposing team.

    5s probably last 1.5 minutes, it's really...crazy. I've never played one with a real strategy though.

    In 3s with 2 DPS and a healer vs. the same I'd say average is 4-5 minutes.

  3. #3
    One of the devs (Holinka I think) posted recently that 90% of matches were less that 5 minutes, or something like that. Search his twitter history if you want to find the specifics.

  4. #4
    3v3 is usually 3-10 minutes, depends on the comp you run and what you fight. It could take longer, obviously, and it could finish faster. If you run three burst DPS it's gonna be 1 minute games, win or lose, it'll happen fast. In any real setup though it usually takes about 5 minutes for a good game.

    5v5 varies a lot because of the comp setups. If you do 2 healers 3 DPS it can be 5 minute games, if you do 1 healer 4 DPS it's usually about 2 minutes, or faster. 5v5 is hard to judge because there's very few people who take it seriously at all. It's incredibly unbalanced and usually just a clusterfuck.

  5. #5
    My friend has a screenshot of a 2 hour arena match he was in.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    My friend has a screenshot of a 2 hour arena match he was in.
    They have had a cap since Wrath though and that is hardly average though so all around completely irrelevant.

    OT: They're probably 5-10 min the majority of the time in 3's

  7. #7
    Banned Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,635
    3-7 minutes is average for 1800-1900 brackets which is an average rating. Higher rating is usually on average longer but it depends on the comps being played.

  8. #8
    Thanks for the info!!
    Was generally curious, plus am evaluating a plan someone proposed to me of doing 200 matches of 5v5 in the 3 nights. I guess if the matches are short enough, but I also wonder about the queue times.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Depends on the rating you play at, the composition you play, and the composition of the opposing team.

    5s probably last 1.5 minutes, it's really...crazy. I've never played one with a real strategy though.

    In 3s with 2 DPS and a healer vs. the same I'd say average is 4-5 minutes.
    It's ironic that they continue to insist that 5v5 is more deserving than 2v2 of getting titles and whatnot. It's just as bad if not worse.

    But yeah, most matches of 3v3 will only be a few minutes, unless both teams have good healers (or bad healer killers.)

  10. #10
    Elemental Lord Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,001
    Quote Originally Posted by ImFeklhr View Post
    Thanks for the info!!
    Was generally curious, plus am evaluating a plan someone proposed to me of doing 200 matches of 5v5 in the 3 nights. I guess if the matches are short enough, but I also wonder about the queue times.
    When I played 5s queue times were 15 minutes average. Average being someone would complain the queue was broken after 15 mins and make us requeue, 9/10 times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •