Weird Evo 212 air pattern

Hello guys!

Few days ago, while I was playing dota 2, I heard noise from my computer. For the first time, my cooler was making a jet-engine sound. A bit dissapointed, I opened the case, and I discovered that the font fan was full of dust, the cooler itself is a bit dusty (and I didn't cleaned it yet) and the 212 evo fan was a bit dusty too

So I cleaned the major part of it, but this little 212 evo still sound like a jet-engine

So I noticed that the air that is blowed up by the fan doesn't go in the heatsink. No. It just avoid it. It goes on the side.

And that's kind of bad, because I don't think it cools how it is supposed to be, my average temp is 53 on my cores, it I think it should be a lil lower...

Is it the fan or its just the heatsink that is not very well built?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    So, just to be clear.

Back of case || <-|EVO|<-FAN || Front of case

And the fan is not blowing into the heatsink? That's.. what I'm getting out of this. There may be something blocking the air inside the cooler. I may take a look at mine a bit later to see if there might be a possible way to obstruct it easily. Do you have two fans on the heatsink (front push, back pull)?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So, just to be clear.

Back of case || <-|EVO|<-FAN || Front of case

And the fan is not blowing into the heatsink? That's.. what I'm getting out of this. There may be something blocking the air inside the cooler. I may take a look at mine a bit later to see if there might be a possible way to obstruct it easily. Do you have two fans on the heatsink (front push, back pull)?
    Yeah that's the right configuration

Its a single fan,

I know there is a bit of dust... but nothing to fully stop air....

When I put my hand behind the heatsink... almost nothing, but on the side of it, i feel a pretty intense airflow

The problem is that it's not cooling very efficiently...
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm.. I just peeked at mine and I can feel the airflow (though it isnt spinning fast atm). Maybe check to make sure there isn't a piece of paper or something in between the fan and cooler itself?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Take off the heatsink and basically look at it with a light behind it just to see if any obstructions. If not still get some compressed air and blow in the fins just to cram them... or else get those pipe cleaners at a craft store and go through the spaces. Other than that... just try another fan.

I had the same problem with my cnps12s with my 8350... then I cleaned it and got 42-44 degrees celcius on my cores on aida64 at 4.7ghz.
    Last edited by twinkfist; 2013-09-03 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Hrm.. I just peeked at mine and I can feel the airflow (though it isnt spinning fast atm). Maybe check to make sure there isn't a piece of paper or something in between the fan and cooler itself?
    =P

Im pretty sure, I replaced the fan twice in 2 days

I'll shoot some compressed air as soon as I can, but im pretty sure the low amount of dust I got is negligeble

Uploading a video, even with p95 running I feel no air

- - - Updated - - -

There you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNlxdHbviE

(this was while running p95, fan around 1500 rpm)
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-09-03 at 01:46 AM.
    My first build:

Can you lower your fan a bit on the evo 212?

Try flipping the fan the other way.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

True...but the paper should be moving a bit behind the cooler as it blows air through the cooler.

Try moving the fan to the other side and have it pull air through the heatsink instead and see if you can notice any airflow going into the heatsink from the other side. If still nothing, your gonna want to take it off and shine a light through it to make sure nothing got lodged in there that is blocking the airflow or grab another fan to have a push-pull going on to get some air going through that sucker.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Try moving the fan to the other side and have it pull air through the heatsink instead and see if you can notice any airflow going into the heatsink from the other side. If still nothing, your gonna want to take it off and shine a light through it to make sure nothing got lodged in there that is blocking the airflow or grab another fan to have a push-pull going on to get some air going through that sucker.
    Gonna use a compressed air can to clean the thing, and then I'll see if there is somethink else, but honestly I don't see anything that is capable of blocking the air this way
    My first build:

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Gonna use a compressed air can to clean the thing, and then I'll see if there is somethink else, but honestly I don't see anything that is capable of blocking the air this way
    Something could of got into the middle of the heatsink where you can't really see it or there could be some bent fins that block the airflow, either case would be fun trying to fix it/get it out of there so good luck.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    The air isn't just going to divert to the side without something blocking it.

I got a question on this, I also have a 212 EVO with the single fan it uses, my temps are pretty normal on both Idle and Load (20s-30s, 50s-60) but I kinda noticed mine too does not putt off much air, hardly felt any when I putt my hand to the end the air was getting blown out. this was when using P95 to kick the temps up so the fan kicks up in speed. Should this be any concern to me or need I not worry considering temps are fine?

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    I got a question on this, I also have a 212 EVO with the single fan it uses, my temps are pretty normal on both Idle and Load (20s-30s, 50s-60) but I kinda noticed mine too does not putt off much air, hardly felt any when I putt my hand to the end the air was getting blown out. this was when using P95 to kick the temps up so the fan kicks up in speed. Should this be any concern to me or need I not worry considering temps are fine?
    If you can feel air coming through, you should be fine.