Poll: Do you think I should go?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I go to the Conservative Political Action Conference this year?

The Conservative Political Action Conference is being held in my hometown hometown later this month. The convention only lasts a single day and costs $25 (for students), which I think is rather expensive. Several prominent conservative and libertarian politicians and grassroots leaders will be speaking there and the audience will consist of various right-wing activists and bloggers. Unfortunately, they won't have any non-American politicians like last year (Daniel Hannan!).

I already have a few friends who want to go with me and I do have the money, but the question is, should I spend $25 on a single day? I love politics and there will certainly be some interesting speakers there (Rand Paul, Wayne LaPierre, etc.), but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I have a job so that isn't the problem, the problem is that my work recently decided to cut everyone's hours, so I'm not sure what my next paycheck will be.

This is could be a once in a lifetime opportunity though and given that I am going into foreign relations, this could be my opportunity to build strong connections with other political activists and leaders. It is absolutely vital that I develop these connections as it certainly helps when it comes to getting involved with think tank, university research institutes and even the State Department. My career could benefit from this greatly.

What do you guys think should I go or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go if you aren't completely financially strapped. I in no way regret going to a Bush rally when i was 14 because it was fun. If you'll enjoy it and can afford it, do it because its a special thing, especially if it could help out your career in any way. network is key!

If you want to go, then by all means go. Wouldn't expect a torrent of popular opinion/feedback for what I assume are your Conservative/Right-of-Centre political convictions on MMO-Champion of all places, but if you're wanting to find a way into a political career then I imagine these conventions, or the people attending at least, would probably be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    If you want to go, then by all means go. Wouldn't expect a torrent of popular opinion/feedback for what I assume are your Conservative/Right-of-Centre political convictions on MMO-Champion of all places, but if you're wanting to find a way into a political career then I imagine these conventions, or the people attending at least, would probably be beneficial.
    MMO-Champ is pretty left-wing, sure. But I'd hope that people would be respectful, regardless of the other persons views. If a liberal posted a thread asking whether or not he should attend a Sierra Club meeting, I'd also hope that righties would encourage him, even if they disagree with the views of the poster and/or the Sierra Club. Perhaps I'm asking too much though...

Setting myself up for a career in this field is my primary goal right now. I think that should come before all else and I should have the $25, so you know what, I think I'll do it. Thanks, Crissi and Alenarien.

Given that the brand of conservatism that will participate in CPAC has an extremely paranoid, anti-international, at times isolationist foreign policy, the people you're meeting will in in way shape or form help your career. If anything, you'll be meeting individuals at the foreign policy fringe who have no effect on that policy, participate in none of the usual think tanks and do not publish in the field.

Or let me put it another way. This is the same Wayne Lapierre that campaigned against the United Nations Arms Trade treaty because of some nonsense Second Amendment bullshit that only crazies subscribed to.

Sales of Small Arms in conflict regions and unstable parts of the world have had an incredibly high human cost. It's been so ruinous it's turned the gun and its symbolism into a de facto object of worship that adorns flags. The "rule of the gun" in particular is the greatest enemy towards "the rule of law" in regions with little tradition of functioning civil society and democracy. All to often advocates of the latter are murdered or intimidated by advocates of the former. This treaty would be a first good step in a necessary goal: ending the international trade in small arms to individuals and brokers in unstable regions.

The Bi-Partisan American Foreign Policy Establishment pushed hard for this treaty. It will vastly enhance our national security, so the Pentagon is for it, mindful of the millions upon millions of illicit arms destroyed in Iraq and Afghanistan. But not Wayne Lapierre and his reading-challenged acolytes who heard "Arms Control" and could only think about blue helmeted oppressors seizing their pappy's shotgun.

In short, knowing who goes to those things, you'd be better spent spending it on Steam. I'm sure they'll have some sale goin on.

The point worth emphasizing again, beyond all what I wrote, is that if Foreign Policy, even with your conservative beliefs, is what you're interested in, the real foreign policy people you want to get in touch with don't go to CPAC. Do you think you'll see Condelleza Rice there? Or Colin Powell? Or Henry Kissinger? Or the Kagan clan? Or David Frum? Or Harvey Mansfield? To be frank... they're too smart for that joint and aren't remotely politically aligned in the slightest to who WILL be speaking at CPAC.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2013-09-03 at 03:00 AM.

This isn't really something anyone can answer but you, to be honest.

Would I go? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even go if it were free, sounds like an absurdly massive waste of a day. Doesn't sound at all fun, I could watch people talk on youtube while I do something on my other monitor.

But that's me. If it interests you then go if you want, but there's really no way for anyone else to tell you if you should or not.

Oh this thread is remarkably polite for a political one so I'll keep my "sure go there and suicide bomb it" comment to myself :P

I guess if you're into politics it'd be interesting enough to be worth the $25. Personally I'd probably find it boring. Well unless I got pissed off and heckled the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh this thread is remarkably polite for a political one so I'll keep my "sure go there and suicide bomb it" comment to myself :P

I guess if you're into politics it'd be interesting enough to be worth the $25. Personally I'd probably find it boring. Well unless I got pissed off and heckled the speakers.
    I strongly disagree with CPAC politics, but I understand it would be valuable to someone who leans that way politically, or at the very least be a memory you wont regret later.

It's a rather simple problem as I said above.

(Q) Are the people there movers and power brokers in foreign policy.

(A)
    -> If yes, attend.
    -> If no, do not attend.

The people who go to CPAC are not anywhere remotely within the same solar system, galaxy... whatever... as the Republican Foreign Policy establishment. This is due to the fact that Republican Foreign Policy is managed and jelously guarded by Establishment Republicans... the same ones the Tea Party pretenders of the Rand Paul mold spend hours every day taking a battle ax too. Establishment Republicans of the FP strike rarely, if ever attend CPAC because CPAC is not a serious policy forum. It's a grassroots conservative pep-rally.

If you want to rub arms with people who matter, look when the next meeting of the Atlantic Council is being held and go there. It's chair is Brent Scowcroft, who is an actual patriotic Republican, as opposed to the fraudulent stripe of the Tea Party crowd who will show up.

Send the money to a charity and actually do something good for the world with it instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I despise the conservative party in this country, I'd go if I were you. At the very least you'd get an experience. A chance to get further into your political party then you would just siting at home.
    Last edited by Templar 331; 2013-09-03 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It's a rather simple problem as I said above.

(Q) Are the people there movers and power brokers in foreign policy.

(A)
    -> If yes, attend.
    -> If no, do not attend.

The people who go to CPAC are not anywhere remotely within the same solar system, galaxy... whatever... as the Republican Foreign Policy establishment. This is due to the fact that Republican Foreign Policy is managed and jelously guarded by Establishment Republicans... the same ones the Tea Party pretenders of the Rand Paul mold spend hours every day taking a battle ax too. Establishment Republicans of the FP strike rarely, if ever attend CPAC because CPAC is not a serious policy forum. It's a grassroots conservative pep-rally.

If you want to rub arms with people who matter, look when the next meeting of the Atlantic Council is being held and go there. It's chair is Brent Scowcroft, who is an actual patriotic Republican, as opposed to the fraudulent stripe of the Tea Party crowd who will show up.
    Good point. Plus I could use the money for more important things, such as petrol and car repairs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted that you should go, then you can come on hear and make threads repeating all their talking points, before they hit fox news.
    JK JK
    I'd say for 25$ you should go, I mean especially if you're a conservative, why not, you'd get to see some speakers live, and it might be educational/entertaining.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No no dont go.

Dont go see those right wing bible humping women chaining gay hating facists.

Kidding aside, i wish I were you right now....

By all means go, it sounds pretty awesome from where i'm sitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Send the money to a charity and actually do something good for the world with it instead.
    25 dollars isn't going to make the world a better place unless he goes to Mexcio or something.

I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Great, friendly people, an electric atmosphere, and one of the most eloquent, incredible speeches I've ever seen (Dan Hannan - Brits, please elect this man to Westminster). Well worth the $$.

id go to see Rand Paul, possibly Ron Paul.

Plus more celebrities, and sarah palin is 10/10 GILF
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-09-03 at 08:07 AM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    id go to see Rand Paul, possibly Ron Paul.
    Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Justin Amash, Mike Lee. You know real Conservatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Good point. Plus I could use the money for more important things, such as petrol and car repairs.
    Wrong side of the pond, we call it gas here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I do not like the right side my self. But why pass up a cool event like this. Plus in my case (if I went) it would let me scout the competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Justin Amash, Mike Lee. You know real Conservatives.
    Nah. Pretenders to a name they do not deserve. They call themselves "Conservatives", but they are really profoundly anti-Government, which is not conservatism at all. It's a bastardarization of it. It's the comic book version of "conservative". Only in that sense, does that name apply.

The Real Republican party want's it's identity back from these pretenders.

Deleted
    well this is a first, im almost in complete agreement with what skroesec said, however even if the convention is filled with morons and nut-jobs id still go, just for the experience.
    (to clarify and too keep this civil, the corresponding democratic thing i would asses in almost the exact same way)