Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Sorry for that tldw but no words about connected realm in the developer round table 5.4?
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 10:10 AM.


    27y old. French buisness lawyer. Playing what my friends are playing. Destiny and Wod.

  2. #142
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Why is it so hard to understand? It's been stated multiple times how connected realms are being dealt with. Two US realms will be the first to test it (Bouldersomething and Bladebla), if it works out fine and issues are ironed out, other realm connections will be announced and rolled out bit by bit. This will happen gradually as they ramp up to the next expansion release.

    It was NEVER stated that connected realms would be implemented with 5.4 release, and they've been very informative on the status and what is happening when. Just read up. This isn't a feature u can just throw on live realms overnight, it has many many implicated problems that need to be dealt with on live and cannot really be tested in a PTR environment. This is why it will be slow-going.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand? It's been stated multiple times how connected realms are being dealt with. Two US realms will be the first to test it (Bouldersomething and Bladebla), if it works out fine and issues are ironed out, other realm connections will be announced and rolled out bit by bit. This will happen gradually as they ramp up to the next expansion release.

    It was NEVER stated that connected realms would be implemented with 5.4 release, and they've been very informative on the status and what is happening when. Just read up. This isn't a feature u can just throw on live realms overnight, it has many many implicated problems that need to be dealt with on live and cannot really be tested in a PTR environment. This is why it will be slow-going.
    Plz read the thread's name : "connected realm not on 5.4"

    It means i know it would not be implemented at 5.4. Do you get it ? Why do you keep saying i was thinking it ll come with 5.4? Learn to read issue here.

    Now read the following : " but when"? Wich mean im asking a question on the schedule. We know nothing except it ll come " some time after 5.4". And we know how blizzard deals with its "soon" and "some time"

    Im just asking for communication because we have no words on it. We basically had some communication on how it works the last month but nothing about a schedule. The two first realm have been connected 2 weeks ago and nothing since. This is really weird.

    You say it ll slowly be implemanted until next expansion!? Do you have any blue words that say it could take 6 month or so?

    So i can spread the information that it ll take more time than we though and maybe look at how things are going in 2-3 month?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 10:29 AM.


    27y old. French buisness lawyer. Playing what my friends are playing. Destiny and Wod.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand? It's been stated multiple times how connected realms are being dealt with. Two US realms will be the first to test it (Bouldersomething and Bladebla), if it works out fine and issues are ironed out, other realm connections will be announced and rolled out bit by bit. This will happen gradually as they ramp up to the next expansion release.

    It was NEVER stated that connected realms would be implemented with 5.4 release, and they've been very informative on the status and what is happening when. Just read up. This isn't a feature u can just throw on live realms overnight, it has many many implicated problems that need to be dealt with on live and cannot really be tested in a PTR environment. This is why it will be slow-going.
    I am sorry but no, Blizzard has had plenty of time to resolve this issue and has failed to do so. People on dead/dying servers have been dealing with a poor playing experience for a very long time. World of Warcraft sucks as a single player game and that's what many have been left with. People need to just unsub until Blizzard takes care of this, otherwise you can expect them to get slow walking this.

  5. #145
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Again I point to my response, which is merely a regurgitation of what blues stated many times - it is not something you can simply throw on live, due to it not being testable in a PTR setting. Which means the 2 US realms are currently serving as guinea pigs.

    I did not say it would be implemented in the next expansion, i said they would slowly roll them out AS WE APPROACH the next expansion. Now is the time to do it, last raid tier is out, activity will cool down gradually, and they can implement this slowly and prepare it to be working well for when the next expansion is released, which will surely bring another large influx of returning/new players as always.

    And Robert3620, you are welcome to go unsub if you are that unhappy, the fact of the matter is however that Blizzard is not sitting on their hands and it is not a low priority issue for them - it is just a very difficult task to adapt old technology to new methods/principles. They have been updating server technology throughout Cata and MoP and got it to a point where they can finally attempt this solution, without forcing players from one realm unto another.

    And Iseeyou - your opening post is full of doomsaying and whining about "false promises" - there were no promises made, which is what i'm referring to. You keep insinuating Blizzard had "promised" connected realms around 5.4, they never have. They have stated many times that they are beginning to implement it "sometime after 5.4" (sic!).

    Please use your common sense people, and if you don't know how complex this issue is to deal with, I suggest you take a look at some reading material on how these things work technically, and don't brand anything and everyone as "lazy".
    Last edited by miffy23; 2013-10-08 at 10:36 AM.

  6. #146
    Herald of the Titans starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    2,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    I am sorry but no, Blizzard has had plenty of time to resolve this issue and has failed to do so. People on dead/dying servers have been dealing with a poor playing experience for a very long time. World of Warcraft sucks as a single player game and that's what many have been left with. People need to just unsub until Blizzard takes care of this, otherwise you can expect them to get slow walking this.
    You unsub first go go
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post

    I did not say it would be implemented in the next expansion, i said they would slowly roll them out AS WE APPROACH the next expansion
    Once again could you please link any blue posts/videos whatever where we can clearly hear/read blizzard saying it could take months (ie until we approach next expension)?

    So i ll be able to communicate it to all the players on dead realms who think it ll come faster than that on other forums and official wow forum.

    Maybe i missed this important information indeed.

    Thank you very much
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 10:45 AM.


    27y old. French buisness lawyer. Playing what my friends are playing. Destiny and Wod.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Please use your common sense people, and if you don't know how complex this issue is to deal with, I suggest you take a look at some reading material on how these things work technically, and don't brand anything and everyone as "lazy".
    Connected realms are mergers in all but name and this is already been done at least three times on a larger scale in Korea, Taiwan and China prior to the two US realms being connected.

  9. #149
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Once again could you please link any blue posts/videos whatever where we can clearly hear/read blizzard saying it could take months (ie until we approach next expension)?

    So i ll be able to communicate it to all the players on dead realms who think it ll come faster than that on other forums and official wow forum.

    Maybe i missed this important information indeed.

    Thank you very much
    This was not stated explicitly as in "it will take months", rather it was stated that it will be implemented "as we go". You can assume by deduction that it will take quite some time to implement all the intended connected realms. On the other hand it could very well be that they throw all of them on live as soon as they'Re sure it's working flawlessly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Connected realms are mergers in all but name and this is already been done at least three times on a larger scale in Korea, Taiwan and China prior to the two US realms being connected.
    Connected realms are actually something quite different to merging servers, as you are not forced to change your name, your realm name does not change, and in fact you are NOT, by definition on the same realm, but rather phased unto the same playing field, which is something entirely.

    Link to Asian realms actually being connected realms as they are being implemented now on the US realms, and not in fact classical "merged" realms.

    Edit:

    "Update: In order to implement our first Connected Realms, Boulderfist and Bloodscalp will be taken down for an extended maintenance beginning Wednesday, September 25, at 3:00 a.m. PDT until approximately 11:00 a.m. PDT. During this time these realms will be unavailable for play. Additional realm connections are planned for the near future, and we'll be posting a full list at WorldofWarcraft.com as soon as we've finalized the details. " - Nethaera, from September 24th

    "Near future" in Blizzard terms always implies "the next 2-3 months". I'd say you can expect the next few Connected Realms going live within October, probably all of them being set up by December at the latest.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2013-10-08 at 11:00 AM.

  10. #150
    Would be cool if all realm are connected before November ends honestly.

    Not sure it ll happen tho.
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 11:28 AM.


    27y old. French buisness lawyer. Playing what my friends are playing. Destiny and Wod.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Connected realms are actually something quite different to merging servers, as you are not forced to change your name, your realm name does not change, and in fact you are NOT, by definition on the same realm, but rather phased unto the same playing field, which is something entirely.

    Link to Asian realms actually being connected realms as they are being implemented now on the US realms, and not in fact classical "merged" realms.
    Actually they are not. It would appear that your understanding of connected realms is not a fact, if we were to take how you think it works it would require two sets of servers to be running with two different databases, parts of which (like the auction house) would have to synchronised with each other. Or they could merge both databases add an extra field (the original server name) to preserve names and run it on one server. What do you think is easier and cheaper to implement and maintain?

  12. #152
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Actually they are not. It would appear that your understanding of connected realms is not a fact, if we were to take how you think it works it would require two sets of servers to be running with two different databases, parts of which (like the auction house) would have to synchronised with each other. Or they could merge both databases add an extra field (the original server name) to preserve names and run it on one server. What do you think is easier and cheaper to implement and maintain?
    What you just described is exactly what Connected Realms are?

    “Building on our existing cross-realm technology, a Connected Realm is a set of two or more standard realms that have been permanently and seamless ‘linked.’ These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm, meaning you’ll be able to join the same guilds, access a single Auction House, run the same Raids and Dungeons, and join other adventurers to complete quests.”
    http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/10551009

    I feel you've made up your own definition and just applied it over Blizzard's actual statement?
    "Behaving as if" and "linked" quite clearly differs in definition from "merged into one realm, but preserving your realm tags". What you propose is not, in fact, how Connected Realms work and is also the reason why it is taking longer, since they have NOT done this before.

  13. #153
    The Patient Aerialslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    323
    We already know what we need to know. They only thing we do not know are what realms are going to be connected. This is a big change and takes a lot of work to do. Settle down and enjoy the ride.
    Battletag: Aerialslayer#1331

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    What you just described is exactly what Connected Realms are?

    “Building on our existing cross-realm technology, a Connected Realm is a set of two or more standard realms that have been permanently and seamless ‘linked.’ These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm, meaning you’ll be able to join the same guilds, access a single Auction House, run the same Raids and Dungeons, and join other adventurers to complete quests.”
    http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/10551009

    I feel you've made up your own definition and just applied it over Blizzard's actual statement?
    "Behaving as if" and "linked" quite clearly differs in definition from "merged into one realm, but preserving your realm tags". What you propose is not, in fact, how Connected Realms work and is also the reason why it is taking longer, since they have NOT done this before.
    It is marketing speak nothing else.

    Realm mergers have a negative connotation amongst MMO players so they will want to avoid using the word merge and have instead decided to use the word linked. These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm because, guess what, they are now one cohesive realm. Your understanding of what is/will be happening is flawed. Why would they, as you claim to be a fact, spend time and money on developing a new and untried system to achieve what can already be done with existing systems that are not only proven to work with WOW but allow Blizzard to scale back the number of servers and thus save costs?

  15. #155
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,548
    People raging. Guess Blizzard wishes once more they would have been more vague / kept their mouths shut.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  16. #156
    Epic! Miuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People raging. Guess Blizzard wishes once more they would have been more vague / kept their mouths shut.
    Or perhaps they should not have highlighted it as a "low population saving" feature of the upcoming patch.

    At the end of the day they managed to get some people who would not have resubscribed any more to hang on to promises which were ultimately never delivered. Such is business.
    :: We are cows - proud and true. Come on Tauren - Moo Moo Moo!

  17. #157
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It is marketing speak nothing else.

    Realm mergers have a negative connotation amongst MMO players so they will want to avoid using the word merge and have instead decided to use the word linked. These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm because, guess what, they are now one cohesive realm. Your understanding of what is/will be happening is flawed. Why would they, as you claim to be a fact, spend time and money on developing a new and untried system to achieve what can already be done with existing systems that are not only proven to work with WOW but allow Blizzard to scale back the number of servers and thus save costs?
    You are not bringing forth any arguments to prove your case, you are merely basing your opinion on tinfoil hat assumptions. The fact of the matter is there is a pricetag on all these changes.

    I am merely reading the language used, and linked and especially "BEHAVE AS" does not imply an actual physical merge unto one server. It is a clear linguistic distinction. It would also explain the delay and the testing. If it were a simple matter of slapping realms together, they would have done it long ago, as they have admitted themselves (look it up yourself, too lazy to dig up more bluequotes).

    Realm mergers do not have a negative connotation at all for those players stuck on dead and low pop realms. In fact they've been clamoring for it. The reason they are using this language is because they are not in fact, classically merging realms. This is not "marketing lingo", there is no need to sell this. Whether it's a classical merge or their new concept of a connected realm, low pop realms being solved brings players back/attracts new players.

  18. #158
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. OP obviously doesn't understand that the feature is already rolled out, but they are only doing it on two realms currently. If you have to have it because of impatience, just server transfer to boulderfist or bloodscalp. Otherwise, chillaxe. Also, if you are having trouble forming groups, either use the in-game queuing system, or download oQueue addon for cross realm party forming.

  19. #159
    Herald of the Titans miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by thedingleberry View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. OP obviously doesn't understand that the feature is already rolled out, but they are only doing it on two realms currently. If you have to have it because of impatience, just server transfer to boulderfist or bloodscalp. Otherwise, chillaxe. Also, if you are having trouble forming groups, either use the in-game queuing system, or download oQueue addon for cross realm party forming.
    This, stated it many times before. OP and many others whining here clearly don't understand the feature or Blizzard's messages. And oQueue is excellent for anyone having those issues on their realms in the meantime.

  20. #160
    server transfers bring them literaly ton of $$$ so why hurry with merges ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •