Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again I point to my response, which is merely a regurgitation of what blues stated many times - it is not something you can simply throw on live, due to it not being testable in a PTR setting. Which means the 2 US realms are currently serving as guinea pigs.

I did not say it would be implemented in the next expansion, i said they would slowly roll them out AS WE APPROACH the next expansion. Now is the time to do it, last raid tier is out, activity will cool down gradually, and they can implement this slowly and prepare it to be working well for when the next expansion is released, which will surely bring another large influx of returning/new players as always.

And Robert3620, you are welcome to go unsub if you are that unhappy, the fact of the matter is however that Blizzard is not sitting on their hands and it is not a low priority issue for them - it is just a very difficult task to adapt old technology to new methods/principles. They have been updating server technology throughout Cata and MoP and got it to a point where they can finally attempt this solution, without forcing players from one realm unto another.

And Iseeyou - your opening post is full of doomsaying and whining about "false promises" - there were no promises made, which is what i'm referring to. You keep insinuating Blizzard had "promised" connected realms around 5.4, they never have. They have stated many times that they are beginning to implement it "sometime after 5.4" (sic!).

Please use your common sense people, and if you don't know how complex this issue is to deal with, I suggest you take a look at some reading material on how these things work technically, and don't brand anything and everyone as "lazy".
    Last edited by miffy23; 2013-10-08 at 10:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    I am sorry but no, Blizzard has had plenty of time to resolve this issue and has failed to do so. People on dead/dying servers have been dealing with a poor playing experience for a very long time. World of Warcraft sucks as a single player game and that's what many have been left with. People need to just unsub until Blizzard takes care of this, otherwise you can expect them to get slow walking this.
    You unsub first go go
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post

I did not say it would be implemented in the next expansion, i said they would slowly roll them out AS WE APPROACH the next expansion
    Once again could you please link any blue posts/videos whatever where we can clearly hear/read blizzard saying it could take months (ie until we approach next expension)?

So i ll be able to communicate it to all the players on dead realms who think it ll come faster than that on other forums and official wow forum.

Maybe i missed this important information indeed.

Thank you very much
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 10:45 AM.

Please use your common sense people, and if you don't know how complex this issue is to deal with, I suggest you take a look at some reading material on how these things work technically, and don't brand anything and everyone as "lazy".
    Connected realms are mergers in all but name and this is already been done at least three times on a larger scale in Korea, Taiwan and China prior to the two US realms being connected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Once again could you please link any blue posts/videos whatever where we can clearly hear/read blizzard saying it could take months (ie until we approach next expension)?

So i ll be able to communicate it to all the players on dead realms who think it ll come faster than that on other forums and official wow forum.

Maybe i missed this important information indeed.

Thank you very much
    This was not stated explicitly as in "it will take months", rather it was stated that it will be implemented "as we go". You can assume by deduction that it will take quite some time to implement all the intended connected realms. On the other hand it could very well be that they throw all of them on live as soon as they'Re sure it's working flawlessly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Connected realms are mergers in all but name and this is already been done at least three times on a larger scale in Korea, Taiwan and China prior to the two US realms being connected.
    Connected realms are actually something quite different to merging servers, as you are not forced to change your name, your realm name does not change, and in fact you are NOT, by definition on the same realm, but rather phased unto the same playing field, which is something entirely.

Link to Asian realms actually being connected realms as they are being implemented now on the US realms, and not in fact classical "merged" realms.

Edit:

"Update: In order to implement our first Connected Realms, Boulderfist and Bloodscalp will be taken down for an extended maintenance beginning Wednesday, September 25, at 3:00 a.m. PDT until approximately 11:00 a.m. PDT. During this time these realms will be unavailable for play. Additional realm connections are planned for the near future, and we'll be posting a full list at WorldofWarcraft.com as soon as we've finalized the details. " - Nethaera, from September 24th

"Near future" in Blizzard terms always implies "the next 2-3 months". I'd say you can expect the next few Connected Realms going live within October, probably all of them being set up by December at the latest.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2013-10-08 at 11:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be cool if all realm are connected before November ends honestly.

Not sure it ll happen tho.
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 11:28 AM.

Connected realms are actually something quite different to merging servers, as you are not forced to change your name, your realm name does not change, and in fact you are NOT, by definition on the same realm, but rather phased unto the same playing field, which is something entirely.

Link to Asian realms actually being connected realms as they are being implemented now on the US realms, and not in fact classical "merged" realms.
    Actually they are not. It would appear that your understanding of connected realms is not a fact, if we were to take how you think it works it would require two sets of servers to be running with two different databases, parts of which (like the auction house) would have to synchronised with each other. Or they could merge both databases add an extra field (the original server name) to preserve names and run it on one server. What do you think is easier and cheaper to implement and maintain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they are not. It would appear that your understanding of connected realms is not a fact, if we were to take how you think it works it would require two sets of servers to be running with two different databases, parts of which (like the auction house) would have to synchronised with each other. Or they could merge both databases add an extra field (the original server name) to preserve names and run it on one server. What do you think is easier and cheaper to implement and maintain?
    What you just described is exactly what Connected Realms are?

“Building on our existing cross-realm technology, a Connected Realm is a set of two or more standard realms that have been permanently and seamless ‘linked.’ These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm, meaning you’ll be able to join the same guilds, access a single Auction House, run the same Raids and Dungeons, and join other adventurers to complete quests.”
    http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/10551009

I feel you've made up your own definition and just applied it over Blizzard's actual statement?
    "Behaving as if" and "linked" quite clearly differs in definition from "merged into one realm, but preserving your realm tags". What you propose is not, in fact, how Connected Realms work and is also the reason why it is taking longer, since they have NOT done this before.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already know what we need to know. They only thing we do not know are what realms are going to be connected. This is a big change and takes a lot of work to do. Settle down and enjoy the ride.

What you just described is exactly what Connected Realms are?

“Building on our existing cross-realm technology, a Connected Realm is a set of two or more standard realms that have been permanently and seamless ‘linked.’ These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm, meaning you’ll be able to join the same guilds, access a single Auction House, run the same Raids and Dungeons, and join other adventurers to complete quests.”
    http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/10551009

I feel you've made up your own definition and just applied it over Blizzard's actual statement?
    "Behaving as if" and "linked" quite clearly differs in definition from "merged into one realm, but preserving your realm tags". What you propose is not, in fact, how Connected Realms work and is also the reason why it is taking longer, since they have NOT done this before.
    It is marketing speak nothing else.

Realm mergers have a negative connotation amongst MMO players so they will want to avoid using the word merge and have instead decided to use the word linked. These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm because, guess what, they are now one cohesive realm. Your understanding of what is/will be happening is flawed. Why would they, as you claim to be a fact, spend time and money on developing a new and untried system to achieve what can already be done with existing systems that are not only proven to work with WOW but allow Blizzard to scale back the number of servers and thus save costs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People raging. Guess Blizzard wishes once more they would have been more vague / kept their mouths shut.
    Or perhaps they should not have highlighted it as a "low population saving" feature of the upcoming patch.

At the end of the day they managed to get some people who would not have resubscribed any more to hang on to promises which were ultimately never delivered. Such is business.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is marketing speak nothing else.

Realm mergers have a negative connotation amongst MMO players so they will want to avoid using the word merge and have instead decided to use the word linked. These linked realms will behave as if they were one cohesive realm because, guess what, they are now one cohesive realm. Your understanding of what is/will be happening is flawed. Why would they, as you claim to be a fact, spend time and money on developing a new and untried system to achieve what can already be done with existing systems that are not only proven to work with WOW but allow Blizzard to scale back the number of servers and thus save costs?
    You are not bringing forth any arguments to prove your case, you are merely basing your opinion on tinfoil hat assumptions. The fact of the matter is there is a pricetag on all these changes.

I am merely reading the language used, and linked and especially "BEHAVE AS" does not imply an actual physical merge unto one server. It is a clear linguistic distinction. It would also explain the delay and the testing. If it were a simple matter of slapping realms together, they would have done it long ago, as they have admitted themselves (look it up yourself, too lazy to dig up more bluequotes).

Realm mergers do not have a negative connotation at all for those players stuck on dead and low pop realms. In fact they've been clamoring for it. The reason they are using this language is because they are not in fact, classically merging realms. This is not "marketing lingo", there is no need to sell this. Whether it's a classical merge or their new concept of a connected realm, low pop realms being solved brings players back/attracts new players.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. OP obviously doesn't understand that the feature is already rolled out, but they are only doing it on two realms currently. If you have to have it because of impatience, just server transfer to boulderfist or bloodscalp. Otherwise, chillaxe. Also, if you are having trouble forming groups, either use the in-game queuing system, or download oQueue addon for cross realm party forming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thedingleberry View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. OP obviously doesn't understand that the feature is already rolled out, but they are only doing it on two realms currently. If you have to have it because of impatience, just server transfer to boulderfist or bloodscalp. Otherwise, chillaxe. Also, if you are having trouble forming groups, either use the in-game queuing system, or download oQueue addon for cross realm party forming.
    This, stated it many times before. OP and many others whining here clearly don't understand the feature or Blizzard's messages. And oQueue is excellent for anyone having those issues on their realms in the meantime.

server transfers bring them literaly ton of $$$ so why hurry with merges ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Or perhaps they should not have highlighted it as a "low population saving" feature of the upcoming patch.

At the end of the day they managed to get some people who would not have resubscribed any more to hang on to promises which were ultimately never delivered. Such is business.

This.

Im really affraid the whole thing is just a brilliant communication to get players back (or stoping the unsubing hemorage).

Lots of players are waiting this feature for YEARS and maybe already resubed for it.

I think Blizzard cant tell much about a schedule because some realm ll def be connected in months and they are affraid to lose those new resubed players for ever.

Yeah you right mate actually it's just business.

Deleted
    This, stated it many times before. OP and many others whining here clearly don't understand the feature or Blizzard's messages. And oQueue is excellent for anyone having those issues on their realms in the meantime.
    They really should start handing out infractions for using the word whining, it's nothing short of just flaming people who don't share your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    CRZ bugs are still happening in game ...lets wait and make sure they got it right....I am tried of half attempts of doing something new like CRZ only to have it still buggy years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    They really should start handing out infractions for using the word whining, it's nothing short of just flaming people who don't share your opinion.
    Why? It is whining, nothing else? The information is clearly there and has been there for everyone to read openly. Yet some people in this thread refuse to acknowledge it and instead want to complain about Blizzard being "greedy" and throwing tinfoil hat theories into the thread. How is this anything but whining?

Furthermore, accusing someone of a certain behaviour does not automatically insult their person, depending on the behaviour. In this case i certainly don't consider it an insult, merely an observation in light of simple facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    server transfers bring them literaly ton of $$$ so why hurry with merges ?
    Ew.

Good point.

@MouseD : This is right. And this why i find very weird that blizz didnt even say 1 thing about the first connection between the 2 US realms that happened 2 weeks ago. A little something like " Everything is fine or OMG this a a fucking disaster we broke the shit ". This is weird and a really bad sign.
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-08 at 12:34 PM.