Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I used to own a Rhodesian Ridgeback a couple years ago now, they're a great breed. But if I were to get another, I have always wanted to get a Shar Pei, I'd post a pic but I'm new here so can't lol.

Deleted
    For the post above me, a Shar Pei

As for me....

A husky would be awesome, or this race:

I would love to have a dog, problem is, they stink
    Whole household will smell like dog. Unless there's an easy way to get rid of this problem I'd love one. But dog people always have their clothes smelling like dog. I hate that. I love dogs though, so sometime in the future I'll be getting one of these!
    Last edited by mmocde156a4a73; 2013-09-03 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeion View Post
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Golden_Retriever_standing_Tucker.jpg

That's the kind of dog I already have (Not a picture of mine though), but if I'm getting another in the future. It'll likely be either:

http://www.takequickbreak.com/wp-con...1-1024x768.jpg A husky or the wolfdog mentioned above
    http://www.royalcanin.ca/breedsdb/en...lfdog_0075.jpg
    When you post pics, you should pay attention to the size of the pic. Anything wider than 650 becomes a problem... It's better to just post the link and not use the img link...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Golden Retriever, Husky or something wolf-like. Not a fan of the "I hit my face in the wall"-breeds nor the rodent-like ones.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Things to keep in mind when deciding on a dog for a pet:

1) Do you own a house, or do you plan to own a house? If you're simply renting, many places in the US have some strict rules about which breeds they'll allow renters to keep on the property. Apartment complexes tend to prefer small dogs (25 lbs or less), and invariably have a list of certain breeds that mean a flat out denial (doberman, pitbull, german shepherd, etc .. not usually a big deal as it's usually breeds that are naturally over a pathetically low weight limit to begin with). I don't know what things are like elsewhere, but that was my first thought looking at the large shaggy beast in the first picture

2) Are either/both of you physically active on a very regular basis - not counting hanging at bars or flailing at clubs? Many breeds of dog require a decent amount of exercise. High energy animals that don't get enough exercise can often wind up exhibiting destructive behavior (not to be confused with aggressive - they may dig holes in your carpet, they may devour your furniture/clothing/their crate/their bed).

3) Will your living space provide enough room for the animal you choose to move around? Don't expect to cram a large dog into a small home/apartment that has amazingly lenient pet limitations. Will your living space have a yard or nearby open play area where your future dog will be able to move at more than a lazy trot?

I've a half White Shepherd, half Queensland Heeler mix. He's made finding apartments nigh impossible (his vet approved weight goal is 50, already over most apt limits), and confusion between German and White shepherds has led to some concern over even house rental approval. Dogs don't live forever, but they're not short lived either. Taking in a dog is a responsibility, and one that may limit some of your choices for (hopefully) at least a decade.

I'd lean toward a smaller dog, not purebred, as a suggestion as far as dogs go. They need less room, they eat less food, they leave less waste, there are fewer restrictions on them. Obviously there's a matter of personality - some small dogs are extremely high energy, but that's something you'll need to determine when you're looking at candidates. That said, I love both of my 50+ lb dogs to bits. Both are rescues, both shed like crazy, both warm my heart. I just wanted to point out some things that I'd never considered when I got my first, "Not living with my parents anymore" dog.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I already have my dream dogs right now.

But if I were to ever get any more, they would be one of these:
    Newfie

Saint

Burnese Mtn Dog

Tibetan Mastiff

Samoyed

I already have a siberian husky, golden retriever, golden/lab mix, and a chow/gsd mix. Can you tell I like my dogs huge?

10+ Year Old Account
    None. I fucking hate dogs.
    Aye mate

i want all the dogs
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Italian Greyhound (or whippet or standard greyhound depending on your home). Mine is below. Best temperament ever...not the brightest crayon in the box but trainable, friendly to everyone they meet and happy to sleep when they aren't out and about.

Tibetan Mastiff

That's a bear not a dog..seriously tho you could ride that thing

I have no respect for anyone who gets a Bulldog or a Pug.

Both are breeds that should not exist on their own and require human intervention to reproduce... and Pugs have serious genetic defects in their faces that leave them constantly leaking. Why would you do that to an animal?

Give me my fucking Doberman. And don't you dare crop its ears. Had I a say in the matter I wouldn't dock their tails either, but the docking is always done before they're even put up for sale/adoption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    That is a gorgeous fucking thing.
    I second this, that's one hell of a beautiful dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

Both are breeds that should not exist on their own and require human intervention to reproduce... and Pugs have serious genetic defects in their faces that leave them constantly leaking. Why would you do that to an animal?

Give me my fucking Doberman. And don't you dare crop its ears. Had I a say in the matter I wouldn't dock their tails either, but the docking is always done before they're even put up for sale/adoption.
    No breeds, as we think of them, would exist without humans carefully handling every aspect of their existence.

Most of them also have serious genetic defects as a result, they're just not always as obvious.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    No breeds, as we think of them, would exist without humans carefully handling every aspect of their existence.

Most of them also have serious genetic defects as a result, they're just not always as obvious.
    Not exactly. See, individuals of most breeds like Dobermans and Labradors would be able to reproduce, even if their breeding would be homogenized. Their traits would perpetuate for at least one or two generations.

Pugs and Bulldogs, on the other hand, would be gone in a single generation. They are physically incapable of reproducing.

As far as the genetics of breeding, the only notable one is predisposition to hip dysplasia in larger breeds. That, however, is more a result of their size than genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

I don't know about Dobies, but I do know that it seems docking the tails of Rotties has gone out of favor in Europe. Also, not sure about Boxers as well. Of course, that doesn't mean anything for America. I did have a Rottie puppy for about 2 days that still had his tail. Had to get rid of him ( ) as my other dogs didn't like him. But yeah, I agree. I would love to have a Dobie or Rottie with their tails intact. I just hope this thread doesn't derail into this discussion, as we already had a thread like that a while ago.

Also, @ Airwaves: Why the fuck would you reply to this thread then?

well, i couldn't decide if i wanted a rottie, a lab, or a husky.

so i got a mix of all three.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    well, i couldn't decide if i wanted a rottie, a lab, or a husky.

so i got a mix of all three.
    Best looking dog in this thread!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    I'm not too much into dogs (prefer cats by faaaaaaar!), but if I had a dog, it would be a Riesenschnauzer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you're thinking of getting a dog in the future, let me just chime in with this advice.

Figure out what you want, in terms of temperament, and go from there. Do you want a really active dog? Do you want a dog that's going to be lazy? One that's going to be protective of property? Do you need a dog that doesn't bark a lot? One that's going to be really good with kids?

Sure, you can shape behavior through training, but basing the decision on your lifestyle and expectations will work better than basing your decision on looks.

Just one man's opinion, take it with a grain of salt.