Poll: Would you rather have a 40 hour work week and maintain pay? Or work less for less?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So people are complaining about the work week and productivity and worker compensation and all sorts of stuff.

So I think the simplest question to ask amidst all this is:

"Would you rather work a 4 day work week and get paid 20% less, or maintain the status quo?"
    The current push for 4 day workweeks would still have everyone working at 40 hours a week. It would just be 10 hours, 4 days a week instead of 8 hours, 5 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    I would work 6 days a week (48 hours) for 20% more.

Deleted
    Well that would be your own fault now wouldn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I'd rather work 3 x 12's and have 4 days off.
    ive loved my 4 x 10s and always wanted to find a 3x12 but what about a 2x20?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Unless, of course, you have dependents.
    Which is, however, your own fault.

No thanks, I want more money and also right now I'm mostly bored during the weekends so.. :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Wow....Let me guess what your job is.... you travel across the world going to different children schools shouting "get a job you leeches!" through the school gates? Then you visit every animal shelter and buy all the sick an injured animals and then take them to the vets to be euthanized? And finally you stop by at the old peoples homes dressed as the grim reaper and proceed to chase elderly people around the home? 0o
    If this is an actual job, I WANT IT!

Can do without the pet part but would LOVE to do the last part

i would rather work 8am/6pm 4 days a week instead of 9am/5pm 5 days a week, it's still the same hours
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    See, the entire idea of work is mostly absurd. In the modern economy almost all "work" that is done is either inefficient or superfluous, but we have to keep inventing pointless jobs because otherwise we would feel uncomfortable with giving away free money (and thereby remove the need for people to work, which would make them stop working). As you can see the unemployment rate is going up everywhere and it will keep doing that because it is a natural consequence of our technological progress, where machines will gradually take over more and more of our tasks, and what work remains is greatly sped up.
    You can keep creating virtual work only for so long.

In addition, the notion of: "work now so I can do xxx later" is also absurd. It's far better to spread it out evenly and enjoy life as much as possible rather than wasting it to enrich someone else.

I think some of know what would happen, particularly for salaried employees:
    - pay gets cut & hours get cut. New workers hired
    - workers get cut, effective hours go back up, pay stays cut
    - CEO makes a bigger bonus

We get cuts in our IT dept whenever business gets bad, even though there is the same amount of work still to be done. So we just have to work more hours.

Absolutely not. I want as many hours as I can get.

More hours per day for fewer days > less hours per day for more days. As an example, at my current crappy job, I had two options:

1. Work 5 days a week, 6 hour shifts.

2. Work 2 days a week, 12 hour shifts, with a 10% per hour bonus.

Even though option 2 still makes less money, it was still the obvious choice for me. A day is already butchered if you have to work, so why not pack as much into that day as you can and have more days off? When the difference in my ability to live is minimal, my time is more important than my money.

Deleted
    Maybe, my working schedule is pretty funky right now.

My week starts at wednesday evening shift 13-21. Followed by thu and fri 05-21 (16 hour days). Weekend off. Mon and tue again 16 hour days. Week ends wednesday morning shift 05-13. Then it's week off untill the rotation starts again.

I can do some overtime on the weekends if i want to. Saturday is +50% on hourly pay, sunday is 100%.

Edit: so i would not trade this for less work, it would be a nightmare to manage as we need to be on call from 05:00 to 21:00, less hours would mean hiring more people, but it would be a nightmare to make everything work.

However cutting down some work hours would be generally a good thing as getting a job is not as easy as it used to be. Less people on benefits.

Edit2: This is finland btw. 40 hour weeks.
    Last edited by mmocc73010dd6b; 2013-09-03 at 10:57 PM.

I work to live, I don't live to work.

If I could take an extra day off and still be able to get my job complete and afford to support myself and a family with a little cash to spare, gladly.

You call it lazy for it, fuck off work nazi. If you really like that, I think I can find you a job that has you working for seven 12 hour days salaried at around $300 a week with no benefits, not like you need it or anything, you like to spend your entire life working, you live to work.

And if you call us lazy, you must despise every other first world country for being so lazy as they work less hours (At worst being on par with us) with better pay and more benefits and more days off them lazy bums /sarcasm

No but I would work a 4 day week if those were 10 hour shifts with Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday off.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not with a mortgage. Maybe when I hit my late 50s (I'm 30 next year) I'll ease off and go to 4 days a week. It really depends if I have kids of not though (doubtful at the moment).

Deleted
    Nope 5 days is good for me