Question I Want to Learn how to Taste Umami!

Weird topic name aside, I want to learn how to taste the 5th base flavor!

For those still scratching their heads over what the jeebus I'm even talking about, umami is one of the five basic flavors. There's salt, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami. The thing is, umami is a fairly recent addition, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's something we've been taught by the japanese, so it isn't at all as well known in the western world as the other four flavors.

Umami is translated loosely into savoriness. So where can you taste savory? I don't know! The only food I've heard about that supposedly tastes umami is tomatoes.

My problem is that since I've only learned about umami recently, I have no idea what it tastes like, despite me probably having tasted it countless times during my life. See, the other four flavors I've had all my life to learn to recognize and what to associate them with, but umami just leaves me clueless. I might as well be trying to think up a new color.

Does anyone know of more foods with a distinct umami flavor? I mean, if it's one of the basic flavors, I assume it should be fairly easy to detect, just like the others. I want to learn how to taste it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Worcestershire sauce is a good source of umami flavor; the ultimate source is considered to be dashi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Theres a section on foods that taste of it.

Looks like we're off to the chinese...

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product...97257011&dnr=y

Go to the supermarket and buy some umami paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know it had a name, but yeah, I'm familiar with it.

Malt. The flavour is malty.
    So Brown Sauce is umami. Japanese soy sauce is umami (as well as salty). And beer is umami.

how about some raw meat

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you say about my momma?

marmite.

/10char

Monosodium Glutamate. (MSG).

It is the crystalized essence of Umami.

The only problem is it has been linked to triggering migraines in some people. And because it's technically a source of sodium on top of all the salt and food additives we eat, if consumed too often it can be bad for your heart.

Mushrooms have a very minute trace of Umami to them, in fact MSG is a highly refined artificial form of the glutamate compounds found in mushrooms.