10+ Year Old Account

Integrated graphics card taking priority over dedicated graphics card

So, I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago with an intel HD graphics card and an nVidia 745M dedicated graphics card. Everything was fine until I restarted the computer for the first time after getting the graphics card set up. Ever since then whenever I played a game I'd get pretty low fps. Even in WoW I'd cap out at 30-33 fps when I was hovering around 60-70 before. Although, there was one day when I played Assassin's Creed 3 flawlessly. No frame drops. Silky smooth fps. It was amazing, but when I tried to play last night, I began to lag out again.

The final straw was when I played Path of Exile. I went in the options at the top and it say "Intel Graphics Family" was my adapter even though I right-clicked and specifically said to use the nVidia card. I've tried going into the nVidia control panel, but that doesn't seem to work either. I paid a good amount of money for this laptop, and I'd like to be able to enjoy it. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

You should contact the company that actually BUILT the good paid laptop.

But I guess you could also try to just deactivate the integrated graphics card in the Bios.

Deleted
    WOW is more about cpu as much I know. But you can try reinstall drivers and try pc check for hardware problems. And if you have warranty just call them. The company I'm buying my laptops from just send a technician home to fix it. It can be some problems with the settings as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Head into the BIOS and disable onboard/integrated graphics.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-09-04 at 12:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Head into the BIOS and disable onboard/integrated graphics.
    That isn't too elegant a solution and will have a significant impact on battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    WOW is more about cpu as much I know.
    It's very CPU intensive but a crappy graphics card will still get you crappy graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to tell your laptop to make sure it is using the discrete card before the onboard card - I am pretty sure that most BIOS will allow you to specify one over the other as the primary adapter; it's usually in the Integrated Peripherals section, that's where it is on mine.

Without knowing your exact BIOS I can't be more specific than that sorry.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely an nVidia Optimus setup. You usually can't 'disable' the integrated adapter, nor would you want to.

You likely need to specify in the nvidia control panel to make sure it registers those games as things that should use the dedicated card.

I haven't updated my website in a while, but there are instructions on there that should be similar.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yeah, that's specific for Minecraft. Instead of navigating to that folder navigate to your game's specific folder and add that to the control panel list obviously.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's likely an nVidia Optimus setup. You usually can't 'disable' the integrated adapter, nor would you want to.

You likely need to specify in the nvidia control panel to make sure it registers those games as things that should use the dedicated card.

I haven't updated my website in a while, but there are instructions on there that should be similar.
    I did that and it still refused to use the nvidia card.