Thinking of playing again, but...

I played off and on for a few months before the expansion. Played when SL came out for a few months, fluttering around bad guilds that could barely clear the 10-man raid and could barely touch Gelidra in FT, and ultimately went back to WoW. I had a level 60 Warrior (DPS/Tank) in pretty much full Expert gear with some pieces from TDQ, but I'm thinking of dusting off my old Cleric that's 51.

My issue is that I have never and don't ever want to heal (I don't understand the major concepts of healing and I don't want that kind of pressure); the only healing class I could ever get into was the Inquisicar and they were put down with the expansion. So the question is if a Cleric that refuses to heal would be considered as a viable choice in the game. I would either go main spec DPS (Inquisitor and Shaman) or tank with him, but any kind of role involving actively healing isn't something I enjoy and I would pretty much refuse to switch as I'd just stumble around and likely screw up bigtime.

In short, would I be shooting myself in the foot by wanting to play a Cleric but flat-out stating that I don't want to heal ever, for any reason (unless perhaps they brought back an Inquisicar-like healer that mostly did damage and tossed out some heals)? Even if I stuck with my Warrior, at some point they will add a healing Warrior so I'd run into the same kind of issue, it seems.

You'd be limiting your options, but clerics are absolutely viable tanks and dps. You don't need to heal if you don't want to.

Clerics are viable tanks and DPS. Whether the guild you join is open to your refusal to heal is another matter.

For example. We had a cleric in our guild for a few years who never healed. It wasn't a problem for us because he was great DPS and good spot tank when we needed one.

Some guilds are more flexible than others. How you figure that out is the social side of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to enjoy the InquisiCAR build and I used to play that or Inquisitor.

Now that the "car" build is gone, I will only heal in PvP, not in raids - just don't enjoy it.

So, I just make it clear that I don't do anything except inquisitor.

If the guild can't cope with it, that's their issue. Their choice whether to use me or not.

My class is not cleric. It's an inquisitor. I don't enjoy playing any other way. Simple as that.

With SL 3.0 having "all" classes able to do everything, you can choose what to play.

Might sound selfish to some, but I play games to get enjoyment, not as a chore - playing a healer /or tank at the moment to me is a chore.

I would heal/tank in an absolute crisis (can't let 19 other people suffer), but would make it clear that I don't enjoy it and would refuse to be peg-holed into that slot.

EDIT: that said - i'm a bit "meh" about Rift at the moment, so don't really care and am just a casual in a guild.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-09-04 at 04:43 PM.