Affliction AoE, ToT questions

Making the change from holly pally to lock for normal mode progression in 5.4.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ossus/advanced

I’m looking for boss fight AOE specific advice for Affliction. I realize I could switch to demo but I’m trying to get into Affliction mode. It’s been a while since I raided with this spec. Plus add in I don’t have UVLS and the 5.4 adjustments to rppm I figure I’ll stay with AFF going forward.

Horridon
    I tried to keep my dots up on the boss as much as possible but most of the time I would spam Soulburn doting up as many adds as I could then MG/LD to fill shards. Rinse and repeat. I think my dps suffered trying to focus on horridon. Feels more like I should go all adds until their dead then on the boss till adds come up again. Any pointers on when to use Drain soul? For 5.4 progression I’ll simply go Demo for fights like this but I’d still like to improve my AFF AOE.

Council of Elders
    Does it make more sense using Soulburn to dot other targets or simply Haunt the purple target? I used most all of my soulburns dotting the 4 boss’s. It wasn’t until we got down to 2 bosses that I started getting some haunts in. Feels like I should have just blasted Sul at the start for lust then focus primarly on the purple boss. Or possibly focus on two bosses the entire fight.

Tortos
    I got dominated by the other locks and did poor. I was assigned to shells>bats>boss. Do you dot all three shells up with soulburn then MG the shell marked with skull? Any pointers here? I got shafted on this fight.

Any pointers in general for AOE would be appreciated.

Could you link some logs from the raid? That would help us see exactly what you were doing and what the other locks were doing.

For council as affliction; you want to be full mastery if you care about max damage first off, other then that one of your priorities to have your pet on passive and put him on a target that will typically be last to die (I do the priest personally) then you main objective is to have your dots rolling on every target 100%, or close to it. MG/DS when you can, also a cool tip to get 5 shards is to SB and hold to buff, DS the add before it dies so you have 4 full shards and the 5th SB buff already, you can SB:SS all the bosses at that point then use the last one for a haunt/mg if you wish.

As for tortos, SB:Soc the bats always, keep dots on tortos and as for turtles you can just dot/mg all 3, typically 1 row of dots should be enough for each but you may need two, at which point manual recast or if you're swimming in shards for corruption on the bats feel free to sb:ss them all once more. There isn't much of a tip here to increase your damage aside from keeping your dots up on tortos and pet passive sitting on tortos 100%. AoE bats when you can and dot up turtles, also for heroic mode please for the love of god use glyph of life tap

Quote Originally Posted by Numidia View Post
    Could you link some logs from the raid? That would help us see exactly what you were doing and what the other locks were doing.
    I didn't link logs because I know that I was horrid this week. It was my first week going affliction and I know I have some work getting back into it. But if you like to see them here they are. There were a couple fights that I got frustrated with the group and I know if affected my dps. It's the end of the tier and people are burnt.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-aj46t0v5mhf3hvbh/

Thanks destroyed, that's what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

@destroyed, when you say full mastery do you mean avoid the 9800 haste break point? Just to full mastery for the dot damage increase? We're a normal mode group so I'd like to have a good balance to my build. I don't want to reforge/gem for fights.

Any tips on gearing for 5.4. I've been staying up to date on most the info but it still seems like heroic raiders are keeping the near 14k haste breakpoint. For gear like mine, 536 with legendary items, should I aim for a different haste BP?
    Last edited by Mazar; 2013-09-05 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazar View Post
    I didn't link logs because I know that I was horrid this week. It was my first week going affliction and I know I have some work getting back into it. But if you like to see them here they are. There were a couple fights that I got frustrated with the group and I know if affected my dps. It's the end of the tier and people are burnt.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-aj46t0v5mhf3hvbh/

Thanks destroyed, that's what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

@destroyed, when you say full mastery do you mean avoid the 9800 haste break point? Just to full mastery for the dot damage increase? We're a normal mode group so I'd like to have a good balance to my build. I don't want to reforge/gem for fights.

Any tips on gearing for 5.4. I've been staying up to date on most the info but it still seems like heroic raiders are keeping the near 14k haste breakpoint. For gear like mine, 536 with legendary items, should I aim for a different haste BP?
    You should aim for the 9778 breakpoint and stack as much mastery as possible. Optimal for affliction and very good for demo as well.

Edit: After a quick look at your logs, your dot uptime appears low on a few encounters(86% council, 90% Jin etc), specifically with UA. There's no reason to have >95% uptime on a dot unless you were spamming SOC on bats or something similar.

As for aoe, all you can really do for true aoe as affliction is get up a super buffed SB:SOC and spam more SOC, refreshing the SBSOC corruption when it's about to run out. If you need or want more aoe damage than you're seeing with that, I would suggest demonology.
    Last edited by Numidia; 2013-09-05 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks numida, that's what I'm currently doing. I haven been switching due to wanting to get more raid time as affliction to be better prepared for 5.4z