Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Any Disc Priests going to be changing to Holy for 5.4?

As the title says: Are any Disc Priests going to be changing to Holy when 5.4 goes live? Why or why not? What are your reasons.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Vampiric Embrace now calls upon a glittery vampire to hold you and tell you he will always protect you, Bella.

Why do you have to choose? I run both specs and swap based on the fight.
    Karuzo, mistweaver monk | Macphisto, discipline priest
    <Razzia>, US-Arthas

I've been Discipline since well before it was ever viable. Shortly after reaching level 60 on my priest, I went Disc back during 1.2 right in there.
    Why? Madness mostly, na just really liked the idea of it. So after weathering the ups and down of the spec, I'll be Disc during and long after 5.4
    Just a grumpy stubborn Dwarf too set in the Disc ways, for better or worse.

Depends on what my guilds healing comp is when 5.4 hits. Semi-harcore 25s have a bit of turnover, and while our healing roster has been fairly stable for most of MoP (four of us still around from release), we do seem to have to replace a healer or two every couple of months due to IRL getting in the way.

At the moment, I am the only healing Priest in my guild, so if that doesn't change I will likely stay Disc for the absorbs, unless Holy turns out to be much, much stronger. If we happen to pick up another good Priest, one of us would likely go Holy if the extra output is needed; and it seems SoO is very AoE heavy.

So I guess my answer is that I am taking a wait and see approach.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aymee/advanced - Retired until WoD

"MMOC forums let me keep my job again. Whew." -Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street

Depending on the fight I will change to holy in 5.4 yes. But I will continue to gem and enchant my character with the assumption that i'll be playing Disc most of the time since I enjoy playing it the most.

Holy is always the way to go. Disc playstyle is the most boring thing ever. I miss the days of ICC where you could pump out max HPS and not worry about mana. Solo healing heroic blood queen 25 was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by unequivocal1 View Post
    Holy is always the way to go. Disc playstyle is the most boring thing ever. I miss the days of ICC where you could pump out max HPS and not worry about mana. Solo healing heroic blood queen 25 was awesome.
    You miss the days when healing was the most boring thing in WoW? haha

Anyway, I'll stay Disc as I have been since WotLK release. Haven't touched Holy since Sunwell, and probably never will again.

Cool story man. Just wanted to add something : Holy is always the way to go...if you want to suck and be last on the healing meter.

Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Cool story man. Just wanted to add something : Holy is always the way to go...if you want to suck and be last on the healing meter.
    Have a look at raidbots sometime. Holy is a better choice than disc on several fights in terms of pure hps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Have a look at raidbots sometime. Holy is a better choice than disc on several fights in terms of pure hps.
    Holy has always had a higher maximum throughput that Disc. But throughput isn't the reason why Disc is preferred over Holy.

In regards to the topic at hand, I'm staying Disc. I run 10m so the "nerf" won't really effect me all that much. Plus Pally/Disc is still one of the stronger healing combo's out there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm already Holy. Disc will still be favored for its utility.
    Tiriel <Demise> of US-Kel'Thuzad

Thank you to Yoni for this AMAZING signature!

I'll stay holy unless there are Horridon-like fights that are pretty much made for disc. I run 10m and I tried to go disc several times with good results, but its just not my cup of tea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Cool story man, check WoL, raidbots. Holy priests perform very well despite being limited by Chakra and mana more than other healers, and despite being barely represented in both 10s and 25s.

I raid 10's and play disc. Unless they remove atonement from the game there's no reason I would want to play holy. Don't get me wrong, I've played and enjoyed holy priest in pve before but after they introduced the new atonement there's just no going back. Ofc everything depends on the tuning of the encounters when 5.4 goes live, but so far it seems like disc has superior utility.

TBH I think it would make more sense if they either made Atonement a Holy thing rather than Disc (Disc already has absorbs and better mana efficiency, Atonement is just excessive), or made it baseline for Priest healers, or just removed it. But Atonement is too firmly established as a Disc thing for that *shrug*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    TBH I think it would make more sense if they either made Atonement a Holy thing rather than Disc (Disc already has absorbs and better mana efficiency, Atonement is just excessive), or made it baseline for Priest healers, or just removed it. But Atonement is too firmly established as a Disc thing for that *shrug*.
    Atonement in red chakra would be so overpowered it'd be worth it just to see paladin tears. Of course then they'd probably just remove the red chakra... Since chakra overall is a mechanic that works so damn well
    Last edited by Muoteck; 2013-08-13 at 06:58 AM.
    You see, there's this thing called "aggro". It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression.
    Loosely translated, it means "the priest dies".

What, after all the buffs? Why would I go and do something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well at least they did admit that the CDs, the absorbs and Atonement all in one spec was just too much versatility. I also want some Atonement love to come Holy's way and to either be removed or nerfed again for Discs, but I also agree that it is likely always going to remain a Disc only mechanic.

On the other hand, even if I only off heal, my spec is returning back to Holy where it belongs. Vastly prefer the spec (even with Chakra) and I'm hoping that with some of the changes, I won't be gimping the raid (10man). At the very least it might stop the R Druid we have from complaining about his overheal.

Pokemon FC 5429-8415-2308 - Steel Safari with Ferroseed / Klang / Bronzong PM me if you want me to add you in turn.

Well, from the very limited testing I did, there's at least two bosses where Disc isn't a good choice. One of them is simply "meh", the other makes Tortos HC look like a Disc Heaven. Now here's hoping there won't be any "barrier.spirit shell or gtfo" encounters and I could *finally* drop Disc for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilbu View Post
    I raid 10's and play disc. Unless they remove atonement from the game there's no reason I would want to play holy. Don't get me wrong, I've played and enjoyed holy priest in pve before but after they introduced the new atonement there's just no going back. Ofc everything depends on the tuning of the encounters when 5.4 goes live, but so far it seems like disc has superior utility.
    Atonment is one of the reasons I stay away from disc. Yes, its powerful, but its too easy, too powerful, and if I wanted to dps, I'd roll a dps class. Holy feels more like a healer, to me, than disc, hence I enjoy it more. Now if Blizz removes Chakra, I will be a happy priest.

From PTR testing there are definitely fights that will favor holy over disc, and visa-versa. Holy's "mana problem" (which I never really agreed was as big of a problem that some doomsay'd about) has been improved given the changes to Serendipity and the cost reduction of Sanctuary. (though I am still not sold on the effectiveness of Sanc, even with 4pc).

I am firmly in the camp that a priest should be comfortable playing BOTH specs, and refusing to play the other is no different than a Hunter refusing to play BM when BM is better for a certain fight, and when Surv is better for another.

The downside is that gearing and gemming for Disc and Holy in 5.4 is going to be notably different from eachother. DIsc has a specific haste breakpoint it will likely want to keep at minimum while favoring crit, and Holy is goign to continue to enjoy Mastery (which is on nearly every Tier piece in SoO).