Thread: Disney Infinity

Disney Infinity

I searched first and didn't see a thread for this. *shrug*

Has anyone else played this? Good? Fun? Kids enjoy it? I haven't actually got this game yet but it looked like the kind of thing I could either play with my nieces and nephews or just let them play while they stay over and I use it as an excuse to collect figures of my favorite Disney characters.

So I got to looking at the character roster and I'm kind of annoyed. Just the characters they picked for this game are so strange. They passed up all kinds of classic movies and characters in order to draw from the likes of Cars and The Lone Ranger (HA! Good luck milking that franchise...) at launch? And they are going to follow up by adding characters from Fineas and Ferb and that Frozen movie which I'm hoping is going to be a lot better than that stupid teaser leads me to think it will be...

And what's this about the major game mode not allowing characters from different franchises? That seems like it spoils the cool idea behind this game to begin with. I like the idea that they can just jeep adding more content to the game with more playsets, but having to keep buying more characters because your old ones can't use it sounds shifty. I'm told the other game mode, which has been described as something like Minecraft meets Little Big Planet, allows any and all characters though.

Ah, well. Thoughts?

Bought it for the 8 year-old, loves it. The toybox mode is like a pre-built sandbox, you just piece together the items (towers, trees, bridges, etc) to make your world. He still prefers to play minecraft, but Infinity seems to give a more straightforward structure: Play the story-mode, beat the bad guys, collect the items there, use them to create a nice little disney world.

I personally can't wait for Wreck it Ralph to release for this game. Fav disney movie by far.

The game looks... simplistic enough... It looks like it's made for kids and it does look very kiddish. Though, from what I hear, the toybox mode can be fun even for older people.

The thing I don't get though, is the whole figure thing necessary? Let me answer that. No, no it isn't. It honestly upsets me that Skylanders has created a market for Gotta-collect-'em-all video games. Sure, physical items to add into a video game isn't really new, but it's clear Skylanders was the beginning of it for a modern market. Really, this just seems like an attempt to cash in on the fact that Skylanders has been selling and anyone will buy anything with Disney on it.

I'm kind of waiting for Nintendo to do one for their characters next... It'll be like Super Smash Bros except a sandbox adventure instead of fighting... Though, to be fair, I'd probably by the figures just for a collector's item.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Though, to be fair, I'd probably by the figures just for a collector's item.
    And that's the disadvantage Skylanders is at. No one who doesn't play the game has the slightest fucking clue who any of their characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    And that's the disadvantage Skylanders is at. No one who doesn't play the game has the slightest fucking clue who any of their characters are.
    A lot of them loot overtly ridiculous IMO. I know their designed for kids but still. Part of me is hoping this whole idea evolves to TCG or tabletop like games that can be integrated into a console. That or pokemon figures.