Thread: Deadlifting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    No need to drop the weight when deadlifting. You're correct in that you don't do a negative but you still should control the weight down. Here is 585lbs for reps with no drop. Here is 675lbs for reps with no drop. Unless you are hitting big weight then there is no reason to drop the weight.
    1st video has music, so you can't hear the weight touching the floor. 2nd video he drops the weight eh?... Point is that at the end of deadlifting you usually release the weight (when the weight is below the knees and the starting position) and it makes a quite loud sound if the weight is heavy.

Deleted
    My guess is if the staff bloke came over to talk to you, you were dropping the weight much harder than you realised.
    You should be in control at all times. If you cant control it(not reverse, but control), then its too heavy or you are doing too many reps.
    Leave the macho clunking weight drops for those steroid pumped posers who make ridiculous grunting sounds and spend rather too much time staring at themselves in the mirrors.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    1st video has music, so you can't hear the weight touching the floor. 2nd video he drops the weight eh?... Point is that at the end of deadlifting you usually release the weight (when the weight is below the knees and the starting position) and it makes a quite loud sound if the weight is heavy.
    You and I are getting our ideas of dropping the weight mixed up I think. This is what I consider dropping the weight. Yes yes. Before you bash me on that video I understand he is using the plates which are designed to be dropped. I'm just using it as an example of what I consider dropping. The previous two videos I linked the guys are controlling the weight down. Yes, the weight goes fast and loud but it is still controlled. It isn't simply dropped from the top of the lift. Yes yes, I'm also aware that some exercises are designed around dropping the weight (crossfit) but normal weight lifting in the gym there is no reason to drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there any yoga pads laying around? Most gyms have some kind of padding for people who are going to be laying on the floor for core exercising or stretching. At my current gym they don't have any large padding for deadlifting so I just pick up 4 yoga pads and fold those over.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Deleted
    The best thing you can do is save up for a home gym, I am setting up one myself in a shed in my garden, once it is down I can be as loud as I like and there will be no queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience if its not rubber weights even with very good control you're still going to have SOME noise when you set it down. And depending on the floor and if there is rubber on the weights depends on how loud it is. I always try to use the rubber coated weights when I'm deadlifting as opposed to the pure steel ones. Make less clinking during the movement and not clank when setting it back down.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Deleted
    Lol true dat....

Deleted
    What would you guys recommend in weights? for a person that is going to start doing deadlifts. Worked out for quite some time but never had the oppurtunity with the full set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othillia View Post
    What would you guys recommend in weights? for a person that is going to start doing deadlifts. Worked out for quite some time but never had the oppurtunity with the full set.
    I'd never recommend deadlifts in the first place. Too much potential to hurt your lumbar. If you're going to start off though, 135 (standard bar + one 45 on each side) is a good starting point. Focus on your form first and foremost, and add weight later. Don't sacrifice form for weight on exercises with high injury potential, especially when you're talking about your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    2 plate, meaning 2 45's per side? Assuming a 45 lb bar, this is 225 lb? And you said "and change" so I'll assume 250.

250 lb isn't even super heavy for deadlifting. I weigh 250. I bet they wouldn't complain about me damaging the floor if I fell. That being said, setting something down gracefully is ALSO somewhat of a workout, so if you have trouble setting it down gracefully it may be slightly too much. If you just aren't attempting to set it down gracefully, then remind yourself this isn't a competition. You don't need to throw down and roar like a bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I'd never recommend deadlifts in the first place. Too much potential to hurt your lumbar. If you're going to start off though, 135 (standard bar + one 45 on each side) is a good starting point. Focus on your form first and foremost, and add weight later. Don't sacrifice form for weight on exercises with high injury potential, especially when you're talking about your back.
    Ah ok ty, have been working out for some time as i said but im unsure about the weights. And i know about the core workout first then the extra weights Ty though! will start small

Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press and Bench Press. If anyone tells you to avoid any of those 4 lifts, they aren't interested in being strong.

Do them with proper form and you'll be lifting injury free for a very long time.

For me, I follow the Wendler 5/3/1 scheme. The heaviest weights I workout with for the DL are in the 450 range for my 3rd week. I use a combination of bumper and iron plates so they aren't too loud when I bring the weight down under control (the only lifts I drop are the Oly lifts). If you are just starting out, as a 250 lb guy, you should be able to do 225 without too much of an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othillia View Post
    Ah ok ty, have been working out for some time as i said but im unsure about the weights. And i know about the core workout first then the extra weights Ty though! will start small
    If it's too easy add more. If you're looking to really beef up, and you get the form down, deadlifts are excellent. Just don't forget to do your calisthenics. Buff bots are nice and all, but no one has the pound for pound strength of rock climbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    If it's too easy add more. If you're looking to really beef up, and you get the form down, deadlifts are excellent. Just don't forget to do your calisthenics. Buff bots are nice and all, but no one has the pound for pound strength of rock climbers.
    true that Rock climbers are insanely strong

As said above start with 135lbs. Then just add 10 or 15lbs per side as you work your way up. I suggest video taping yourself. Video tape yourself doing a weight that you can handle for 5-8 reps and tape yourself at your max weight. Getting to watch yourself helps tons in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    2 plate, meaning 2 45's per side? Assuming a 45 lb bar, this is 225 lb? And you said "and change" so I'll assume 250.

250 lb isn't even super heavy for deadlifting. I weigh 250. I bet they wouldn't complain about me damaging the floor if I fell. That being said, setting something down gracefully is ALSO somewhat of a workout, so if you have trouble setting it down gracefully it may be slightly too much. If you just aren't attempting to set it down gracefully, then remind yourself this isn't a competition. You don't need to throw down and roar like a bear.
    The bar is being set down gracefully the majority of the noise is coming from when the plates are moving when its being set down since there aren't clips being available. The bar comes down at a controlled rate fastest speed being when the bar is about 1-2 inches at the most from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The best thing you can do is save up for a home gym, I am setting up one myself in a shed in my garden, once it is down I can be as loud as I like and there will be no queues.
    ^ This. Just did 1 plate today going slow as hell set it down still made about the same amount of noise as when I do them normally.
    Last edited by Dtloweca; 2013-09-14 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minrolol View Post
    The bar is being set down gracefully the majority of the noise is coming from when the plates are moving when its being set down since there aren't clips being available. The bar comes down at a controlled rate fastest speed being when the bar is about 1-2 inches at the most from the ground.

^ This. Just did 1 plate today going slow as hell set it down still made about the same amount of noise as when I do them normally.
    Buy your own clips... problem solved?

I bet the OP was grunting all over the place and hurling the weight around with a bent back and 0 control. Lower your weight and do it right. So tired of seeing big guys with no strength pushing weight around that they have no business lifting. If you can't control the weight, it's too heavy for you, lose the ego trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    I bet the OP was grunting all over the place and hurling the weight around with a bent back and 0 control. Lower your weight and do it right. So tired of seeing big guys with no strength pushing weight around that they have no business lifting. If you can't control the weight, it's too heavy for you, lose the ego trip.
    Well that escalated quickly. Not very big only 185 at 6,1 and have control of the weight believe I even said so also mentioned doing 1 plate made the same amount of noise but im sure you didn't read anything and formed some retarded opinion based off my "egotistic" first post.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Buy your own clips... problem solved?
    Happen to know a good place to buy them? I had not thought of that