Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you fear going bald?

Hey there. I was thinking about making a topic because everything in the list is all about the war in syria / other stuff. We need to freshen it up a bit.

I have a friend of mine who ALWAYS wear a hat. I never thought about it really, but I hadn't seen him without it in a few months at least, perhaps even a year.
    I asked him if he was hiding a bad haircut or if it's just a choice of style, and he took it off.

He was thinning on top with the corners of his hairline receeded and all. He told me that it was a pain in the ass to be around 20 years old and already lose his hair.
    His confidence is at rock bottom and he's thinking about saving up for a hair transplant. What is your take on this?

Are you losing your hair or are you sporting a 100% straight juvenile hairline a la Bill Clinton?
    Would losing your hair impact your life in a negative/positive way when it comes to self esteem?

I would personally go insane if I lost my hair, or started to recede a lot or thin. I don't know how I'd look without any since I've basically never sported the trimmed look :/

I apologize for the bad grammar/any typo's. English isn't my native language!

*EDIT*
    There are preventative measures you can take to regain some of your hair (a lot in most cases). Would you be for, or against taking Propecia or Rogaine (Minoxidil) to regain what you have lost? It's not as effective on your temples as it is on your scalp (the crown and surrounding areas). I told my friend about this after a few hours of research and he's on Propecia atm. He started to shed really bad at first but the shedding stopped and hair he had previously lost started to grow out and fill the bald spot.

It's approved by the FDA and has reversible side-effects on sexuality. Once you stop it, the S-E stops. Would you?
    Last edited by mmoc87911d0539; 2013-09-05 at 01:42 PM.

I started thinning at 16 and I got the baldness where I dont want it right in the middle towards the back. I shave my head now, and I have gotten used to it and now prefer it. If I was fully bad it would be wonderful.

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

I'm 21 and I got loads of grey hair and my hair in the front is really thin. I don't really care. Guess I'll be as sexy as George Clooney is xD

I never cared about going grey or bald when I was younger (and still don't). Now that I'm in my 40's I've receded slightly above the temples, and I'm shot with grey at the temples and chin; both of my brothers (younger!) are going bald though.

If I started going bald though, I'd either shave it all off, or crop it even shorter than I usually do (0.25", usually).

Deleted
    I don't think i'd care - but i go to a rather alternative conservatory where people are more or less batshit insane themselves, so most of them would be like "Dude! Cooooool!".

If i was anywhere else? ... Still no. If people want to judge on a receding hairline, that's their issue. I can understand why some men could lose confidence from it though.

I usually shave my head anyway, so it'd probably just make things easier for me :P

I shave my head.

I noticed a receding hairline and thinning on the top of my head, so I just said "screw it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I usually shave my head anyway, so it'd probably just make things easier for me :P
    Yeah exactly, we're staying ahead ;_)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmister View Post
    I started thinning at 16 and I got the baldness where I dont want it right in the middle towards the back. I shave my head now, and I have gotten used to it and now prefer it. If I was fully bad it would be wonderful.
    Same for me, I wish I could get it all to stop growing completely. Many think they are less sexually attractive without hair but that is far from the truth.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fortune favors the bald.

I starting losing mine in my early 20s (30 next year), once I started shaving my hair I was fine but I do have a good shaped head. I wont lie though I did have some 3 AM moments of paranoia before that. I think I turned out an alright look guy....

The major draw back I find is that people seem to think you look like every other bald guy. One of my mates thought he saw me at a pub, smacked some random guy on the back of the head to say g'day. He was lucky the guy had a sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I shave my head.

I noticed a receding hairline and thinning on the top of my head, so I just said "screw it."
    Same here, I noticed it thinning when I was in my early 20s and did the same thing. I would LOVE to have nice long hair, but oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Every god damn day.
    My grandfather was near-bald at 19.

I'm currently 20, but it seems to still be growing fine, thank god.
    My father started balding in the middle at about 40.

Probably doesn't help I dye/straighten and use heaps of product in my hair nearly every day, but eh.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    well I have to say that some people really look good with their receeded hairlines. For example, Jason Statham, Pierce Brosnan (I'm counting people you actually see on a somewhat regular basis, celebrities) Matt Damon. But really, some people just don't have the headshape for it. That's my honest to god opinion. So on behalf of my friend, and my future self, along with every victim of baldness to some degree or fully, I'm hoping Histogen or Replicel or whatever passes the FDA approval. I've done some research and it's quite fascinating.

I want to have a mild recession around the temples to mirror my age somewhat, but I want it to stop there. I really can't handle going bald until I grow some balls and accept it for what it is :P Some research have shown that males with a high level of testosterone go bald, or receede / shed a lot of hair, and that it SHOULD attract the ladies. It should be preferred to "mate" with bald men, because they have an overabundance of testosterone. But the lot of males who represent the world of celebrities usually have brick-thick hair and golden locks hanging from their scalps.

I won't get bald. So, no. I don't fear it!

I've got a tip, given that the baldness isn't genetic related: whenever you're washing your hair (or what's left of it), do so with REALLY cold water. Lower temperature will force higher blood flow to the scalp and since hair folicules need oxygen (blood has it), it will help a little bit. Worked for me.

Like gardening, only it's from inside your head.

My family dont go bald but i was going gray when i hit 25

But hey hair dye is fucking cheap so thats fine by me

Deleted
    I started losing hair when i was 13 and i was pretty shocked back then. I used those shampoos which are supposed to help, but when i was 18 i decided to not give a damn and started shaving all off. Now days i actually think i look more handsome with less hair.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't go bald so there's nothing to worry about, no such genes in my family. My dad is ~60, he still has hair (albeit a bit thinner than when he was younger), my granddads both had hair until their deaths. I've got loads of hair and not even a trace of "male pattern baldness", all hair dressers I visit always comment that I have "a lot of hair". I'm 25 btw.

Quit being so vain, shave your hair off and accept the inevitable. It's part of life you age and your genes determine what's going to happen with things like that. You will be much better off if you start shaving your hair and accept what will be will be.

Deleted
    I started getting grey hair around 22. Was working one day and suddenly a co-worker leans over and shouts out all surprised "Oh my, you're already getting grey hair!". Was a bit awkward but then we laughed about it.

And I'm always near a heart attack after taking a shower and looking in the drain - because there's always this huge ball of hair clogging everything up. But I'm 29 now and didn't really loose any hair on my head, even tho I still clog up the drain like some kind of animal since my teens. I loose hair EVERYWHERE but thank god it doesn't seem to affect my hair at all.
    Even tho I once HAD a little bald spot close to my forehead - it was a small circle, around 3cm diameter. Really weird! But my long hair covered it up, so nobody besides me knew it was there. I had it for like a year or two and than it vanished again. I was really freaked out by that! I think it was due to stress, because I was having a rough time back then.

So yeah, I always was a bit scared of that. I know that this thread is mostly targeted at males but still wanted to share that