Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    i love leveling

    leveling a new character is the best aspect of the game

    leveling is more fun that gearing max level toons and running end-game raids or competitive PvP

    leveling is so goddamn fun i create new characters, level them, delete them, and start new character, just to level them again.
    and here I thought I was the only one having fun leveling up toons as opposed to gearing them up when I max out at 90.

  2. #22
    Leveling isn't a problem. Some forum-goers like to think about how to MAKE it one though.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  3. #23
    Don't generalize it because I happen to enjoy leveling even after playing since vanilla, in fact I wish we could get old school leveling back, you know when leveling to 60 in 1 month was considered reasonably fast from a casual standpoint.

    But I do agree that everything forced will lead to boredom. they need to give people a lot more choices, which is just as good as questing, like grinding or pvping etc. As of now the main point of the game is to get to 90 asap then stand in org waiting for a que to a dungeon to get good enough gear so you can que for something else.

  4. #24
    I like leveling but only in EK, Kalimdor and Northrend.

    Never liked outland and the zones in MoP are quite bad and way to crowded with mobs.

  5. #25
    Mechagnome Dragore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    700
    I would like to level more chars but i have some problems.

    1. Feel like I have to have heirlooms or it will take to long.
    2. Kill shit to fast because of heirlooms so its not as fun and challenging.
    3. I have almost every class leveled to at least 85 so I get this feeling of "why should I level if I have this char already".
    4. The idea of I must get this character to level 90 asap because thats when the game starts.

    Here is what I would like to see changed to help me to want to level more characters.

    1. Remove heirloom gear exp.
    2. Increase npc mobs health and damage by at least 10%.
    3. Monk style daily quest (daily to increase exp by X% for x amount of time). I like the fact that as a monk I have my own area to go to I think that is very cool and every class should have something like that.
    4. Increase mob exp by ~30%.
    5. Large class quest lines. This could be something every level a quest pops up it could be used to teach new people about the class or story drivin (swtor, was so much fun and felt so invested).

    Granted some of these would take a long time to implement according to blizz but to me would make it more exciting leveling. Leveling should be apart of the game, apart of your character, not just omg I have to get to 90 as fast as possible.

  6. #26
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Interesting mind set. Are you saying the sole purpose of alts is to enjoy the awesome experience of leveling ? Once you level a toon, does everyone sit around and say "Gosh I want to do that all over again" ?
    that is precisely the reason i level alts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    I like leveling but only in EK, Kalimdor and Northrend.

    Never liked outland and the zones in MoP are quite bad and way to crowded with mobs.
    interesting, i kind of wish there were more mobs in some zones. i get frustrated when there just aren't enough targets for me to kill,

    i was leveling a rogue the other week and frustrated that i just couldn't get from target to target fast enough to get a really good sustainable streak of Deadly-momentum.
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  7. #27
    Brewmaster Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,286
    I don't think that leveling needs to be drastically changed; however, it would be great to see a few more new additions:
    1) As has been stated, dynamic events to bE added to a good chunk of zones. Especially with CRZ, events that allow you to join a public group could prove to be quite popular.
    2) Mentoring System - At this current time, the only way to affect the difficulty is to remove gear or to not accept gear upgrades. Even without looms, people tend to out level each zone before the end so you end up taking inferior xp if you want to finish or not finishing the zone. The ability to change your level/iLevel could prove to be very useful for those who want to control those two aspects. This would also allow higher level players to quest with friends.
    3) Sadly can't happen but would love to see Diablo's Monster Power put into the game. This would make those looking for a higher difficulty have that option and for it to reward you accordingly. Would love more risk/reward.

  8. #28
    The Patient dcuffel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ocean Park, WA
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Here is what I would like to see changed to help me to want to level more characters.

    1. Remove heirloom gear exp.
    2. Increase npc mobs health and damage by at least 25%.
    5. Large class quest lines. This could be something every level a quest pops up it could be used to teach new people about the class or story drivin (swtor, was so much fun and felt so invested).
    These, a million times, please!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    that is precisely the reason i level alts.
    I'm sure there are folks who do enjoy just the leveling part, but I'm fairly confident you're a small percentage of the player base. I haven't met many people who "love to level" and almost everyone I know has at least 3-5 alts. It's just a process that is required. Let me have a premade 90 and I'll never leveling again. And now with CRZ and let's all stand around and try to snipe mobs, even less of a reason.

    Here is what I would like to see changed to help me to want to level more characters.

    1. Remove heirloom gear exp.
    2. Increase npc mobs health and damage by at least 10%.
    3. Monk style daily quest (daily to increase exp by X% for x amount of time). I like the fact that as a monk I have my own area to go to I think that is very cool and every class should have something like that.
    4. Increase mob exp by ~30%.
    I honestly don't get this complaint at all. You don't have the will power to not wear heirlooms, and so you want everyone to be equally punished. If you TRULY love the leveling process, you would have no problem passing on the heirlooms. How can you LOVE leveling, yet feel you MUST have heirlooms ?

    Man up and join the http://WoWironman.com group. I hate leveling and I did it.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-09-05 at 05:28 PM.

  10. #30
    Mechagnome Stevecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    504
    So all these people who "love leveling alts" won't mind if blizzard puts a pay feature in for people who don't want to level alts and want to skip straight to 85, 90, 100 or whatever it is at the time. I mean, if you enjoy it, great! A lot of people don't. This feature won't take the fun away from you, as you still can enjoy the leveling process while, the ones who don't enjoy leveling for the 5th or 6th+ time can bypass it.

    I heard someone mention an ideal years ago that said something about allowing our mains a way to earn a certain percentage of experience for alts. For example, doing stuff at max level will get you a small percentage to use for an alt. I thought it was a good thought.
    Last edited by Stevecow; 2013-09-05 at 05:38 PM.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

  11. #31
    Warchief Fullmetal89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Between the Spiral and Anti-Spiral dimensions.
    Posts
    2,028
    Leveling isn't for everyone, I personally love leveling up a new toon. Don't know why but I always tend to have more fun leveling through dungeons/pvp then I ever do endgame. Which is why I'm so bored with the game now since I already have a 90 with every class.

    Btw I started leveling toons back in Vanilla and I have to say its never been easier/funner than it is now.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
    -
    Issac Asimov, Foundation.

    Pokémon Safari: Rock Type (Magcargo/Barbaracle/Dwebble).
    FC: 0447-5673-4977
    MAL PROFILE

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer Haidaes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BUoE - Bureaucratic Union of Europe
    Posts
    3,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Problem: Leveling was fun the first time around, a bit less fun the second time around on your first alt, a tad dull on your third, then boring, then please kill me, etc etc.

    Blizzard's solution: Heirlooms in every slot, reduce XP required to ding by 90%, make mobs die from being given a stern look, make instances 10 minuter zerg fests. Basically make it as quick and brain-dead as possible.

    Better solution: Make the world a living and exciting place. Add events. Make the world constantly changing. Make it change from what players do to it. I believe WoW has the best world and lore of all MMO's out there at their disposal but it's going COMPLETELY to waste. If I could change one thing that would improve WoW it would be this. Have everyone out in Azeroth experiencing and changing the world, meeting new friends and making new enemies in world PvP. Instead of sitting like a bunch of brain-dead chickens in capitals trying to pick gear off a conveyor belt in order to increase their ilevel.

    Thoughts?
    Do you even realize what constantly changing means? Events and stuff? To make it somehwat interesting (no, peusdo-randomly generated kill 5 of x quests are not interesting, if there is not story behind it) it needs to be programmed like every other piece of content in the game and therefore takes time from the developers. While it sure is a way to add cheap content it is not good content. How did it work out in D3? How many people enjoyed doing the same zones over and over again until they finally reached the last difficulty? This is the stuff that people usually want when they cry for dynamic content, but all of this is an illusion, because someone still has to programm each and every option that can happen later, and I don't really see the point of having 5 versions of a level 87 quest when you could have 5 diffrent quests for the time investment.

    Changing the world through player actions is also something that is easier said than done. The leveling zones tell a story, if you make random shit happen because your faction is outnumbered 1 to 6 it probably changes the story the zone tells, same is true if your server lacks the people to do stuff. Some might enjoy this, others prefer the leveling content as one canon piece (yes I do realize that our characters are not canon).

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Interesting mind set. Are you saying the sole purpose of alts is to enjoy the awesome experience of leveling ? Once you level a toon, does everyone sit around and say "Gosh I want to do that all over again" ?
    Repetitive play is part and parcel of MMO's, and end game here hinges entirely on repetitive play, from dailies to raid bosses. Shouldn't leveling be a fun process that you'd look forward to doing more than once?
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Repetitive play is part and parcel of MMO's, and end game here hinges entirely on repetitive play, from dailies to raid bosses. Shouldn't leveling be a fun process that you'd look forward to doing more than once?
    Time for MMO's to evolve. Killing 5 boars and collecting 10 snouts was never fun past the first 10-20 levels. I'm all for some kind of dynamic leveling, I just don't think it's going to happen in this cycle. First Person shooters have adopted a leveling system of sorts, but the leveling up process is doing the parts you actually like and that's playing the game and since the opponents are always varying it's not the pure repetitive style that is accepted without question in MMOs.

    Making leveling 20%,30%, 50% harder\Slower\more tedious doesn't really seem like much of a fix to "leveling sucks" "Don't like it, don't roll alts" seems even less ideal to keeping people interested in a game once they are max level and waiting for raid resets

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Time for MMO's to evolve. Killing 5 boars and collecting 10 snouts was never fun past the first 10-20 levels. I'm all for some kind of dynamic leveling, I just don't think it's going to happen in this cycle. First Person shooters have adopted a leveling system of sorts, but the leveling up process is doing the parts you actually like and that's playing the game and since the opponents are always varying it's not the pure repetitive style that is accepted without question in MMOs.

    Making leveling 20%,30%, 50% harder\Slower\more tedious doesn't really seem like much of a fix to "leveling sucks" "Don't like it, don't roll alts" seems even less ideal to keeping people interested in a game once they are max level and waiting for raid resets
    The FPS experience you speak of is available in game already in terms of PvP. The rest of the game isn't subject to the same sort of behavior however.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  16. #36
    Mechagnome Dragore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I honestly don't get this complaint at all. You don't have the will power to not wear heirlooms, and so you want everyone to be equally punished. If you TRULY love the leveling process, you would have no problem passing on the heirlooms. How can you LOVE leveling, yet feel you MUST have heirlooms ?

    Man up and join the http://WoWironman.com group. I hate leveling and I did it.
    I never said I love the leveling process. My issues is the fact that blizzard regards leveling as nothing and they might as well just start everyone at max level or close to it. My ideas/opinions are based off of what I have experienced in other games that made the leveling experience for me more enjoyable. I feel like the goal in leveling is to increase your characters power/story that leads to 90 instead of just getting to 90 because everything else below is meaningless. To reiterate, I never said I loved leveling Mr Ironman.

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer Haidaes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BUoE - Bureaucratic Union of Europe
    Posts
    3,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Time for MMO's to evolve. Killing 5 boars and collecting 10 snouts was never fun past the first 10-20 levels. I'm all for some kind of dynamic leveling, I just don't think it's going to happen in this cycle. First Person shooters have adopted a leveling system of sorts, but the leveling up process is doing the parts you actually like and that's playing the game and since the opponents are always varying it's not the pure repetitive style that is accepted without question in MMOs.
    That is leveling with battle grounds and if you talk about the single player portions of certain games its grinding in a story driven enviroment, which is like questing without the need (at least sometimes) to hand in the quest. I never really got why people enjoy leveling in the muliplayer parts of their shooters, it's just stupid gating to draw the whole ordeal out and make you play the game longer.

  18. #38
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon City
    Posts
    3,661
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Thoughts are that you'll get an influx of derps saying that leveling was never fun, or never hard, just tedious, bla bla yadda. Personally I think leveling needs to be made challenging again, the absurd ease of it is why folks consider it such a bore. And if you don't like it, don't roll alts.
    So that you make the entry barrier even higher? Is is really necessary for a game?

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That is leveling with battle grounds and if you talk about the single player portions of certain games its grinding in a story driven enviroment, which is like questing without the need (at least sometimes) to hand in the quest. I never really got why people enjoy leveling in the muliplayer parts of their shooters, it's just stupid gating to draw the whole ordeal out and make you play the game longer.
    Problem is WoW's PVP is pretty horrid at the different levels. You can run in as a Prot Warrior and 1 shot people with Shield slam, get to the next bracket and you're getting 1 shotted by rogue's ambush.

    Prior to Call of Duty and Battlefield adding levels, you simply played a shooter and enjoyed it. I played Counter-Strike for almost 4 years, no leveling, no ranks, just playing the game. You don't level in a shooter to draw the game out. After all, they are all free to play.

  20. #40
    Unless you keep making new alts with the same class, leveling is learning your new spells and rotations. Not many people instantly know all the spells foor a new class at 90 with it's tricks and specials, most people need a little time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •