1. #1
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,359

    Retro-Lore: Shattrath City

    I've heard the same thing from many of my friends who played the game during BC. "Stupid Shattrath quest, takes forever and is boring." And yet I bet that none of them had ever actually read the quest. I would assume many people on here probably hadn't either. I know before I got into the lore in a serious capacity that I did not. But once I did, I found a new respect for the quest, and that is what I decided to record today. For those who did not know, the quest tells the (basic) story of Shattrath City and how the Aldor and Scryers came to be. An interesting piece of lore, at least in my opinion. You can see it here:



    My question is: Are there any quests you've done that you initially ignored/disliked but found a respect for later on? And Im always interested in quest chains that are lorefilled to do a video on, any suggestions would be welcome!
    Men, you've trained for this. You're among the elite. You are Skyfire men! This is the ship that took down Deathwing. You think some raggedy little Horde outpost stands a chance against the pride of the Alliance fleet? NO! Those green dirtbags down there plagued your homes in Southshore, laid siege to your children in Redridge, and massacred every man, woman and child in Theramore. It. Is. PAYBACK TIME!
    Sky Admiral Rogers for High Queen. Remember Theramore!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I've heard the same thing from many of my friends who played the game during BC. "Stupid Shattrath quest, takes forever and is boring." And yet I bet that none of them had ever actually read the quest. I would assume many people on here probably hadn't either. I know before I got into the lore in a serious capacity that I did not. But once I did, I found a new respect for the quest, and that is what I decided to record today. For those who did not know, the quest tells the (basic) story of Shattrath City and how the Aldor and Scryers came to be. An interesting piece of lore, at least in my opinion. You can see it here:
    People said that because they had to do it more than once. Doing that quest more than once, at the time, was a complete bore. It's STILL a bore, for that matter. Plus, if you get distracted, you lose your companion and have to start all over. Lore doesn't save this quest, I'm afraid.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  3. #3
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,798
    I read it the first time. It was interesting, sure.
    But now it's just tedious, boring, and it drags on. I haven't actually done the quest again since WotLK.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Plus, if you get distracted, you lose your companion and have to start all over.
    Exactly the issue. Just like following that spirit wolf to the Mag'har in Hellfire Peninsula.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,856
    An 8 minute tour of the city you have no means of skipping, that you can't alt-tab out of, and it's way too easy to lose track of the guide and be forced to start over - the quest has some terribly glaring issues to it.

    The lore's great though, but that means nothing for the quality of the quest.

  5. #5
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    People said that because they had to do it more than once. Doing that quest more than once, at the time, was a complete bore. It's STILL a bore, for that matter. Plus, if you get distracted, you lose your companion and have to start all over. Lore doesn't save this quest, I'm afraid.
    Well I disagree, but I can understand the frustration.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Exactly the issue. Just like following that spirit wolf to the Mag'har in Hellfire Peninsula.
    I donno, this one particular argument I never understood. Its not like the game is asking you be super duper involved. You're just following an NPC :P
    Men, you've trained for this. You're among the elite. You are Skyfire men! This is the ship that took down Deathwing. You think some raggedy little Horde outpost stands a chance against the pride of the Alliance fleet? NO! Those green dirtbags down there plagued your homes in Southshore, laid siege to your children in Redridge, and massacred every man, woman and child in Theramore. It. Is. PAYBACK TIME!
    Sky Admiral Rogers for High Queen. Remember Theramore!

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

    I donno, this one particular argument I never understood. Its not like the game is asking you be super duper involved. You're just following an NPC :P
    Except it does require your full attention, or you'll lose it and have to start over.

  7. #7
    That's the point, you're just following an NPC

    For eight minutes

    Who here plays video games so that they can walk slowly behind someone?

  8. #8
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,359
    I never said it didn't require your attention. Its just not super involved. You follow an NPC. Shouldn't exactly be hard to do in an MMO haha.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Who here plays video games so that they can walk slowly behind someone?
    Because there's also story happening? I agree with the alt complaint, but people seem to be ignoring a part of the quest. The actual main part of the quest.
    Men, you've trained for this. You're among the elite. You are Skyfire men! This is the ship that took down Deathwing. You think some raggedy little Horde outpost stands a chance against the pride of the Alliance fleet? NO! Those green dirtbags down there plagued your homes in Southshore, laid siege to your children in Redridge, and massacred every man, woman and child in Theramore. It. Is. PAYBACK TIME!
    Sky Admiral Rogers for High Queen. Remember Theramore!

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Auxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,207
    I wish they brought back enemy factions like the Scryers and Aldor. D:
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I never said it didn't require your attention. Its just not super involved. You follow an NPC. Shouldn't exactly be hard to do in an MMO haha.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because there's also story happening? I agree with the alt complaint, but people seem to be ignoring a part of the quest. The actual main part of the quest.
    But that's the point. If you already know it, you have no desire to read it again. Quests SHOULD be interactive, especially if they're going to take 8 and a half minutes of focus to complete.

  11. #11
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,421
    the lore is good but i agree with most other people, the 2nd time around its pretty pointless

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Because there's also story happening? I agree with the alt complaint, but people seem to be ignoring a part of the quest. The actual main part of the quest.

    And I heard the story on my first character. You seem to be ignoring the part that people already know the story, there's no need to waste 8 minutes of my time on every alt.

  13. #13
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,359
    Not at all, I already stated I understood the alt complaint :P

    I guess I won't try arguing with people on this topic. I understand the frustration and was merely trying to express a newfound respect for the quest after becoming somebody who enjoys the story.
    Men, you've trained for this. You're among the elite. You are Skyfire men! This is the ship that took down Deathwing. You think some raggedy little Horde outpost stands a chance against the pride of the Alliance fleet? NO! Those green dirtbags down there plagued your homes in Southshore, laid siege to your children in Redridge, and massacred every man, woman and child in Theramore. It. Is. PAYBACK TIME!
    Sky Admiral Rogers for High Queen. Remember Theramore!

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Beautiful city of Duwang
    Posts
    5,673
    The lore "escort" quest would be so much better if you had 2 more options
    - Just give me information for tourist printed on paper
    - I don't give a jack shit about history of that city.

    Blizz really need to start putting little options like that into quests.

  15. #15
    Having done it 11 times, yeah it gets bloody annoying and I am very fond of lore. A somewhat similar annoyance is the Caverns of Time and having to follow the Custodian there. The annoying part of both is that you also require to do both to unlock other quests.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

  16. #16
    I don't even go to that quest anymore lol I ignore the hell out of it. It was like a staple quest I feel for Bc because it introduced you to the amazing city, but it was annoying, STILL IS annoying because it can easily bug out, and the story usually takes a long time and people with the attention spam of a squirrel probably don't want to walk around an entire city reading paragraphs.

  17. #17
    I read all the missions the first time. I LOVED the first time with the escort mission is shattar so much great story. But any times after that it was horrible
    (i am 20 and dyslexic so yes i suck at spelling)

  18. #18
    That quest is just awkward for draenei characters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •