Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

This is why people hate the police

http://www.policemisconduct.net/

Take a gander at these stories.

We are supposed to respect and obey these criminals and thugs? I think I would prefer the KGB. At least they had a clear agenda.
    Then there are all the hero worship people who think LEO's are just the best thing and are BETTER than citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    The police force has a bad tendency to attract bullies and people who were losers in high school and feel like they have to take it out on everything, like they have something to prove. Not all cops are bad, but a big chunk of them are.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Some cops are bad...therefore all cops are bad? Where's the website showing instances of cops doing good things or going above and beyond to help? Yeah, thought so.

I predict another clusterfuck incoming.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Maybe you should just check your police force better. I can only think of one major incident my country has had which is like 20 years ago. It involved officers hog tying a mentally ill man because he was attacking them and they threw him in the back of a police van and the man apparently suffocated on the way back.

Too many "Herp derp the police are shitheads"-threads.

Big kudos to the police, thanks for doing a good job! /thumbs up

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with police officers(At least in the U.S) is they forget their job is to "Serve and Protect" and not act as an intimidating figure that keeps people from doing anything wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    but a big chunk of them are.
    And what do you base that off of? The few stories that come out every couple of weeks? That's a good sample size for the millions of cops?

Please. It's always the dicks that get noticed, and while I think that police forces should maintain civil standards above the rest of the population, don't pretend that because a few are bad, that are "big chunk" of them are.

“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” - Gandhi

He talks about humanity, but I think it applies here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Some cops are bad...therefore all cops are bad? Where's the website showing instances of cops doing good things or going above and beyond to help? Yeah, thought so.

This..

Most politicians are also equally as terrible, but it doesn't mean none of them have a good agenda..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
    The problem with police officers(At least in the U.S) is they forget their job is to "Serve and Protect" and not act as an intimidating figure that keeps people from doing anything wrong.
    Oh, they remember to "serve and protect" - their family and their friends. Beyond that, the vast majority have severe control issues and use their "power" to take advantage of the average citizen.

The police force has a bad tendency to attract bullies and people who were losers in high school and feel like they have to take it out on everything, like they have something to prove. Not all cops are bad, but a big chunk of them are.
    Could not have said it better myself.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post
    http://www.policemisconduct.net/

Take a gander at these stories.

We are supposed to respect and obey these criminals and thugs? I think I would prefer the KGB. At least they had a clear agenda.
    Then there are all the hero worship people who think LEO's are just the best thing and are BETTER than citizens.
    Have you personally met every single police officer?. Then how can you generalize a group of people based on isolated instances?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post

It's the same on the WoW forums, to make a nerdy example. You don't hear about the good things because the good things are normal and expected. However, you will hear about every bad thing that happens because that's different from the norm or the expected. So, since you only hear about the bad and not the good, it seems like the bad is much more prevalent than it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What really pisses me off is when a Police officer is "Investigated" he gets FULL pay during that time. My wife failed her cursory drug screen and was suspended until the detailed one came back clean. She got her back pay but was not paid during the suspension. Freakin Cops should be treated the same. Cause as it stands that one in the blog arrested for molesting a Juvenile will get his pay REGARDLESS of being found guilty or Innocent. he should be suspended pay until he is innocent THEN back paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then it's time to have your politicians make some changes, because what you describe isn't anywhere near what other countries require from a person that aims to go the path of becoming a police man/woman. Very often in those countries they are not called police officer either. Officer is rather a military rank, and not used for non-military purpose, just to weave that in as well.
    With that said, bad apples are in every job field. There is not a single job field that has equally high quality amongst the people that work in that field. Coming from there, it's better to start thinking about what one says, instead of throwing around generalizations like they going out of style..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Let's say on average 10 incidents per week, based on your website, so 520 per year. According to Wikipedia, in 2012 there were roughly 765,000 police officers with the power to make arrests. Assuming each of the 520 incidents was done by a different officer, that is approximately 0.07% of the police that are bad. I imagine there is a greater chance of a random man being a rapist than a random cop matching the image of police your website is promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Maybe you should just check your police force better. I can only think of one major incident my country has had which is like 20 years ago. It involved officers hog tying a mentally ill man because he was attacking them and they threw him in the back of a police van and the man apparently suffocated on the way back.
    It's not the incidents you hear about that should worry you, it's the incidents you don't hear about. The ones that are denied and covered up, the thousands of smaller incidents that never make it to public knowledge.

Like in my town for example, dozens of people including a group of 13 year old girls and even random passers by were beaten and pepper sprayed by police because they thought a riot was going on or something... (the reality is that people were on their way home on a saturday night and happened to pass by eachother in the town center) the incident was never investigated. The police deny it ever happened.

Basically this.

I have a family member who matches your EXACT first sentence to a tee... and is somebody I refuse to ever talk to or be in the same room with. I actually smiled when I found out he had a heart attack recently...

But it does NOT sour me on what the police are. Not every police officer is out wanting to just finding an excuse to beat somebody down - and I have met PLENTY of officers who have been the most accommodating and nice helpful people I've met. While I do believe there are plenty of corrupt jackasses for cops - I won't go so far to say "a big chunk of them are"

10+ Year Old Account
    The quality of the police in a given area tends to be directly related to the quality of the citizens. Not saying this is a good thing, but it is a thing. Where I am, we get very good cops. We have programs setup to help them buy houses and become part of the community. They tend to not harass their friends and neighbors.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Is this the generalizations-ahoy-ship?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    There's always going to be some bad eggs. That isn't going to make me into one of those paranoid people who hates on the police and acts like they're just "the man" who out to get me and oppress poor me. People who have an attitude as if they must fight back against police like a mad 12 year old who'd mom said no...

10+ Year Old Account
    Statistics - how do they work?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.