Deleted

Lightbulb Proposal: Public Quests

Alright I've been thinking. Years ago, I used to play a Free MMO called Perfect World. From this game, I liked a feature that I haven't seen before in a MMO (at least as a whole). It was called "Public Quest" and I think it would be a good addition to wow, due to game's rich playerbase. What was that? Mostly like the Wow's scenario's with some key differences:
    • There is an Island. On this island there are many normal Monsters, many Elite-Hard Monsters, and a Boss. Players went there and took a quest abput killing these monsters. 200 Normals, 50 Elites and 2 Bosses. The quest's objectives however a shared among the people who were on the island and took the quest too. For instance, if someone kills a monster, the objective count increases for everyone that has the quest even if they are not in the same group. Any player would join the quest and start from where the others left before he joined. The Objectives are linear, first kill 200 normals and the start killing the elites and so on. So everyone who gets the quest start fighting for a common goal.
    • During the fight, you have access to the rounds Leaderboard. The Leaderboard has the names of everyone who has the quest. Next to the names, are displayed a number that represents your contributions to the fight. If you have more contributions than someone else, you will be placed above him in the Leaderboard. The one that has the most contributions, is placed on the top. The leaderboards are updated to the new contibution data periodically during the fight.
    • What can increase your contribution? If you are a DPS, your total damage you have done so far. If you are a healer, the total healing you did so far. So if you do good damage during the fight, you will be placed high. The contributions are not an average of you total damage. They accumulate. This means that if you are first in the leaderboard cause you did the most damage among the others and you stop for a while, the others might surpass you cause they continue fighting droping you to the second place or worse. If you stay out of fight for more, you may have hard time to get back on top.
    • Why would someone want to be first on the Leaderboard? Rewards. When the round is over and the quest objectives are completed, the players go back to then npc where they took the quest to give it in. Depending on your amount of contribution, you are rewarded with XP and gold. If you had huge contributions you will get huge XP and gold. If in the whole fight you just hit a monster, you will get nearly nothing. But there's more. If you are among the top 4 (or 5, I don't remember) you are rewarded with even more XP and gold according to your place.
    • After the round is over, there is a 1 minute wait until the next round begins. The contributions are reset and you can take the quest again.

TL: DR
    • Is like WoW Scenarios, but Open World where anyone can join and there is no limit. Shared Objectives among the players that join.
    • During the fight, you are placed in a Leaderboard (which you can access), and take place depending on your total Damage/Healing you do.
    • By the end of the Quest, you get rewards(Xp,Gold, etc) depending on your total Damage/Healing you did and your place in the Leaderboard.
    • The quest is repetable.
    • You can join anytime, and have the same Objectives with the people who started in the beginning. However you will have presure yourself to climb the Leaderboard since others have Accumulated Total DMG/Healing before you.

What matters is your place in the Leaderboard. In essence, is a DPS race where being the best is actually rew.

So guys, what do you think of that? Would you join such event if they added it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift has that I like it. It's very optional and I could see it being useful for people.

So yeah, I'd join up with that stuff.

Yes, please.

Let's bring dynamic pve/pvp zone events too... and 'autojoin public raid' for stuff like the public quests & world bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    These actually sounds cool, these would add more competition to the game

Rating people by damage/healing is not a fair measure since it is without context.
    I see difficulty in your joining putting you right at the start, in how do you handle those people at different stages at the same time in the same location ? More awkward phasing, and moving it out of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Rating people by damage/healing is not a fair measure since it is without context.
    I see difficulty in your joining putting you right at the start, in how do you handle those people at different stages at the same time in the same location ? More awkward phasing, and moving it out of the world.
    Well everytime someone new comes in he will be in the same stages that the others, separate the rewards by stages, and how could you rate people?

Rate them with these : (healing done + damage done) / time in the event

Was really the only feature I miss from Warhammer Online. Not sure why Blizzard didn't pick this feature up, but my guess is its hard to integrate into their old technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shared progress, not quests, have existed since Vanilla: Go look at the progress counter in Silithus..

Also, in TBC, when v2.4 was released, SWP was gated. These gates was opened by people doing dailies. Each segment of the insance required a fixed (unknown to players) number of quests to be completed. There was webpages to track the progression of the different servers.

In v5.2, there was shared progress on Isle of Thunder, to open the gates..

It's far from an unused concept in WoW..
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2013-09-07 at 10:58 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    I'd like it, but I fear tagging makes this concept pretty much obsolete.

Deleted
    Sounds awsome really if done right, good idea ! Id like to see it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we had something smiliar in wow....collect 150 dust in silithus. We could also say that isle of gankalas and isle of thunder were kinda same (but in more crappy way).
    Don't sweat the details!!!