View Poll Results: what do you think of russia sending in warships?

Voters
182. This poll is closed
  • good move to save civilians

65 35.71%
  • bad move because it could lead to a conflict on accident

22 12.09%
  • russia wants to flex its muscles, maybe even start a small skirmish with the US

66 36.26%
  • other

29 15.93%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Harsh winter in the US most definetly takes many lives in the US as well, just undocumented.
    Wait - American statement, loss of life and no proof. I know this game is the US going to declare war on Winter next?

Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    Wait - American statement, loss of life and no proof. I know this game is the US going to declare war on Winter next?
    This just in:

Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    My intelligence experts have assured me that Santa Claus is implementing a buildup of Blizzards of Mass Destruction. We will meet this threat with a pre-emptive strike against his polar bear army.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Seems like a silly question to ask
    Not if you look at history.

The sinking of the Maine helped push the US into the Spanish-American War.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1)

The Maine is best known for her catastrophic loss in Havana Harbor on the evening of 15 February 1898. Sent to protect U.S. interests during the Cuban revolt against Spain, she exploded suddenly without warning and sank quickly, killing nearly three quarters of her crew. The cause and responsibility for her sinking remained unclear after a board of inquiry. Nevertheless, popular opinion in the U.S., fanned by inflammatory articles printed in the "Yellow Press" by William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer, blamed Spain.
    The Gulf of Tonkin Incident helped propel the US into the Vietnam War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

On August 2, 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox, while performing a signals intelligence patrol as part of DESOTO operations, engaged three North Vietnamese Navy torpedo boats of the 135th Torpedo Squadron.[1] A sea battle resulted, in which the Maddox expended over two hundred and eighty 3-inch and 5-inch shells, and in which four USN F-8 Crusader jet fighter bombers strafed the torpedo boats. One US aircraft was damaged, one 14.5 mm round hit the destroyer, three North Vietnamese torpedo boats were damaged, and four North Vietnamese sailors were killed and six were wounded; there were no U.S. casualties.

The outcome of these two incidents was the passage by Congress of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which granted President Lyndon B. Johnson the authority to assist any Southeast Asian country whose government was considered to be jeopardized by "communist aggression." The resolution served as Johnson's legal justification for deploying U.S. conventional forces and the commencement of open warfare against North Vietnam.
    So, there are TWO examples of warships entering a theatre for non-war purposes, and then some kind of incident or event takes place, by accident or miscommunication or whatever, and it pushes nations to go to war.

The Maine was not sent to start a war, just to monitor the Cuban revolt. The Maddox was not sent to start a war, just to perform signals intelligence. So given this history, it is fair to ask about the wisdom of Russia sending warships into the Syrian theatre where US warships are ready to attack. Russia might say its about rescuing civilians, but...

Accidents happen. This news makes me nervous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    During 1979--2002, a total of 16,555 deaths in the United States, an average of 689 per year (range: 417--1,021), were attributed to exposure to excessive natural cold (International Classification of Diseases, Ninth and Tenth Revision ICD-9 codes E901.0, E901.8, and E901.9; ICD-10 code X31) (Figure 1) (4). Annual death rates were highest before 1990 (range: 0.3--0.4 per 100,000 population), then decreased to 0.2 beginning in 1991, except for an increase to 0.3 in 2000.

In 2002, a total of 646 hypothermia-related deaths were reported, with an annual death rate of 0.2 per 100,000 population. [...]In 2008 108,500 people died of hypothermia in the US again related to the cost of electricity.

States with the greatest overall death rates for hypothermia in 2002 were Alaska (3.0), New Mexico (0.9), North Dakota (0.9), and Montana (0.8).
    It is suggested, though, that hypothermia is underreported as a cause of death, particularly among the elderly, who are more susceptible to it. And it's claimed that hypothermia deaths track heating costs:
    Approximately 600 elderly people die in the USA each year from hypothermia. Unfortunately, the prevalence of deaths from hypothermia tracks the cost of energy. Elderly people on a fixed income may cut back on heating during winter months if they feel they cannot afford heating bills.Since the housing collapse and economic depression these figures rose dramatically.

For persons in their 80's and 90's, an environmental temperature below 65 degrees Fahrenheit (F) causes a serious drop in body temperature, precipitating a drop in the body's core temperature to 95 degrees (F) (35 degrees Celsius) or less.

Now compared to the thousands of British people that froze to death, US looks good, but yet again I will mentioned that these deaths, especially the minority and homeless numbers are undocumented in the US.

So considering that Russia as a country holds some of the harshest winters on the planet, as well as the most ammount of land on the planet, their statistics would be slightly higher comparably. Pop of Us = 314mil Pop of Russia = 143mil

Compared to a country like Canada I was surprized how poorly undocumented these numbers are in the US, it is pathetic.

US sends ships to syria same did russia. US want to kill all muslim Russia want to protect them it's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ABEEnr2 View Post
    US sends ships to syria same did russia. US want to kill all muslim Russia want to protect them it's easy.
    When did the Muslim holocaust start at the hands of the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sorry but that just does not make sense. Russians have even more reason to hate the muslim population considering that historically the Ottomans were ruthless, especially to the Slavs and a majority of the eastern European populations. Look at all the subjugation Russia is incuring into their mostly muslim southern provinces, it is ongoing an ruthless.

The US primarily lets other islamic factions do the dirty work for them, this is why they are currently funding an islamic extremist group in Syria which has close ties to Al Quaida. They did this with Afghanistan, Albania, Iraq, etc...
    What these factions cant accomplish, their dirty bombs and airstrikes to the rest. In the long-term sanctions finish off the job.

so wrong , Russia wants to protect the christians of Syria , US doesnt care if the christian population suffers in midle east . Syrian rebels have ties to al-Qaeda . US only cares for israel interest and nothing more .

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware, these movements are not new, and have been known about for months. Well before the current round of shit-tossing. Standard troop rotation IIRC. Although they no doubt are gonna be sharing any intel they have/gather with Syria in light of current events i'm sure.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    When did the Muslim holocaust start at the hands of the US?
    when US was starting their NWO they started that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    so wrong , Russia wants to protect the christians of Syria , US doesnt care if the christian population suffers in midle east . Syrian rebels have ties to al-Qaeda . US only cares for israel interest and nothing more .
    US always cares about israel cause 70% of US goverment is jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    I am sorry but that just does not make sense. Russians have even more reason to hate the muslim population considering that historically the Ottomans were ruthless, especially to the Slavs and a majority of the eastern European populations. Look at all the subjugation Russia is incuring into their mostly muslim southern provinces, it is ongoing an ruthless.

The US primarily lets other islamic factions do the dirty work for them, this is why they are currently funding an islamic extremist group in Syria which has close ties to Al Quaida. They did this with Afghanistan, Albania, Iraq, etc...
    What these factions cant accomplish, their dirty bombs and airstrikes to the rest. In the long-term sanctions finish off the job.
    True.

10+ Year Old Account
    when US was starting their NWO they started that.
    When was this?

US always cares about israel cause 70% of US goverment is jewish
    Your percentages are quite a bit off. But, we also have gays and Muslims in government. How many Jews, Muslim or gay people are in Russian government? How about former KGB members in Russian government?

True.
    You know what else is true, Russia fighting Muslims in Chechnya and having terrorist attacks as a result.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    When was this?
    I think he means the formations of Guantanamo Bay detention camp, after 911.

Your percentages are quite a bit off. But, we also have gays and Muslims in government. How many Jews, Muslim or gay people are in Russian government? How about former KGB members in Russian government?
    The US is a mosaic of cultures...Russia ...is for Russian people and yes mostly made up of Russian Orthodox individuals since they are a vast majority, a few muslims here and there...very few. Letting a muslim politician run things would be blasphemy, an utter insult. After 300+ years of Ottoman subjugation unto the slavic people we would rather die.

You know what else is true, Russia fighting Muslims in Chechnya and having terrorist attacks as a result.
    That is true...wow. At least it is within their own territories, they dont meddle as much as their western counterparts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You'd do well to not underestimate Putin's Russia. He's hell bent on bringing Russia back to the status of superpower and he's been modernizing Russia's military and streamlining its economy to do exactly that. Might not be a threat today, but give them another 10-15 years.
    Russia has talked big about improving the military for years, it has generally failed across the board at that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    You need to step out of this fantasy world you created for yourself. US did not have a single engagement since WW2 in which they were on par technologically with their opponent, they like to start fights with small countries who can't defend themselves.

It's true that US dominates power projection at sea with largest carrier fleet, main reason why Russian and say Chinese navy is more focused on having subs and other types of ships to counter this, not to mention Syria is just next to Russia basically, if anything does happen the battle would be over before any reinforcements would come for US.

To be honest, if Russia had balls (lack of which they showed many times before) they could play this really smart. The same way US claims regime used chemical weapons, Russians claim rebels did, so if and when attack starts Russians should simply bomb rebel positions, since US does not plan to intervene by ground force there would be no active force on the ground to take positions from regime forces. Syria & Russian win.
    The Russian Navy is no match for the US Navy. The ships the USN currently has in the Med can easily destroy the entire Black Sea Fleet without likely suffering a single loss. The bulk of the Russian fleet is split between the Northern Fleet and the Pacific Fleet, far away from the Med.

Deleted
    Do You know that Asaad is actually fighting those fundamental muslims who wants to take control over his country? Same did Kadaffi in Libia, same did Mubarak in Egypt, Hussein in Iraq etc. Those rebels are actually paid mercenaries and most of them are muslim fanatics (if there are any muslims who are NOT fanatics btw)
    U.S. are actually helping muslims to take control over the independent countries, for what purpose? No idea, maybe they think that those "barbarians" would be easier to cooperate with US, which is in my opinion plain stupid as we all know where religion fanaticism leads, soo....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    LOL....

I think this guy has been watching to many propaganda movies from the 50s. Stupid people like this really amaze me.

Have any of you actually seen the technological advances that Russia has? Their armor outclasses ours, their foot soldiers are on an equal footing to ours, they have absolutely MASSIVE oil reserves, just because they don't need to go attack other smaller countries like Iraq for the oil doesn't mean they're not a superpower.

We Americans are just brainwashed to think we're the "best", I'll tell you this, I do not want to see a war where Russia and the US are facing off. Would probably mean the end of the world as we know it.
    Their armor is at best on par with ours (and they only have ~800 T-90s as it is), and thier army still cannot shift over to a professional based force. Conscription is still the base of manpower, and they have yet to institute a solid NCO core and still have far too many officers. Point blank, in a conventional war, Russia stands no chance against either the US or China.

What about nepotism in the white house? I'd suggest leaving the topic of corruption in high government to the side for now; not a lot of people sitting around this table have a remotely clean slate in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by z3rK View Post
    Do You know that Asaad is actually fighting those fundamental muslims who wants to take control over his country? Same did Kadaffi in Libia, same did Mubarak in Egypt, Hussein in Iraq etc. Those rebels are actually paid mercenaries and most of them are muslim fanatics (if there are any muslims who are NOT fanatics btw)
    U.S. are actually helping muslims to take control over the independent countries, for what purpose? No idea, maybe they think that those "barbarians" would be easier to cooperate with US, which is in my opinion plain stupid as we all know where religion fanaticism leads, soo....
    US real plan is to make NEW world order and the coming of the antichrist thats what NWO is for and btw they dont give a damn about muslim

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Russia has over 1000 nuclear warheads on 300+ operational weapon systems, including impossible to suppress SLBM technology. You can make flag-waving, nonsensical statements all you want, but the 50th largest city in the United States is Mesa, AZ. Have you ever been to Mesa? It's a little pissant town. Now multiply the destruction of those 50 cities by 20. The United States cannot possibly defeat that opponent. Period. Are Russians willing to get into an exchange that destroys both countries? I can't answer that. I can tell you they're more willing than the United States. You're talking about a country where millions of soldiers charged German tanks with their bare hands because there weren't enough rifles to go around. If it took that type of sacrifice on the American side of that war, we would have surrendered. Now go eat that hot dog and apple pie under some 4th of July fireworks and dream about a fantasy world where the United States can win a war with Russia.
    Russia has had issues with thier SLBMs not working well during test launches, I would not count on them overly heavily...

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF people, Russia isn't going to attack us over Syria, they aren't even our enemies anymore (though they aren't quite allies either.) If we survived the crisises of the Cold War without engaging each other, I'm pretty sure this stupid little conflict won't escalate either.
    Putin khuliyo

I find it funny how all the americans here laugh at Russia, when all they'd have to do is take down all the Mcdonalds in the US and the country would be no more