Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    the importance of flasks and pots have been lessened on the last two xpacs. As gaming becomes more casual and players cant be bothered, then they skip things like potions.

Whether to be a potionmaster or not is the same as always just supply and demand. Are there too many or too few to meet demand on your server and theres your answer.

flasks are much better. one time i transmuted 20 flasks of the warm sun.. ended up with 18 extra. that sure made my day.. almost doubled my profit margin and my mage still has like 100 flasks left on him.

Deleted
    Have all 3 Specs, and Potion mastery steams ahead on profit with ease simply down to the amount I produce when I start making a batch

Getting around 25% extra per 1000 pots (atleast on the last 3k pots I made) and just straight buying herbs from AH still give twice the money back.
    Just get 3 alch chars like the rest.

Deleted
    I sell hundreds of pots each day. They cost less than 2g each to make and i sell them for as much as 18g each, but normaly around 4-8g each.
    There is profit to be made but you have to sell A LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Zymonk View Post
    I sell hundreds of pots each day. They cost less than 2g each to make and i sell them for as much as 18g each, but normaly around 4-8g each.
    There is profit to be made but you have to sell A LOT!
    Doesn´t it really depend on your server. I am guessing on my entire server there are 5 guilds that even touched heroic modes at all, and only 1 guild that made a decent dent in them ( and that is 10 man). So in the end, there are probably maybe 30 people on my server that are ´potting´ for raids.

I constantly make nearly 10k each week from being pot master- especially with the new raids coming I have sooo many stockpiled.

People who raid at any decent level need pots- Most guilds do not provide pots it seems so people will buy maybe 20-30 per raid night
    Multiply that amount by raiding pool on your realm minus a % that would make their own.

A ton of gold, plus you have to remember, most will be elixir or transmute on realm, only 1-2 pot masters

I use mine to make my own dps pots, any procs are welcome + it's cheaper than buying them off AH.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Just saying I'm making a fuckton of gold off buying mats, making pots, and selling them.

I'm on a high pop realm, only buy herbs when they are cheap and sell pots when they are average/high, never low. I've been steadily making gold for awhile. I don't have to do anything else except check the AH twice a day and make pots. I'm hoarding them now for next week.

So, yeah. Easy yet reliable way to make money. There is always demand and it only increases when new content comes out, i.e. next week I'll be raking it in.

Oh, and just for reference, I proc tons of pots. I've averaged at around a 17%-18% proc rate. When you're making so many of them, that turns out to be a lot, not to mention the costs to make one pot is less than the cost of goods (at least on my server).
    I can second this, I make a ton of gold from healing pots and that's without being a pot master, as mines a transmute master, But people often look at what something sells for and assume that's its constant price, I've not known many items over the years to have a fixed, stable price, I buy a stack of Green Tea Leaf for 25-30g and that makes 20 pots, which I sell for around 65g, so a very good profit margin, for the past month or so the price has lowered, so I've just kept them in ym bank, the price will go up as it always does^^

Deleted
    Virmen's bite sells 3gold per potion on my server, so i dont even bother making them for myself and just buy them. The time it takes to craft them in bulk is too much for me if i can buy em 3g per on AH. thats why i have xmute mastery nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Not everyone chooses professions/specialties for profit potential.
    Basicly this, I have a pot master for making potions for guildies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    the importance of flasks and pots have been lessened on the last two xpacs. As gaming becomes more casual and players cant be bothered, then they skip things like potions.
    Could not disagree more with this.

We are an extremely casual guild (we are 12/12 though) and we use pots a lot, much more than we did in Cata for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    With the exception of the beginning of an expansion, I've never seen xmute to be more profitable over potions or flasks. Of course every server economy can be different, it's not at all uncommon for flasks and potions to cost the same as their mats, because the money that is made, is off the procs you get. On my server the mat costs for living steel is the same as one bar of living steel.

The proc rate on transmute, potions, and flasks are the same (I believe). However, where transmute falls short is you only get 1 shot a day at making it count. So far I'm on day 23 without one extra Living Steel bar. The mats on my server are equal to the cost of the living steel. I'm losing money. If I proc tomorrow, on day 24 and get 1 free bar that I sell for 600g, when you divide that over the 25 bars I will have, each bar only made me 24 gold a day, which is practically no profit at all. Whereas on potions and flasks, if you make enough, it's more guaranteed money in the long run.

Again, of course every server economy could be different. Living steel mats on your server may very well be considerably less than the bar of Living Steel.
    I sell Living Steel at 530g on the AH, which is about 500g after the cut, with the mats costing me a bit less than 400g. I make a 100g on each one, and I get a proc at least every four days-ish. Your situation seems very weird.

Heck, even without the proc on Living Steel transmute, I get plenty of procs on the trillium one, so I always get more Living Steel out of it anyway.
    Last edited by Shahad; 2013-09-10 at 01:23 PM.

Potion master is sick. I made a shit ton of gold off the primary stat potions.

I also got the 18 sec invis recipe, which procs from potion master too. They have made me so much money

Deleted
    I'm running as pot mater since cata and it has been very profitable on large pop realm. Many raiding guilds use pots and I can easily make 2g profit on one pot. I sell around 2000pots per week maybe more, depending on if I want to bother with it or not. Most pots sell on raiding days really fast. The proc rate is decent, from 100pots made I get usually 20-30 extra. I admit it's a slow way up, but it's going up nonetheless.

My alchemist used to be a potion master and it was great while i was grinding BGs for honor, all of my burst macros included whichever potion was needed so it was nice to be able to make a steady supply. I since switched back to xmute for extra cash, but if i had 2 alchemists i would personally still have a potion master for the 'funsies'

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    flasks are much better. one time i transmuted 20 flasks of the warm sun.. ended up with 18 extra. that sure made my day.. almost doubled my profit margin and my mage still has like 100 flasks left on him.
    If they are sitting in an inventory they are not making you anything. If anything this is a situation where you having too many is a detriment, I'd much rather take a small gold loss or sell at cost just to move items rather than having stuff just sitting there not selling.
    Last edited by Buildapanda; 2013-10-20 at 03:14 PM.

Choosing a profession for your main purely based on how much money you'll get is entirely pointless if you do more than sit in the auction house all day.

Having an alt that's a potion master is very useful if you come from a low pop server like mine where everything on the AH is overpriced.

It all comes down to how populated the server that you are playing on is.
    Professions scales down alot when the AH is overstocked

I'm making more money from my Potion master than my Transmute master. But it obviously requires much more work.