Worth upgrading now or waiting?

So my current PC runs things decently well, but it's a number of years old now and I'm getting ready to start upgrading things, that being said I have no problem waiting a few months if some new parts are coming out that will be better than what's currently out. I know that PC parts are always getting improved and such, but I don't even know where to find out about new things coming out, so I don't know if there's anything big coming soon.

I'm not worried about storage, really just the main parts. My budget is kind of whatever, I guess if I have to put a number on it I'd say $1200, but really if it goes over that it's not a huge deal. I mainly play games (DotA 2, WoW, quite a few new games that will be coming out, etc.), but I also do a lot of video editing, recording and possibly streaming in the future.

My current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-980X
    Motherboard: EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Video Card: GeForce FTX 570
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX
    Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
    Operating System: Windows 7

Before anyone asks why I have a 1000W power supply, it was cheap. Very cheap. Things that jump out to me are video card, and memory and CPU. I'm guessing going to a GTX 770 and 8GB of RAM and a newer CPU, but I really don't know very much about this type of thing.

Anyways, I'm curious what pieces should be replaced first or are furthest behind current generation parts. Would it make more sense just to do a whole new build instead of just upgrading individual parts? I have no problem building it, but I'm not very good at knowing what hardware is good/bad and how much of an upgrade things are. Trying to learn though!

I'm not really having any issues with this PC, it plays everything at a reasonable quality, so I really have no problem waiting a few months if there are some new things coming out soon that would be worth the wait. I'd rather spend $1500 in a few months for better parts than spending $1200 now for things that are gonna be replaceable real soon.

There was a huge jump in performance between Westmere (980X) and Sandy Bridge. CPU performance increases per generation have slowed down dramatically (most likely due to AMD's lackluster performance) so if a Haswell CPU is purchased now, its unlikely to become obsolete as quickly as GPUs. The i7-4770K is much faster than the i7-980X

There is also a huge jump in performance when going from the 570 to the 770, but 20nm GPUs are on the horizon with AMD's 9000 series (I think) and Nvidia's Maxwell 800 series. AMD's 9000 series comes first launching October-November. Nvidia's Maxwell series are expected to launch next March.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    There is also a huge jump in performance when going from the 570 to the 770, but 20nm GPUs are on the horizon with AMD's 9000 series (I think) and Nvidia's Maxwell 800 series. AMD's 9000 series comes first launching October-November. Nvidia's Maxwell series are expected to launch next March.
    I dont think the new series from AMD will be on 20 nm, the one launched in September/October. But it might be worth it waiting for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    There was a huge jump in performance between Westmere (980X) and Sandy Bridge. CPU performance increases per generation have slowed down dramatically (most likely due to AMD's lackluster performance) so if a Haswell CPU is purchased now, its unlikely to become obsolete as quickly as GPUs. The i7-4770K is much faster than the i7-980X

Oh wow those are some really big improvements. That's a pretty helpful website, never knew it existed, thanks for linking that.

As far as the Maxwell series goes for the GPU, is there any idea what the price might be? Will it be like $1000 like the Titan, or is it going to kind of replace the current gen and the prices will remain what they are now? I'm guessing the 700 series will drop in price while the 800 series is priced at what they are now, but I don't really know how it works when new models comes out for computer parts.