Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Good. I need new encryption for my porn. Apparently putting it in a folder on the desktop named "N64" wasn't a strong enough defense.
    Crap. I have all mine in a folder in /user/documents/thingsNSAshouldntlookat/jamesbond/

    that's not good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    Maybe I'm having a stroke.
    Poutine.

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral Haftepaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,011
    We need to create more encryption, the more encryption we have, the better our society will be!

  3. #23
    Warchief Meteoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Space Walrus
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Crap. I have all mine in a folder in /user/documents/thingsNSAshouldntlookat/jamesbond/

    that's not good enough?
    Try reverse psychology, put it in a folder "Hardcore homo midget porn"
    Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    I'm a Conservative American. I'm not able to peacefully protest my Government without being pepper sprayed. Liberal Democrats control my country and I'm being politically persecuted. Where's my asylum?

  4. #24
    Who downloads porn anymore?
    "Osbourne Cox? I thought you might be worried... About the security... Of your shit."
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  5. #25
    NSA dosn't need to break it. They just need to threaten Toshiba enough to build a backdoor for them.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Good. I need new encryption for my porn. Apparently putting it in a folder on the desktop named "N64" wasn't a strong enough defense.
    That's why you make it a HIDDEN folder. Honestly it's like you just discovered how to internet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    NSA dosn't need to break it. They just need to threaten Toshiba enough to build a backdoor for them.
    That's the most beautiful thing. There is no backdoor. Laws of physics and all that.

  7. #27
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    That's why you make it a HIDDEN folder. Honestly it's like you just discovered how to internet.
    Oh, they have the internet on computers now?!

  8. #28
    Warchief Meteoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Space Walrus
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

    That's the most beautiful thing. There is no backdoor. Laws of physics and all that.
    Yeah, they can just force them to give them the private key instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    I'm a Conservative American. I'm not able to peacefully protest my Government without being pepper sprayed. Liberal Democrats control my country and I'm being politically persecuted. Where's my asylum?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Oh, they have the internet on computers now?!
    God dammit. Every now and then a Homer quote pops up that still makes me snort-laugh out of nowhere.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How long do you need your data to be secret? I'm pretty sure 256 bit AES will survive brute force for much much much much much longer than the building you're currently sitting in.
    Well, you assume AES is secure, which we have no evidence to the contrary.

    If you have to brute force the key, then you'll be sitting around well past the end of the universe and not even be anywhere close to the keyspace.

    But your overall gist is correct.

    Guys, lets get this straight: symmetric key encryption (private key) is unbreakable.

    This doesn't mean that your data is safe because you Truecrypted it- anything from "camera watches you type password" to "tiny device reads your password" to "man hits you with bat until you tell password" are ways to attack this. But the algorithms are secure.

  11. #31
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,170
    No security is impenetrable. Doesn't anyone else remember Oracle's "unhackable" DB?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    it has become a sad state of affairs that people would rather look like brain washed idiots then admit they was wrong

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Yeah, they can just force them to give them the private key instead.
    Or someone could compromise your fab for the source or destination to leak the key physically.


    In any event, the advance is legit. But it doesn't do what the headline says any more than existing technology does. What it DOES offer is a solid engineering advance in this field.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Guys, lets get this straight: symmetric key encryption (private key) is unbreakable.
    Currently. It certainly won't stand forever as QC makes factoring large coprimes much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    In North Korea Dog eats man!

  14. #34
    Warchief Meteoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Space Walrus
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    Currently. It certainly won't stand forever as QC makes factoring large coprimes much faster.
    Can't break the laws of physics.
    Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    I'm a Conservative American. I'm not able to peacefully protest my Government without being pepper sprayed. Liberal Democrats control my country and I'm being politically persecuted. Where's my asylum?

  15. #35
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Banned because I'm Badass!
    Posts
    3,294
    I need to buy some toshiba stock.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sounds like the tech's pretty limited.

    What should be more interesting is the other side of the coin; quantum computing itself. If we crack that nut (and we're damn close), wave goodbye to standard encryption. The most complicated encryption methods we have, that would withstand brute force methods for longer than the heat-death of the universe, would fall very quickly before a quantum computer, due to the same concepts.
    Technically by definition quantum computers can't work as a stable system. The only way it works is if you isolate the system so it can't be observed. Assuming you can pull that off and still pull calculations out, you have no means to ascertain those calculations have any degree of integrity unless you double check them with a known system that you have some heavy degree of confidence in. To top it off the concept in and of itself is an engineering nightmare, debugging and troubleshooting doesn't exist for a quantum computer, because there is no bookkeeping for the intermediate steps from input to output. So when something does go wrong, you can only say it went wrong, you can never even guess as to why.

    I remember almost a decade ago first coming across the idea and thought it'd be pretty cool, but, yeah, just like entanglements, while cool in concept and enabling sci-fi writers to go nuts, in actual practically physics says you can't use this for anything super cool or practical. That is, so long as the quantum model holds, the moment its broken (and most people are pretty certain that while it works, it's a model of convenience and it only happens to work very well, like Newton's methods all the way up to the atomic scale) there may be a means to apply these things in fun methods.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

  17. #37
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    383
    So? If this became common usage they would just have to resort to old school cracking, as in always attack the weakest link. If the math is no longer the weakest then that means that it's YOU. So instead you'll be locked in a basement with some scarey looking people that will do unspeakable things to you until you tell them your password or what they want to know. Take your pick ...

    Concidering people cant even manage to install and use PGP properly I wouldn't really put this high on the list over things to worry about if I was the NSA.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Can't break the laws of physics.
    I'm talking about breaking RSA, not quantum cryptography. RSA is absolutely crackable, its just computationally unfeasible for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    In North Korea Dog eats man!

  19. #39
    The Lightbringer turskanaattori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,461
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Who downloads porn anymore?
    There's few good hentai sites for streaming. Hence, I download.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sounds like the tech's pretty limited.

    What should be more interesting is the other side of the coin; quantum computing itself. If we crack that nut (and we're damn close), wave goodbye to standard encryption. The most complicated encryption methods we have, that would withstand brute force methods for longer than the heat-death of the universe, would fall very quickly before a quantum computer, due to the same concepts.
    I was so disappointed when I found out the D-Wave 'Quantum Computer' wasn't actually a complete quantum computer. Even so, it's a good sign we're headed in the right direction!

    Avatar by Ely
    My deviantART

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •