Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Not only does your explanation for why the rule was made make no sense, you seem to be incapable of grasping that a privately owned company can make decisions about who to do business with. It doesn't matter if it's our rule, it's THEIR decision.
    the company wants to do A , but the us gov say no, but its not the US fault, because the company should stand up to power?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    You promise?
    For christs sake.

Hitler didn't even have the balls to attack you.

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    please show me the background checks on the 30-40 other students, they presumed from his ancestry.
    Sure! Let me get those confidential documents out for you right away as I'm sure almighty Google can pull it up!

/sarcasm

And you forgot 'where he was born.' And sure, ancestry can play a role in when determining who is eligible for security clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Kid that is from a problematic immigrant group wants to put himself above the preconceptions people have about them, he wants to work to get a place in society, he wants to educate himself and has worked hard to get good grades. Only to be shot down due to a policy in another country. I don't see him as a problem.
    And it is not a policy in another country, as you eloquently try to claim. It's a policy in place in the very country he tries to put himself above. And he still can do it, just not in that very job as such. He still can pursue the profession. Just not with that one path he thought to take.
    That regulation appears to be part of Trade arrangements, which are more than likely valid for the entire EU and North America. The USA is only a part of it. Likely because the path the boy chose would result in interaction with the USA.
    Again...... Problem zones/countries are on all our countries black lists. We do not want to repeat the mistakes that were made and lead to 9/11..
    Maybe you've been a little bit too young when 9/11 happened, and therefore cannot fully grasp it now in retrospect, because you couldn't back then either? You weren't in the US at that day and time, I assume? I was old enough, and I was in the country.. Even though quite some distance away NYC. And yet, it was a huge impact..
    When every city's downtown district, no matter how far away from NYC, gets shut down and turned into a military zone. When you suddenly see the fighter planes patrolling above you every 5 to 10 minutes, then you start thinking "shit, we may be in deep trouble"...
    I don't know if that is the case now like that for all US cities, but for Omaha, NE where I was, it was exactly like that.. We have Offutt Airbase in Omaha, one of the country's most important bases. It's the headquarter of the US strategic command (USSTRATCOM). It's also where they flew Bush that day, to hide him away in the bunkers there.
    So nope, I fully support everyone from the blacklisted countries to be limited in their freedom of choice to some degree. And like I pointed out earlier already, he is not 18 yet, and can therefore still be seen as a citizen of a blacklisted country as well. I don't know if Sweden allows dual citizenship. But until a person is 18, they are automatically that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post
    Quite a stretch to put that MLK quote into it?
    Why a stretch? Because MLK fought and stood for changes that are based on mishandling and abuse that goes on for hundreds of years.
    The case at hand however has something to do with a case that happened 12 years ago, and the region where the terrorists are from is still in unrest and plenty of hate against the Western countries..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    i think a more surprising thing is that Iran isn't on GB's banned list i mean if this is Americas fault they must be allowed to trade technologies with Iran right?
    Iraq != Iran.

This guy is (in tenuous technical way) from Iraq.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Again...... Problem zones/countries are on all our countries black lists. We do not want to repeat the mistakes that were made and lead to 9/11..
    Maybe you've been a little bit too young when 9/11 happened, and therefore cannot fully grasp it now in retrospect, because you couldn't back then either? You weren't in the US at that day and time, I assume?

I'm sorry but I don't see world trade center as that bad when you've got someone spouting stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Iraq != Iran.

This guy is (in tenuous technical way) from Iraq.
    oh i thought op said he was from Iran..... not that it makes to much of a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im still not quite sure what the purpose of this thread is, because you sure aren't going to have the U.S change policies because some kid in another country got denied something based on our rules. It's just a consequence that has to be dealt with.

yay butterfly effect!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    For christs sake.

Hitler didn't even have the balls to attack you.
    Now that was a low blow.... Since everyone knows how he supposedly only had one ball...

10+ Year Old Account

I'm sorry but I don't see world trade center as that bad when you've got someone spouting stuff like that.
    government commits crimes, other governments put sanctions on them, goverment can't fee its people and some die, blame the government that put sanctions on them rather than the government that commited the crimes. that about right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Now that was a low blow.... Since everyone knows how he supposedly only had one ball...
    Then Hitler didn't have a single testicle available to attack Sweden. *Fix'd
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
    Sure! Let me get those confidential documents out for you right away as I'm sure almighty Google can pull it up!

/sarcasm

And you forgot 'where he was born.' And sure, ancestry can play a role in when determining who is eligible for security clearance.
    you do know my point was that there were no background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nygma7 View Post
    From what I can gather, a probable summary of events:

1. Iraq is added to a Banned List, probably decades ago.
    2. Years later, a technology transfer is made from the US to a British company.
    3. As part of the transfer agreement, said technology is freely exportable except to countries (and citizens thereof) on the Banned List.
    4. British company sponsors Swedish vo-tech, providing equipment, training, and internships in a mutually beneficial relationship.
    5. Kid born in Iraq to Iraqi parents - making him (surprise) an Iraqi citizen - applies to vo-tech, is accepted.
    6. Company legal department points out that according to the rules, Iraqi citizens are not allowed to study or be trained on equipment based on US tech.
    7. Vo-tech tells kid, sorry, you can't train here after all.
    8. Internet headline: "U.S. Crushes Kid's Dreams, Laughs."
    this is probably how it happened,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    government commits crimes, other governments put sanctions on them, goverment can't fee its people and some die, blame the government that put sanctions on them rather than the government that commited the crimes. that about right?
    want me to to drag up the CIA reports of how they gave saddam CWs and reports on how effective they were during the Iraq-Iran war?

you do know my point was that there were no background checks?
    Regardless, the type of material involved with the company calls for security clearance. If I moved to Iraq the same time the kid was born, moved out the same time, and applied, I wouldn't be surprised if I was denied.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

10+ Year Old Account

And it fits YOU to post such bullshit video.
    Not because of what she says, but because of the title...
    Mass murder... Sure..... That's an outright false statement and crappy anti US Propaganda.
    Do you even know what that actually refers to?
    http://nointervention.com/archive/Ir...ty_in_Iraq.pdf

It was an estimate about children mortality in Iraq from 1990 - 1998. And it is completely unclear and unconfirmed
    1. how much really died
    2. how much impact there actually was from the embargo's put on Iraq, and the first Iraq war.
    That war, which I am sure you were definitely too young, was FULLY supported by all EU countries. The war was started after Hussein attacked Kuwait, plus it was known how he used chemical weapons against his own people... In fact, that war should have been completed, it would have saved the second war. Unlike the second time, back then Saddam was not in hiding, he was in his capital city, waiting basically for the allied forces to come and get him. And yet they decided to call it a day, and went back home with unfinished business.

Deleted
    Quite a stretch to put that MLK quote into it?
    Why a stretch? Because MLK fought and stood for changes that are based on mishandling and abuse that goes on for hundreds of years.
    The case at hand however has something to do with a case that happened 12 years ago, and the region where the terrorists are from is still in unrest and plenty of hate against the Western countries..
    you do know that you basically just said that slavery would have been OK if you had a good reason?
    also iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and if you want to be strict and complain about the entire region id like to remind you that Saudi arabia (where most of them were from, is a US ally) along with jordan and turkey and Egypt and more, seriously the entire zone there is pretty much all us allies except syria and iran.

How do they know he's a security risk?
    It's not his ethnicity, it's his country of origin and likely ties of loyalty. This is a standard practice in secure places.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you do know that you basically just said that slavery would have been OK if you had a good reason?
    also iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and if you want to be strict and complain about the entire region id like to remind you that Saudi arabia (where most of them were from, is a US ally) along with jordan and turkey and Egypt and more, seriously the entire zone there is pretty much all us allies except syria and iran.
    You're comparing the enslavement of people for economic gains to someone denied a education to work at a particular company for security reasons.

IBecause everyone from x country is hostile towards USA, paranoia?
    That's not what the policy states or is based on.

Like seriously, this is how EVERY country does this since countries were a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because he was born in Iraq, a hostile nation at the time.

It has nothing to do with race, if he'd been Jewish and born in Iraq, same thing. If he'd been born to British parents who'd become Iraqi citizens, same thing. The issue is his citizenship of birth. It's a pretty clear security risk.

They'd do the same thing if a student was North Korean, for the same reason.
    So, it is ok to discriminate, as long as it is not based on race. Cool.

Personality and the personal history mean nothing for us - only country you was born in (which you didn't choose), but hey we are ok with your race and skin color!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
    Regardless, the type of material involved with the company calls for security clearance. If I moved to Iraq the same time the kid was born, moved out the same time, and applied, I wouldn't be surprised if I was denied.
    its a high school course i doubt there is anything secret going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's not the US' fault because the company in question is an autonomous agent capable of deciding how to proceed on its own behalf. I am not saying what they should or shouldn't do, I am saying you cannot correctly pass this off as the US deciding who does or does not get into some program in some school in some Swedesburg.
    i am to tired to argue with you, because the company wants to teach the kid but is not allowed to do so by the US, they are a company also known as a juridical person, as a person i have to obey the laws of my land, how far do you want this ? the US made the rule the company has no choice unless you think breaking the law is a valid choice.