View Poll Results: What is your Sub Loss Prediction?

Voters
1318. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-100k Sub Loss

225 17.07%
  • 100k - 500k Sub Loss

446 33.84%
  • 500k - 1M Sub Loss

320 24.28%
  • Greater than 1 Million Sub Loss

236 17.91%
  • Other

91 6.90%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Actually I don't get the Diablo hate. I had a good time playing it.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Mostly, it was people expecting something that was more like Diablo2 and less like Gauntlet. D3 made one hell of a gauntlet game. Without gear choices, talent trees, ability boosting gear, usable skill variety, a compelling well written story, a smooth difficulty progression, randomly generated maps, or something new to the series; it felt like less of a game than it should have.
    D3 was better than D2 in every one of those respects.

And D3 was about as close to D2 as is possible without actually releasing a game that looks like it was made in 2001.

Personally I think Diablo games are simply not that appealing to a lot of gamers because at their core they are Roguelikes and that's pretty niche. And a LOT of people who used to play D2 do NOT remember that game accurately, their tastes have changed and the game market is very different now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Yes, this is info for shareholders. If you are contributing money to them for a subscription, then you are counted.
    But I can return to WoW and use that unused wasted time again via a petition.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Same here.

D3 was better than D2 in every one of those respects.

And D3 was about as close to D2 as is possible without actually releasing a game that looks like it was made in 2001.

Personally I think Diablo games are simply not that appealing to a lot of gamers because at their core they are Roguelikes and that's pretty niche. And a LOT of people who used to play D2 do NOT remember that game accurately, their tastes have changed and the game market is very different now.
    D3 didn't have randomly generated maps.
    D3's story was pulled from He Man. D2 had almost no story, which would have been an improvement.
    D3 had three stages of no difficulty followed by one that was much harder, that isn't smooth difficulty progression.
    D3 had one set of optimal stats for every build.
    D3 had a wealth of throw away abilities, just like it's predecessor.

Better in every way? Who are you kidding?

D3's story was pulled from He Man. D2 had almost no story, which would have been an improvement.
    D3 had three stages of no difficulty followed by one that was much harder, that isn't smooth difficulty progression.

Better in every way? Who are you kidding?
    They also think that their anecdotal experience applies to everyone.
    "I enjoyed D3, so therefore everyone who liked D2 over D3 did not remember the game accurately."

That sounds so pretentious. Its a everyone else is wrong, I am right mentality. It breeds ignorance and stupidity.
    Pokemon FC: 1091 - 8286 - 2221 Aman Add me

Yeah it did. And D2's randomly generated maps weren't very random either, I used to just follow an edge in a certain direction and skip through 90% of Act II...

None of the previous Diablos had much in the way of story, people seem to be expecting Planescape: Torment or something, if you want super complex stories then Diablo isn't the game for you and never was. D3 had the most complex story of all three and expanded the Diablo universe significantly. Maybe you don't like it, but that's just personal taste.

D2 was piss easy until Hell, at which point 1/4 of all monsters became completely immune to whatever type of damage you used.

Well, some monsters were OP on Nightmare as well, notably Duriel vs. certain classes.

D3 had much better difficulty progression than D2. And Inferno was actually legitimately hard, which was a huge improvement.

Er, unlike the stats in D2 where you got enough STR to use your endgame gear (because getting STR to use armour as a Sorc was just awesome) and then just pumped your main stat? Unless you did PVP and then maybe you needed VIT instead...

D2's stat system was primitive. Only acceptable because it was 2001 or whenever.

A handful of shitty ones, even the sub-par ones you could make exotic builds out of. In D2 you picked one ability and just spammed it until you ran out of mana, then you chugged a potion. That had no CD lol.

Please don't try to tell me that was a better design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    They also think that their anecdotal experience applies to everyone.
    "I enjoyed D3, so therefore everyone who liked D2 over D3 did not remember the game accurately."

That sounds so pretentious. Its a everyone else is wrong, I am right mentality. It breeds ignorance and stupidity.
    No, I say that because all the specific things people cite as being inferior to D2 are demonstrably better in D3.

Ten years = complete memory wipe IMO.

If you don't like D3, that's cool. You don't have to like the things I like. I scratch my head when people point out specifics that are just blatantly wrong though.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-11-06 at 02:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

No, I say that because all the specific things people cite as being inferior to D2 are demonstrably better in D3.

Nope. That is your own opinion. You are entitled to it. But claiming that everyone else is wrong is purely stupid, especially by saying that no one else's long term memory surpasses a decade except your own.

That makes you pretentious. I suspect its your own bias and ignorance that makes you unable to see anyone else's point of view.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2013-11-06 at 03:01 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 1091 - 8286 - 2221 Aman Add me

I think I'm legitimately concerned for the people looking forward to this call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Yeah it did. And D2's randomly generated maps weren't very random either, I used to just follow an edge in a certain direction and skip through 90% of Act II...

None of the previous Diablos had much in the way of story, people seem to be expecting Planescape: Torment or something, if you want super complex stories then Diablo isn't the game for you and never was. D3 had the most complex story of all three and expanded the Diablo universe significantly. Maybe you don't like it, but that's just personal taste.

D2 was piss easy until Hell, at which point 1/4 of all monsters became completely immune to whatever type of damage you used.

Well, some monsters were OP on Nightmare as well, notably Duriel vs. certain classes.

D3 had much better difficulty progression than D2. And Inferno was actually legitimately hard, which was a huge improvement.

Er, unlike the stats in D2 where you got enough STR to use your endgame gear (because getting STR to use armour as a Sorc was just awesome) and then just pumped your main stat? Unless you did PVP and then maybe you needed VIT instead...

D2's stat system was primitive. Only acceptable because it was 2001 or whenever.

A handful of shitty ones, even the sub-par ones you could make exotic builds out of. In D2 you picked one ability and just spammed it until you ran out of mana, then you chugged a potion. That had no CD lol.

Please don't try to tell me that was a better design.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't like D3, that's cool. You don't have to like the things I like. I scratch my head when people point out specifics that are just blatantly wrong though.
    D3 had random maps? There were things that could spawn in the map, but the over all map wasn't random. A node was on or off. D2 had maps that were actually random. Sure, act 2's desert was pretty featureless and could be sidestepped; but that's the design for every D3 map.

I agree about the story. It's always been pretty limited. They tried to make the story more involved and it ended up being really really banal.

Maybe inferno was legitimately hard and I just played over powered classes? I rolled through with a mage and monk pretty early on in the game. Witchdoctor seemed to have a decent level of difficulty earlier though, I'll give you that.

With stats there were skill buffing stats pretty earlier on, and I vaguely remember a reflect build (paladin or barbarian? It's been awhile) that wanted vitality over other things. Anyway, yes, there wasn't much variety. In D3 they removed skill buffing stats which is a step toward less variety. I believe this changed later, Did D3 expand their viable stats yet? Regardless, we're discussing why people found it initially unappealing so that's pretty irrelevant.

You could certainly play any of the one skill builds in D2 up till they introduced skill synergies. With D3 they went back to a pre synergy skill style which is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    I know that

Technically, I had an active game-time during this quarter (ended Aug 30th), but I have not logged in 1 single time this quarter or last.. That is my question. DO I count as a sub tomorrow?
    You will not, since your account was not active as of Sept. 30.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

I agree about the story. It's always been pretty limited. They tried to make the story more involved and it ended up being really really banal.
    It was terrible writing period. It had the depth of a kiddie pool. They constantly shoved the most obvious foreshadowing in your face and it wasn't sublte at all. The villains were written with republic serial dialogue from 50's. I was half expecting baal to come out with a cane to twirl and a moustache to curl as he gave me the gory details of some evil plot that he was telling me because i don't know why? Seriously he told me and I stopped it.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Warchief
    Isn't it today? And what time is it?

Is the call today????
    I am quite curious as how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Isn't it today? And what time is it?
    Yes, today is the day. They start at 1:30 PM PST (so, slightly more than 8 hours from now).

You will not, since your account was not active as of Sept. 30.
    They count anyone that had an active subscription at any time during the quarter (in the West, there's different definition for the East without monthly subs).

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    They count anyone that had an active subscription at any time during the quarter (in the West, there's different definition for the East without monthly subs).
    No, I don't believe you are correct. They count the number of active accounts at the end of the quarter. For "subs", that means the account has to be active (that is, paid for) at that specific moment in time. For the east, where there is pay-per-hour, that means the account had to have been used in the previous month.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

No, I don't believe you are correct. They count the number of active accounts at the end of the quarter. For "subs", that means the account has to be active (that is, paid for) at that specific moment in time. For the east, where there is pay-per-hour, that means the account had to have been used in the previous month.
    I guess this method would provide a number that would be closer to what people usually think of "the number of active subscriptions".

That said, as long as they don't change the method between quarters (and they don't, I think), either of them is fine, because the interesting thing is dynamics.

never seen them change sub calc method since blizzard was rolled into Activision in 2008. there would be a sizable uproar if they ever did.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, John Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Agatha Christie, Steven Erikson & Ian Esslemont, Stephen R Donaldon, and recently Jack L Chalker.

Dreadlord
    It's out, 1.3mil subs lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    It's out, 1.3mil subs lost.
    The quarterly report isn't until this afternoon.