Poll: Why do you play/enjoy your Rogue?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why DO you play your Rogue? Archetype vs Gameplay.

In light of the recent and active Poll here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...level-90-Rogue
    i really was interested into the different reasons for playing the class: the feedback was so diverse that i got interested in your opinions on this.

For me, it's definitely the archetype. My troll rogue was the first toon i created, but rerolled pretty early into Vanilla since it was boring as fuck from a PvE Perspective. Additionally, my favourite Spec (Sub) wasn't viable. With Cata i could finally reroll on my Rogue and main Sub, even with some fancy looks from my guildmates: as long as i deal competitive Damage and have fun, i could care less about peer-pressure though.

It's seriously the only Spec i can stomach playing, although im sad we lost so much flavour over the years, and i firmly believe we need a major overhaul (my 6.0 Wishlist Video is in the making)

What about you? Do you play Rogue because you just love the Appeal and Thief/stealthy Assassin Image? Or is it the Gameplay and Mechanics at it's core which drive you to this Class?

Because they are going to be lolfaceroll next patch.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2013-09-07 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsteel View Post
    Because they are going to be lolfaceroll next patch.
    Im guessing you refer to combat?

Deleted
    When I started playing WoW I read all the class descriptions on the website and chose Rogue because I liked the sneaky assassin style. Being totally clueless, I also skilled every talent that improved stealth, faster movement while stealth etc. Because it was rogue-ish and seemed cool.
    I probably managed to not choose a single dps pushing talent back then^^ I levelled as subtlety, not knowing a thing about rotations and stuff, but sneaky sub talent tree=cool !! Then I switched to combat using only daggers (back when daggers as combat was a no-go) because daggers=cool!
    Then more and more people started using recount and I got flamed for my bad dps and finally checked out some class guides.
    Good times

10+ Year Old Account
    My rogueiah reasons are twofold. One, I'm the only lvl 90 rogue in my guild of almost 200 people...so I kinda get dibs on agi daggers, secondly, I enjoy the archetype...stealthy, able to have insane burst or sustainability depending on play style and spec...and I enjoy being able to pickpocket and lock pick too
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael8

Deathwing was flapping along in the dragonblight getting ready to attack the tower whennnnn..... BAM!!! He gets nailed with a giant plasma beam coming down from the sky Grafton style from Halo Reach!!!! It would seem that Rhonin finally decided to put his 24mil mana to use...

Quote Originally Posted by way2go View Post
    When I started playing WoW I read all the class descriptions on the website and chose Rogue because I liked the sneaky assassin style. Being totally clueless, I also skilled every talent that improved stealth, faster movement while stealth etc. Because it was rogue-ish and seemed cool.
    I probably managed to not choose a single dps pushing talent back then^^ I levelled as subtlety, not knowing a thing about rotations and stuff, but sneaky sub talent tree=cool !! Then I switched to combat using only daggers (back when daggers as combat was a no-go) because daggers=cool!
    Then more and more people started using recount and I got flamed for my bad dps and finally checked out some class guides.
    Good times
    Absolutely the same here! Sub seemed so cool! But then the fateful duel came along: Level 42. Stranglethorn Vale. Another Rogue, Assassination-Specced. I.got.destroyed. I still pushed to 60, but...it was never the same again.

Realistically, inertia. I started playing a rogue when I started playing the game during Wrath and basically haven't wanted to change. I do like the non-GCD locked playstyle of rogues but that too is likely shaped by playing a rogue for a long time before I even thought about leveling something else.

I rolled a rogue because I always play a rogue or other form of stealth archetype.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

I like the stealthy thief/assassin archetype. But I don't play my rogue much as I just feel it needs a big facelift. I feel alot more immersed as a rogue when i'm leveling than I do at max level if that makes any sense to anyone.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Ironically, I have never enjoyed the rogue archetype. The stealthy assassin or typical thief qualities would have been a turn-off for me at the surface. I have always preferred the warrior or knight archetype, heroically charging into battle as a master of weapons.

Neither the rogue nor the warrior class in WoW really lived up to it's archetype when I first started playing in 2007 and even less so now.

I originally had my heart set on playing a warrior, but the pure-melee DPS approach of the rogue was much more appealing. The reason I stuck with the rogue is 100% due to it's satisfying playstyle. I love the combo point/energy resource system, nothing else comes close.

i was always a sucker for the acrobatic dual wielding fast paced style of fighting and back when i started rogues were the only one who could satisy that style
    i levelled as combat and managed to stealth as little possible because i found it to be boring as hell xD

When I picked my first class I picked rogue because of the description "For those who like to deal a lot of damage".

Also I can't stand mana classes and having to sit around and drink/regen. Granted that's been fixed in this game and I actually like the mana users now since there's not as much down time but compared to pre-cata game play mana users were boring as hell to level and energy has always been my favorite system. Same in LoL I can't stand mana based heroes.

Been dying for a chance to go back combat since I love the aesthetic look of dual swords. Double daggers with assassination has been rather boring for me during MoP. But I just think they look the coolest out of anything.

I love the stealth aspect of the class. Let's me control the game play of when I want to open and if I was too over eager and something is about to smash my face I can vanish and start over or vanish and get out and save a repair bill.

For PvP and even solo pve stuff like killing rares in MoP (not so much now with higher gear and can just smash them but more of the lower gear needing to out skill them to win) I really liked the control you get with all the stuns/interrupts rogues have. It's probably the aspect that I miss the most when I play other classes.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I started playing, it was because of its archetype and the fact that it was the only pure melee DPS in WoW. In the end, the class plays nothing like its archetype would suggest and being a pure melee DPS has become a hindrance and a disadvantage rather than a trade-off.

If I'm playing the class right now it's because it's been my main since TBC and I would rather stop playing completely rather than re-rolling to another class.
    Last edited by Linneth; 2013-09-07 at 12:51 AM.

Because only rogues can do the following:

enter a city
    stand next to someone with a low intellect
    write into your chat /e has successfully picked your pockets for 15s and 39c!

and also stealth, unless you are raiding, there you don't, which is sad. Unless you play sub, but then you're still sad. Which is also sad. I demand a sub buff.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

i started playing rogue mid BC i was pvping alot back then sub was so cool to play with all their sneaky stuff i dueled alot with a friend of my who was also a rogue had a good time back then
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Deleted
    For PvP I enjoyed the fact that I could dictate when the fight started and I could reset the fight through vanish/stealth. I also loved the insane burst.
    For PvE, I also enjoyed the burst but I don't really enjoy playing my Rogue much in PvE, only time I have found it very competitive is tank and spank-esque fights, or fights where I could use blade flurry (when it was good). Combat just seemed clunky, Assas was boring and energy starved was a common thing it was also very inefficient on target switching.

The thought of a murder-panda who's immune to gravity strongly appeals to me. Also quite big on poison/bleed/disease type gameplay concepts.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2013-09-07 at 11:41 AM.

Rogue hasn't been my main for a very long time, but I always enjoyed the gameplay. Not really a fan of the "Thief" Archtype, but I'm yet to find a class in WOW where I love both the gameplay & Archtype/lore, so gameplay usually wins out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was intending to get the legendary daggers at lv 85, but I have decided to do it at lv 90 instead, so NOW I shall be playing my rogue for Terrific Trio (reach max lv with three different classes, for any who doesn't know)
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I have fond memories of ranking up to Commander or Lieutenant-Commander, I forget which one, back in "Vanilla" WoW and I've always like the gameplay. I was a fan of the Thief series and when I was younger I was badass at Hide and Seek parties so my rogue and I just meshed together. I played a human back in Vanilla and in Cata I race-changed to Worgen, I'm currently thinking about coming back for 5.4 and if the next expansion looks good then I'll defiantly come back because none of the newer MMOs have felt the same to me as WoW did to me, GW2 was fun as a Thief and I still occasionally play that because the jumping puzzles are awesome. EQNext looks really interesting so maybe WoW will hold me over until that releases, who knows.

love duel wielding and stealth. its my main but not by choice as my guild wanted it. sucks because they are so damn boring now. nothing has really changed in years. stale. they need a huge facelift. they are the lowest played class in US and EU next to monks and its very close