Thread: Spec for 5.4

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm finding that BM for every fight is the way to go so far. Unfortunately, I wasn't brought in for Spoils or Thok, so I cannot say. But damage alone, BM seems to be way ahead. The change to Dash with Blink Strikes and Kill Command having a 25 yard range, has made target switching for BM MUCH easier.

For normals at least, I see no reason to switch to SV right now. Heroics may change that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    The change to Dash with Blink Strikes and Kill Command having a 25 yard range,
    Woot?
    I didn't noticed pet charging again. In fact, I'm quite sure on Nazgrim my KC was delayed several times because pet was not in range.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsoni View Post
    Woot?
    I didn't noticed pet charging again. In fact, I'm quite sure on Nazgrim my KC was delayed several times because pet was not in range.
    It does have an ICD doesn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    my first week of raiding SoO was:

Immerseus: BM
    The Fallen Protectors: SV
    Norushen: BM
    Sha of Pride: BM
    Galakras: SV with the change from DB to TotH

thats all our raid got up to this week any suggestions would be good but thats my 2 cents

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done 10/14 as SV. As I said before I was getting significantly lower numbers on the training dummy as BM (despite playing BM 90% of MoP and getting 90+ percentile logs, at least early one when I was geared appropriately for the time of said logs).

My whole setup sims 5k less as SV than BM (FemaleDwarf) but in-game I'm doing much more (10k+) as SV. I don't know how the removal of readiness would affect this so drastically as before 5.4 I was doing 15-20k more DPS as BM (Haste>Crit>Mastery) than SV.

Current reforge: Crit>Haste>Mastery
    iLevel: 549
    Raid size: 10

I personally went with BM throughout all bosses, and it performed great. There are a lot of fights where quick burst swaps are needed as well as burst AOE and thats where BM excels. BM definitely feels like the superior spec imo, but it comes down to whether or not you are comfortable with being quick and responsive with pet control and positioning, which is more forgiving as survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    It does have an ICD doesn't it?
    Blink Strikes has the ICD, not Kill Command.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    Blink Strikes has the ICD, not Kill Command.
    After doing dailies, I noticed KC charges the target once again. =)

I updated my post for the specs I went with on all the bosses and the reasons why.. save for 1 or 2, those are probably the best options..

10+ Year Old Account
    Klaxxi: BM/Glaive. This fight is deceptively simple on Normal. You look at the dungeon journal and see this laundry list of abilities and bosses and your eyes go wide... but really, there's like 3 abilities total that you have to pay attention to. Our only real job, aside from Paragon Powers (which are very simple) is to burn down the boss. BM is much, much better for that.

Garrosh: Either/Barrage. We had 3 Hunters in for our kill, 2 SV and 1 BM. BM came out ahead very slightly, but she also had 2pc tier while we did not. If you're not on Engineer duty, BM may be preferred here. Outside of phase 1, there's not a ton of cleave to do. It's also very inconvenient not being able to AoE the mind controlled people as SV, though Barrage lined up perfectly for that. I think next week I'll be BM for this boss.

People saying BM is "way better"... no duh. Survival 4pc is one of the main reasons everyone was on the SV bandwagon. Very few people have that, while a LOT of us have gotten Assurance of Consequence. That alone puts BM ahead by a fair margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    People saying BM is "way better"... no duh. Survival 4pc is one of the main reasons everyone was on the SV bandwagon. Very few people have that, while a LOT of us have gotten Assurance of Consequence. That alone puts BM ahead by a fair margin.
    This hits the nail on the head...
    It's all a series of progression, but a lot of people just look at the math and theory for the final end. I'm personally looking forward to folks who pick up the first few heroic warforged weapons and pull out some Marksman numbers. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to BM with the same progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakauri View Post
    This hits the nail on the head...
    It's all a series of progression, but a lot of people just look at the math and theory for the final end. I'm personally looking forward to folks who pick up the first few heroic warforged weapons and pull out some Marksman numbers. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to BM with the same progress.
    Problem with Marksmanship is not the DPS, it's the shitty rotation. Any target switching will fuck you up. And BM will still be better on single-target.

Theoretically, yes. Every part of MM bleeds its effectiveness while every part of BM helps its effectiveness. BM really was just better designed.
    I made a post in the other thread specifically about marksman that might be interesting to you.
    Either way, BM just definitely has itself pigeon-holed as the go to spec right now. Its pulling the most single target, the most burst and the most AoE. It's really unfortunate that they weren't able to balance the specs for their niches more appropriately. I get that they don't want people feeling like they "have" to play a spec for a specific encounter (ie, SV aoe or MM st), but they've done it none-the-less as it is so there wasn't anything really accomplished by their attempt to make them all within 5% of each other.

Though in a single target encounter MM will, again theoretically, do decently all right. Passable at best. The DPS variable comes in the form more of:
    1. Do you have AoC?
    2. Do you have 4PC?
    3. Do you have a Siege weapon?

If only 1, BM. If only 2, SV. If only 3, MM. If only 1+3, BM, if only 1+2, BM or SV, if all three, BM or SV. More or less. Sort of. I think you know what I'm saying, in any case.

I currently have a Warforged Gun, but dropping either SV or BM for MM is stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    I've done 10/14 as SV. As I said before I was getting significantly lower numbers on the training dummy as BM (despite playing BM 90% of MoP and getting 90+ percentile logs, at least early one when I was geared appropriately for the time of said logs).

My whole setup sims 5k less as SV than BM (FemaleDwarf) but in-game I'm doing much more (10k+) as SV. I don't know how the removal of readiness would affect this so drastically as before 5.4 I was doing 15-20k more DPS as BM (Haste>Crit>Mastery) than SV.

Current reforge: Crit>Haste>Mastery
    iLevel: 549
    Raid size: 10
    Lack of physical damage buffs/debuffs like 4% phys, 12% arpen or Shattering throws affects BM a lot more than SV, where 70% of the damage is magical, and the 5% magic damage debuff is easier to have on 10 mans. I don't know about your setup tho, just throwing some ideas :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I currently have a Warforged Gun, but dropping either SV or BM for MM is stupid.
    Not necessarily stupid - unoptimal, maybe, or irrelevant-for-future, perhaps. But if there was ever a time that you were going to play marksman, then the time where you have no loot from SoO except for a warforged weapon and a trinket like haromms would be that time. For example, to see the generalization of the two I popped the hunter recruit we just picked up recently into femaledwarf. I gave him Galakras' warforged bow and haromms trinket, simmed him BM then simmed him as MM. "Theoretically" he could do 2k more as marksman at that point, but to be perfectly fair beast mastery is far easier to play, way less player dependant and has a lot of good utility. Plus at 2k on a sim like that you're down to circumstance and encounter more than math sim and play style.

I would personally stay BM for pretty much anything, but once I've picked up 4pc I might be simming SV in a few encounters to test some things out. From what I saw through normal modes though, probably sticking with big red cat. The burst control is just too useful to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I retract my previous statements about my experiences with SV vs BM.

Did flex the other night as BM, was bursting 800k, end fight DPS of 250k or so. OP as hell.

Can't wait to finish off the last 4 of Normal as BM.
    Last edited by Supakaiser; 2013-09-15 at 12:29 AM.

Deleted
    Hi guys!

as BM hunter is it HASTE-CRIT och CRIT-HASTE the way to go? i dont got the meta and cloak :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting 10-12 ES out of LnL on the PTR was...more than awesome. I'm almost certain SV will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by hunken View Post
    Hi guys!

as BM hunter is it HASTE-CRIT och CRIT-HASTE the way to go? i dont got the meta and cloak :P
    Reforge and use SimC to see, apparently haste > crit is still better for me due to my gear, by a few hundred or maybe a thousand? I forget.