Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[ARENA] Retribution Paladin in 5.4

Hello fellow Paladins!

Ive been dusting of my old paladin the last days thinking it might be fun to try out in 5.4.

What do you guys think about the changes for pvp? Will we be worth anything above capping in 2v2?

What about 3v3? Me and my mates might try some Disc/Ret/Hunter out just for fun but maybe there is
    someone here with experience from PTR with that comp.

Interested in your ideas. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I only do 2v2 as ret with a frost mage, as for now rets are pretty good in 2v2, i really enjoy it (even if we lack some defence) as for 5.4 there are no nerfs for ret pvp so its really worth going as in 2v2, as for 3v3 i dont know

self-defence is lacking, so is self-healing, but The Burst, it is pretty brutal.
    So yeah, if you like shiny, golden stuff, then by all means, go for it.

Deleted
    Self defence lacking? what the hell are you talking about? Sacred shield, bubble, 6sec blind, 30sec cd stun or fucking FEAR. Also spammable movement impairing effect remove spell, and the classic hand of freedom. As retri, I am unstoppable unless I am getting chain cc'd but that can happen to any class, its not retri problem. Also TV glyph, -10% damage, holy prism/execution sentence for damage and self healing. I use holy prism because of more damage per 1 minute.

I almoust forgot the three magic damage diminishing spells, you can cut magic damage taken 70% with them and also 80% dot damage.

In duels, I can win any class. There I also have lay on hands. Monk is probably the hardest to beat but divine shield + remove shield macro for fast removal (because of karma) will get monk killed.

Last edited by mmoc090a203492; 2013-09-08 at 09:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Self defence lacking? what the hell are you talking about? Sacred shield, bubble, 6sec blind, 30sec cd stun or fucking FEAR. Also spammable movement impairing effect remove spell, and the classic hand of freedom. As retri, I am unstoppable unless I am getting chain cc'd but that can happen to any class, its not retri problem. Also TV glyph, -10% damage, holy prism/execution sentence for damage and self healing. I use holy prism because of more damage per 1 minute.

I almoust forgot the three magic damage diminishing spells, you can cut magic damage taken 70% with them and also 80% dot damage.

In duels, I can win any class. There I also have lay on hands. Monk is probably the hardest to beat but divine shield + remove shield macro for fast removal (because of karma) will get monk killed.

Don't mix up CC and snare with defense please. By lacking defense they mean an actual cd yes we have bubble but it's 5 mins cd. The thing is with ret is that the moment you don't have bubble and they focus target you in arena? you are dead no room to recover at all, divine protection and devo aura doesn't help much either.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Don't mix up CC and snare with defense please. By lacking defense they mean an actual cd yes we have bubble but it's 5 mins cd. The thing is with ret is that the moment you don't have bubble and they focus target you in arena? you are dead no room to recover at all, divine protection and devo aura doesn't help much either.
    Thing is, you have to kite a bit with retri. Let's pretend that ranged snare isn't anyhting. In addition 2 x 20% dmg reduction, 1 buble and alot of movement mobility.. Is all that forgotten? Now let's add those WOGs and sacred shield. Retri is good. Strong good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know how important clemency is but damn i cant wait to try the new unbreakable spirit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Thats ridicilous. If people focus on you arena, you are fucking dead anyway no matter the class. Unless you are healer.

Self defence lacking?
    yes. all you have regarding defensive CD's are Bubble(which is on entirely different plane of suck), Devo aura against casters and Divine Protection(glyphed against all damage, unglyphed against casters only).

Now then, Bubble has 5 min cd, Devo aura has 2 minute cd and is too weak to be noticed as of itself, and divine protection is actually reducing damage only if left unglyphed against casters.

here are our defensive CDs.

Self defence lacking? what the hell are you talking about? Sacred shield
    indeed, what the hell are you talking about?
    If you pick Sacred Shield as ret in pvp, well, you must suffer.
    suffer well.

Self defence lacking? what the hell are you talking about? 6sec blind, 30sec cd stun
    what do CC's have to do with defensive CDs?

what the hell are you talking about? fucking FEAR.
    If you pick "fucking Fear" as Ret, well, you must suffer even more then if you have picked Sacred Shield.

As retri, I am unstoppable
    sure as sure.

execution sentence for damage and self healing.
    if you use ES for self healing, then there goes your burst.
    bad move, friend.

self healing
    Ret self-healing is pathetic and lacking, as I already said.
    But you can argue that 24k WoGs are actually may be counted as self-healing.

In duels, I can win any class.
    sure as sure.

so to sum it up,
    what the hell are you talking about?
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Thing is, you have to kite a bit with retri. Let's pretend that ranged snare isn't anyhting. In addition 2 x 20% dmg reduction, 1 buble and alot of movement mobility.. Is all that forgotten? Now let's add those WOGs and sacred shield. Retri is good. Strong good.
    yeah lets pretend that a Glyph for 2 seconds of slow IS anything.

And dont say "a lot of movement mobility" regarding Rets, because otherwise I'll have you tell me how do you call Druid and Monk mobility.

Now lets add those 24k WoGs indeed. Powerful, yeah?
    Now lets add Sacred Shield too. Now lets ask ourselves why in the feth would we do that? Sacred Shield IS nothing for Ret, and you must suffer a lot if you pick said talent.

Ret has strong burst, pathetic selfhealing, okay team healing and a somewhat good support package of tools(which incindentally can be brought by Holy in all of its entirety while providing better team healing)

That is all.
    Last edited by Morally Grey Storm; 2013-09-08 at 12:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Nah it's weak unless you play with a BM hunter at the moment. In arenas ret is great with a hunter.

In Bgs or rated Bgs ret is only good against bad players. They aren't viable in rated Bgs either.

So if you want to play ret stick to arena, with a hunter. I'm not sure what other DPS classes will synergize with ret in 5.4 but it would be nice.

Deleted
    Storm the sorrow seems to be very knowledgeable about retribution paladin. We are all enlighted now, that he took part in this topick.

Retri paladin indeed, has very bad if no defensive abilities at all. I will now reroll.

Storm the sorrow seems to be very knowledgeable about retribution paladin. We are all enlighted now, that he took part in this topick.

Retri paladin indeed, has very bad if no defensive abilities at all. I will now reroll.
    you will now pull the "sarcastic arsehole" trick since you cant provide arguments due to some mental handicap or plain idiocy.

Infracted for insulting. ~Fhi
    Last edited by Fhi; 2013-09-08 at 04:30 PM.

Deleted
    I am not really fond of bothering to start debunking whole list of garbage. And even if I did that, it would start endless "no you're wrong" debate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    you will now pull the "sarcastic arsehole" trick since you cant provide arguments due to some mental handicap or plain idiocy.
    Reported this post. I dont want people fighting and acting like kids in this thread. All posts like the above will be reported.

Stick to the topic which is about retribution paladin in arena come 5.4. If you cant be civil and keep a normal discussion just press Alt+F4

I am not really fond of bothering to start debunking whole list of garbage. And even if I did that, it would start endless "no you're wrong" debate.
    you cant argue, so you back away, honestly, I'm not surprised.

do not derail this thread please.

Deleted
    In pvp i would not recommend taking eternal flame, since even though it heals a bit more than other two talents in that tier, it does that too slowly to be effective in pvp environment. Sacred shields active damage mitigation is very good alternative to selfless healer, and they are very equal. Sacred shield is easy in that regard, that it passively has that damage mitigation when you have that buff and thus I think it is better to have since you dont have to cast any flash of light. I like rather taking mitigated damage, rather than healing after taking that excessive damage.
    Last edited by mmoc090a203492; 2013-09-08 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Reported this post. I dont want people fighting and acting like kids in this thread. All posts like the above will be reported.

Stick to the topic which is about retribution paladin in arena come 5.4. If you cant be civil and keep a normal discussion just press Alt+F4
    reported this post. I dont want people acting like giant douches and stating their thoughts as facts while not providing any actual backup to their claims.

- - - Updated - - -

In pvp i would not recommend taking eternal flame, since even though it heals a bit more than other two talents in that tier, it does that too slowly to be effective in pvp envinroment. Sacred shields active damage mitigation is very good alternative to selfless healer, and they are very equal.
    Eternal Flame spends Holy Power, and you cant afford it as Ret, you are damage dealer for feth's sake.

Sacred Shield is worthless compared to Selfless Healer for Ret. Ask anyone with half a brain.

Deleted
    Please describe how is it worthless to take already mitigated damage compared to taking not-mitigated damage and healing that damage off. Sacred shield also is constantly going on, while with selfless healer you need to wait for judgements to cast heal.

When I think about it more, sacred shield is better.

Please describe how is it worthless to take already mitigated damage compared to taking not-mitigated damage and healing that damage off. Sacred shield also is constantly going on, while with selfless healer you need to wait for judgements to cast heal.

When I think about it more, sacred shield is better.
    while your logic is right(proactive is better than reactive), amount absorbed(its pathetic) and mechanic of said talent(6 seconds pause before absorb even applies after casting Sacred SHield on anybody) makes Selfless Healer vastly superior due to increased healing on teammates: it is not unnatural to dish out 100K Flashes of Light(which is perfectly possible due to guaranteed critical FoL after killing blow), no to mention that even 2-stack Selfless Healer allows for unineterruptable cast.

Selfless Healer is truly better than Sacred Shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sac/Absolve is a HUGE part of Ret gameplay and people always forget to mention it.

And Ret survivability is really low outside of bubble, but still have a good mobility and Blind for peels, not to forget that we can DISPEL CC from partners to get peels too. Then go back out of enemy loss and heal up to about 100k in about 8 secs. Still sucks, but that's what we can do. Not to mention of course stun everything already mentioned.

But we can't expect to have utility, mobility, burst, dispel, snare, CC, sustained DPS and defensives on this high level.

Remember the game is made to play as a team: most of Ret toolkit is to be used on the team to bring what Ret lacks for the table. I can't heal/defend but I can dispel my healer to keep me alive and I have freedom to go back to him also, for instance.

I didn't see anybody talk about Glyph of Divine shield also, I think it'll help for a fair amount too.

Glyph of BoG will not do the job by itself for a snare, switching to SoJ is important also.

And important: we can't cast Fear if we're being trained. Got to keep in mind that, FoJ will always be realiable.

Umbreakable Spirit is a great option for survivability since Divine Protection hold a LOT on 30 secs CD especialy against casters/mages. And Divine Shield on 2,5min CD, we can get close to have a Dispersion/IceBlock/Life Cocoon/etc. Of course we trade a 2 min Dispel for that. The second BoP of the Clemency hardly goes off on arena and we can live with Emancipate and a single Freedom also if we get out survivability up by that much.

---

So this is my point: Ret bring utility for the team to get survivability or now can trade that utility for real survivability with UmbSpirit.

It'll come to:

1) The comp you go against: against casters it'll worth considering UmbSpirit.

2) If you'll be focused or not: if you're going to be the target it'll suck to use Fear becouse of casting - not impossible but especialy against melee training you, Fear will be hard to go off.

My 2 cents.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm