Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    if sites like youtube ban it from their sites someone will just create another add blocker addon. and even if that one gets banned too you can still deactivate it for specific sites or just don't go to these sites anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if it's been said but the people behind Adblock+ are a whole different team than the guy (or team) behind Adblock. It's...somewhere on the internet. Heard about it from Totalbiscuit, popular youtuber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    allow me to make this simple enough for you.

i do not give a shit about what is being advertised.
    i give a shit that people who make content get paid for their work for every person who consumes that content.
    You sure made that simple. the massive amount of hypocrisy is blatantly obvious now.

You don't care about what's being advertised, but care that the people who play the ads get payed....

They don't get paid just by views. They also get payed by clicks. views are just "Potential Profit" while clicks show actual interest from the ads, which in turn will keep the ad owners interested in the one playing the ad keeping them payed.

Allow me to make it simple enough for you though.

Irrelevant ads equal less clicks.
    Less clicks means less interest in content provider from companies.
    Less interest in content provider means content provider gets less ads and less ad revenue.

So if you really care about them getting payed you would give a shit about the ads they play.

I'm totally fine with reasonable sized banner ads, but modern Youtube ads can burn in hell.

If Adblock gets blocked/becomes unviable someone will just make a competitor and we'll swap to that, rinse and repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to stop using AdBlock. Links were unclickable in chrome after a short time. I went through all my plugins one by one to see which, if any, were the cause. As soon as I disabled AdBlock links worked. Haven't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    3) using data towards my data cap(s)
    1) and 2) are fair enough, this one isn't actually possible though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

allow me to make this simple enough for you.

i do not give a shit about what is being advertised.
    i give a shit that people who make content get paid for their work for every person who consumes that content.
    that is my sole motivation for my anger, i am tired of looking at income sheet after income sheet with over 40% of lost revenue due to asshats running adblock.
    i am tired of having to fire people who love their job because of that.

when you adblock you are stealing people's wages, and fuck you for doing it.
    I pay each month to have internet therefore if I don't want to see add's that is my choice plain and simple.

If someone dose block adblock someone will just make a addon that dose the samething and everything will just repeat.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I pay each month to have internet therefore if I don't want to see add's that is my choice plain and simple.
    ... I don't think you understand how the 'internet' works.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    ... I don't think you understand how the 'internet' works.
    Sites like youtube get payed each time people view there add's this I know.

I also know one of the most common ways to get a virus is from add's therefor I use adblock to lower the risk of that happening. If sites was a lot better at protectiong those who view the content on there site then I wouldn't mind add's. But until that day happens I will use adblock and like I said I already pay monthly for my internet so it should be up to me if I want to view add's or not.

Now if Youtube did something like Hulu "Short add in the vide" I don't mind what add's I hate is the ones that spam all over the sites and the ones in the videos that last like 2-4 mins each.

Like I said if they do block it someone will just make another one.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    You sure made that simple. the massive amount of hypocrisy is blatantly obvious now.
    how is wanting to make sure that the people make the content don't get ripped off hypocrisy?

Deleted
    Some ads have always got through but it's rare and often doesn't happen again when visiting the same site. Still, I don't think it's going anywhere even if sites keep finding ways to show you the ads despite adblock. Ads are kinda like viruses. Just because some viruses get through doesnt mean people stop using anti-virus software of they stop developing them. Most people find ads annoying thus creating demand for things like Adblock and even if it would ultimately end or stops being improved, it doesnt mean others wont take its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

If someone dose block adblock someone will just make a addon that dose the samething and everything will just repeat.
    you pay for the connection, not all the content on the entire internet.

same way we used to pay for TV to a service provider, but each channel made its money via commercials.

just cause you pay the bill, doesn't mean you get HBO for free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I had to stop using AdBlock. Links were unclickable in chrome after a short time. I went through all my plugins one by one to see which, if any, were the cause. As soon as I disabled AdBlock links worked. Haven't had a problem since.
    Im using firefox and never had that problem.. and Ive been using Adblock for at least a year now.

how is wanting to make sure that the people make the content don't get ripped off hypocrisy?
    How about putting it behind paywalls if you want to make revenue ?
    I pay for content I want to consume but I will always use some form of adblock.

Was gonna be nice just assuming you're mad cause shits not going great for you, but you clearly arent even trying to read what you're commenting on.

But i'll say it again.

You're a hypocrite because you say you care about them, but at the same time you say you don't give a shit about the entire reason they're in that position to begin with.
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-09-10 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Some ads have always got through but it's rare and often doesn't happen again when visiting the same site. Still, I don't think it's going anywhere even if sites keep finding ways to show you the ads despite adblock. Ads are kinda like viruses. Just because some viruses get through doesnt mean people stop using anti-virus software of they stop developing them. Most people find ads annoying thus creating demand for things like Adblock and even if it would ultimately end or stops being improved, it doesnt mean others wont take its place.
    except its easier for people to make a counter-adblock, as adblock freely gives itself out.
    and of course since that will be ubiquitous aswell it will be easy to make a counter-counter-adblock.

10+ Year Old Account
    except its easier for people to make a counter-adblock, as adblock freely gives itself out.
    and of course since that will be ubiquitous aswell it will be easy to make a counter-counter-adblock.
    No, you know what's fucking easy? Making banner ads that don't flash or make noise without my permission.

Jesus.

Forget the "watch my ads!" "no, we don't want to!" war. Just make the ads tolerable again and all the reasonable people will turn Adblock back off. I know I certainly would. I know how important revenue is to sites like MMOC, but it's much, much, MUCH more a priority for me to not be agitated all the time while browsing my top-used site by slow loads (super huge flashy video ads), loud and unexpected noises interfering with my music that's currently playing and also that shatter my concentration when trying to READ TEXT ON A TEXT BASED SITE, and Malware warnings.
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-09-10 at 06:18 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    How about putting it behind paywalls if you want to make revenue ?
    I pay for content I want to consume but I will always use some form of adblock.
    because, i want it be be a choice.

ads and you get it for free, or pay and you get it free of ads.
    both ways the people who made the content get paid and consumers get to see the content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    Not entirely sure which side you're on (Advertising Company or Content Provider)
    content provider.

Ads getting through on youtube is a chrome bug, basically when you open a new tab from a flash object, chrome assigns it the wrong type and was confusing adblock, this is either already fixed or should be fixed very soon.

Deleted
    You cant make a counter-adblock though. Ultimately its possible to send the website a signal that you viewed the ad and just not show it to the user. It's all happening on your own PC and unless they do it like some online games do and run scans on your PC or something (which would require the user to download and run a program from their website).

I guess the only thing they might be able to do is to make ads in videos and other places unskippable and you would just see black screen for a few minutes. Other than that, it's always possible to filter out what you want or do not want to see on your own browser.