Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    I wouldn't give two craps about ads if they weren't loaded with spyware, viruses, or phishing programs. I don't mind watching safe ads before videos, but popups and crap can just go to hell.
    I totally agree. I remember at some point I just decided I don't have to live with websites popping up pages of ads that obstruct the entire webpage and trick me into clicking "Like on FB?" or some other bullshit. Also, I don't want to have a badzillion Tabs open, because they open a new Tab for every page I visit. Why do I have to go and close every ad? I just want to read the news, ffs. In the beginning of the internet, I didn't have Adblock. I could live with a pic and a hyperlink behind that somewhere on the page. It's when those ads started to play stupid music at riidiculous sound levels, popped up in my face and/or tried to trick me into doing shit I didn't want that I got fed up with it.

I would really like to know how is anyone going to stop adblockers without killing the hole plugin system for browsers (even then it would be easy for most people to block adds). Trying to stop people from blocking your adds is the exact same war game publishers are having against pirating (and look how well that war is going).
    The core problem is that internet was meant to be free, people are trying to control it (and they usually want you to see that) and that makes some "rebel". This is a losing war because we have two sides here, one that don't like to have their "freedom" diminished and one that loves to prove that they can actually raise and defeat your challenge (and trust me, it is fun to break a lock not for what it is inside... but to prove you can actually break something that was meant to keep you out)

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    when you adblock you are stealing people's wages, and fuck you for doing it.
    If you're making ads that are so shite that they motivate me to block your ads, you don't deserve your wages. So go and... you know, f yourself.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I could only take about 45 seconds of that response video. When I heard "There is no justification for using AdBlock" and "If you use AdBlock you are a leech" I couldn't take any more.

If these sites want people to stop using AdBlock, they need to invest money into making being advertised to less frustrating. Ads on Youtube that are as long as the videos themselves (longer in a lot of cases) is not winning you any support. Banner ads with Trojan auto execute script built in, also not winning you any support. Obnoxiously loud auto-run ads on every page, not winning you support. Full page wrap ads that bog the loading down to a crawl, not winning you support. Obnoxious banners flashing neon colors enough to cause seizures, not winning you any support.

If they want people to not mind being marketed to, they need to come up with less intrusive methods.

As to the first video, I wouldn't support that shit at all. More people using AdBlock would exacerbate the backlash. I don't tell anyone about AdBlock anymore. If someone gets as sick of ads as I have, they will find it for themselves.

Eventually Adblock or any similar service will evolve into a more direct installed application that diverts the only possible way ads can tell if you "Viewed" it.
    Making it impossible to tell if it was seen or not. Which will then force companies to create more intrusive ads in order to maintain the status quo, which will exacerbate the problem, which will lead to an endless cycle of Adblock updating and Corporations making ads worse in order to beat it and leaving the viewers and providers stuck in the middle getting shafted by the Corporations.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if they're not making money at all. Let some other chump foot the bill, I'm going to keep using Adblock.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    Here's an analogy to put some perspective on this (I'm sorry im not very good at this lol)

Content providers are like people who hand out free candy. Lots of people like free candy so lots of people show up.

Content providers cant afford to keep giving out free candy and the only current option is to let someone with alot of money give them some for each person they let him hit in the head with a pebble.

People will keep coming back, cause it's free freakin candy and pebbles arent gonna cause any real harm and are just annoying for a seconds.

But eventually alot of people are gonna get sick of getting hit in the head with pebbles. Some people stop going to the candy and some people wear helmets.

The corporation stops giving the provider money for every person who wears a helmet, so the content provider lets people pay him for the candy and he doesnt let them get hit.

But then it's no longer free candy and a bunch of people stop coming.

The provider now get's alot less money and can't give away nearly as much candy anymore.

In this situation who is to blame? The people who don't want to get hit with pebbles for not taking one for the provider or the corporation who doesn't give the provider an option in what to do to keep giving away free really good candy?
    The problem with that analogy is that it wasn't people getting hit with pebbles that caused the change, it was that the pebbles kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Soon people were having rocks thrown at them, and decided "I like candy, but this rock shit needs to stop. Pebbles were one thing, but I am being ambushed, and assaulted now."

Deleted
    I'm surprised the guy who made the video response didn't run an add half way through. Well, maybe he did and I just didn't see it (see what I did there).

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    I think the best part is how much he rails on the adblock devs for asking for donations when he asks for donations in the descriptions of his videos. Dude's about as intelligent as your average pancake.
    Yea, he's basically demanding money for content any 12 year old kid can do.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

What drove me to install adblock - I was watching episodes of South Park on their website, and the commercial volume was hiked up WAY TOO LOUD. It was startling and unpleasant. I went to the forums to complain and noticed others before me had already brought the issue up. Someone replied "Just download Adblock", and for me, the rest is history.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry too much about 'AdBlock' becoming defunct.

Think of the situation as similar to piracy, in the sense that while there are a a few people around the world constantly looking for ways to better secure their content, there are millions more looking for ways around it. They're simply outmanned, and will always be when it comes to the internet. Even if it's not AdBlock you're using in the future, there will always be something.

Just as an aside, I can't remember if I mentioned in my last post that there are a few things that I have/will contribute to that offer 'premium' services at a small cost. This topic actually pushed me to do something I was considering, though, and contribute $50 to a YouTuber who is accepting donations to pay for his wife's cancer treatment and medication. Maybe it was because he didn't use loud, flashing banners and try to invade my system that I was so disposed to help out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    No, you know what's fucking easy? Making banner ads that don't flash or make noise without my permission.

Jesus.

Forget the "watch my ads!" "no, we don't want to!" war. Just make the ads tolerable again and all the reasonable people will turn Adblock back off. I know I certainly would. I know how important revenue is to sites like MMOC, but it's much, much, MUCH more a priority for me to not be agitated all the time while browsing my top-used site by slow loads (super huge flashy video ads), loud and unexpected noises interfering with my music that's currently playing and also that shatter my concentration when trying to READ TEXT ON A TEXT BASED SITE, and Malware warnings.
    See, I'm not sure that I would, now. The cat's out of the bag, while some ads will be acceptable and minimal-impact, others will continue to flash at you and download shit onto your computer without your consent. I know this post is heavy on idioms, but they can't put the genie back in the bottle, malware ads will still exist and in my opinion it's just common sense with regards to online security to keep your adblocker running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Kids these days just want everything for free. Then they moan about how high the price of things have become ("How can a cinema ticket cost so much!? I mean; I've been downloading films and TV series for free from torrent sites for year but I still want cheap cinema tickets damn it!").

It's sickening really. You won't sit through a few adverts but still want everything for nothing and want it now. You disgust me.

Keep using ad block and all you'll see is less and less available good content from people trying to make a living out of making videos. Then you'll moan that there's nothing good on the internet to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Navitas View Post
    Kids these days just want everything for free. Then they moan about how high the price of things have become ("How can a cinema ticket cost so much!? I mean; I've been downloading films and TV series for free from torrent sites for year but I still want cheap cinema tickets damn it!").

It's sickening really. You won't sit through a few adverts but still want everything for nothing and want it now. You disgust me.

Keep using ad block and all you'll see is less and less available good content from people trying to make a living out of making videos. Then you'll moan that there's nothing good on the internet to watch.
    You're calling other people kids, but you're surprisingly ignorant of the supply/demand and customer/supplier dynamics. It's more fun and social to go out to a cinema and see movies, but if the price is too high, people will just download movies and watch them at home. The cinema operator is to blame in this case, if the price were more reasonable, something people were willing to pay, they'd sell more seats. They're increasingly losing their monopoly on new releases, and the tech-savvy will go straight to the internet, where the price is right.

I live in Australia, and I think our country has a reputation for having the highest rate of piracy in the world (or at least, we're up there). It's no coincidence that we've always had to wait days, weeks or months for the latest video games, movies and TV shows to reach our shores, so they've had a chance to be played elsewhere first. It's a standing insult that we have to wait longer than everyone else to experience content, especially with the prevalence of 'episode recaps', reviews, spoilers and other content instantly available, and often easy to accidentally stumble across, on the internet.

The cycle of contempt did not start with the customers, it started with the cynical content providers trying to impose unacceptable conditions on people who had an easy alternative to paying for it.

Adblockers have not and will not cause the death of content. Look at Kickstarter, and how much people are willing to 'kick in' to a project that appeals to them. If anything, funding streams like this have diversified and broadened the capacity for independent developers to provide interesting content that people actually want, and ad revenue had no part in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Personally i think anyone that uses the internet on a frequent bases and doesn't have adblock installed is a fool, if anyone wants to subject themselves willingly to pointless crap invading commercials just to support some websites financially then i would choose not to have that website in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnio View Post
    Personally i think anyone that uses the internet on a frequent bases and doesn't have adblock installed is a fool, if anyone wants to subject themselves willingly to pointless crap invading commercials just to support some websites financially then i would choose not to have that website in the first place.
    Agreed, there was a time where ads were just banners and still images on a page. Now they're animated, they have annoying sounds, they auto-play videos and other things that you don't want to see/hear. No ad I've ever seen have I ever clicked on or been interested in in any way, the way things are now, it's even more of a turn-off, and it's even more instrusive, which is why we just choose to get rid of them completely.

None of the sites I view that have ads could I not live without either. The good thing is, the sites I depend upon for things and check every day don't have ads anyway, so the rest is just filler.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2013-09-10 at 09:51 AM.

Deleted
    I don't know but isn't there a way to make sure pages don't know if you use adblock? How are they supposed to know if you see them or not? There will be stealth adblock soon i guess if normal adblocking won't work. Like sending back reply yeah i downloaded that and i displayed that but instead it won't display it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Ugh that video was unbearable, that condescending idiot should have all his mail filled with spam mail and annoying crap for advocating for advertisement. I hope he enjoys his 30 min video adds and loud cough drop ads while browsing the web along with the malware that come with some ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    I havent used adblock untill yesterday.

I was just chilling with some youtube stream chill out ibiza mix, some very very light lounge and electronic music.

Suddenly: BWAAAAAAP BRBRBRBR BWAAAAAP FWEEEENG BWAAAAP

Some fucking asshat commercial for a stupid car with fucking Dubstep on the background, the most shitty "music" ever concieved.

I went to turn it of but I noticed that in the one hour run time of the video, there are 5 adds...

So yeah got addblock now. Screw you and your damn commercials.

If websites didn't bombard me with adds, I wouldn't be using Addblock.

the day an international law is passed forbidding ads with sound and ads that cower essential details on a webpage, i will use adblocker.
    oh and this goes for sexually suggestive ads aswell..